USMLE Rx Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Time

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what people think about USMLE Rx. Especially those who used it for their prep. Was it useful, etc.

I had a look at it today and find it to be extremely user-unfriendly and very difficult to use - the FRED-format window may be ideal for a practice test but it is totally useless when reviewing - I end up losing tons of time just trying to scroll through their densely written discussion. I did recommend that they have an option - that one be able to toggle between window size.

Needless to say it was rated A- by the first aid authors (who incidentally happen to run the USMLERx:smuggrin:), so I want to have some independent opinion of forum members.

What I did note for example - and mind you, it may be my frustration speaking right now - is that questions are very inadequately organized, so that when you mark a particular area that you wanna be examined on, you end up having questions from other areas (same organ system).

Questions are tough - which is good. AND the First Aid correlation - well... as you would expect - there are a few errors - nothing major... a few problems with enumeration... I am sure they will take care of them in the next year's edition....:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

If you use the search function, you'll find that there have been a couple of discussions about it here. The general notion seems to be that it's not worth it because it doesn't add anything extra to what you're already getting in First Aid. None of the superstar step 1 people have vouched for it. :)

I'm on the fence, though, just because it's so darn cheap. $99 for 3 months if you're in AMSA is a pretty good deal, imo.

If you use the search function, you'll find that there have been a couple of discussions about it here. The general notion seems to be that it's not worth it because it doesn't add anything extra to what you're already getting in First Aid. None of the superstar step 1 people have vouched for it. :)

I'm on the fence, though, just because it's so darn cheap. $99 for 3 months if you're in AMSA is a pretty good deal, imo.

The questions that I had looked at (only about 20) and only in one particular area, which also happens to be something I feel very comfortable about had questions that were rather difficult. Just because it covers First
Aid means really nothing. All qbanks cover First Aid --- because that is what first aid is --- a compendium of high yield info. USMLE World is also covered in the First Aid, at least most of it. But that is not the point. It is how you ask questions that matters. IMHO.

I am interested in opinions on question quality and relevance (and depth), especially if you have already taken the beast. Basically what do you think about it.

The bank is relatively new, so most of the 250+ guys have not had a chance to see it due to this reason.

Basically: is it worth the time (please ignore the FA argument). I am increasingly growing disenchanted with FA (that I use religiously) and the rating. There is absolutely no transparency as to what methods were used to grade resources and what is more important - the number of people submitting their review.

thanks.

Thanks.

The bank is relatively new, so most of the 250+ guys have not had a chance to see it due to this reason.

It was available when I took it in 2006. I considered it, did a few free questions from it, and decided that it did not have a role in my plan.

QBank and USMLEWorld are not testing FA. They are testing what they believe is high yield information; there is much overlap but the differences are key.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey

I loved USMLERx for 3 things:

1.FA correlation
2.Great Answers
3.People (3rd,4th years recomm ) it to me.

I hated Kaplan! So...it was worked well...plus its cheaper.

but overall,i though i got more for my money with USMLERx. And I need a Kaplan refund :smuggrin:

I really like Kaplan and feel the questions are better than they have been in the past. Considering Kaplan was what everyone used before these other qbanks came out and people then were scoring just fine using KAPLAN qbank, lets us know that it does an adequate job of preparing for USMLE. It's not a waste of time to do as many questions as possible...now the KAPLAN comlex qbank is another topic all in and of itself...

OK, so our school is getting us this in a couple months, and I've been counting on it for the Kaplan perspective...is there something I should know?

Dragon,

If you do a search here you will see plenty of posts with people deprecating it.