USMLE RX and Kaplan during MSII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to go over both USMLE RX and kaplan Qbank during their MSII? I want to purchase both and do them during the year, then use world the month before the exam. Is it possible to even go through 5,000 questions during MSII? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Just use ONE qBank if you're going to use any... I actually used UW and reset it. Then also bought Kaplan and used that as a second one during my dedicated time.

I used UWorld, USMLERx, Gunner Training, some Exam Master, RR Goljan Path qbank, some First Aid qbook questions, and all the questions in the BRS books (Path, Phys, Bio, Neuro). you have plenty of time during MSII. i finished with a 249 (less than what I expected by am happy). oh btw, USMLERx was very predictive (off by 1 point), more so than UWorld (off by 5 points) and NBME (off my 9 points) for me,

I don't know how necessary it is to use a qbank for the entire MSII year. You don't learn the material needed to understand questions on that qbank until at least midway through MSII year. Perhaps you can buy the qbank for the last 3-6 months of MSII?

Alternatively, you may want to consider using a comprehensive study guide that can be your central source for review throughout the year. Traditionally, some people have bought the First Aid book and just annotated throughout the pages. Others have made flashcards for each subject or written notes. GunnerTraining is another alternative that allows annotation of flashcards and tracking of memory retention. GT is also web-based so access is avaliable whereever you have internet. Whatever you decide, I definitely would suggest a single resource that can serve as a comprehensive home base for your Step 1 review throughout the school year.

I don't know how necessary it is to use a qbank for the entire MSII year. You don't learn the material needed to understand questions on that qbank until at least midway through MSII year. Perhaps you can buy the qbank for the last 3-6 months of MSII?

Well, I was thinking about doing it based on organ system. Path and pharm are going to start respiratory in a couple of months, so I was going to do kaplan and RX questions for respiratory. Then I was going to do that for the rest of the year. By the end, I would have completed most of the questions, leaving me with world for the break before boards. Any thoughts on that?