USMLE score needed for each speciality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blakeb_212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link or info for what step score is the average for each specialty? I’m sure this has already been posted but I’m an incoming M1 and I’m just branching out of the pre-med forum haha

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have a link or info for what step score is the average for each specialty? I’m sure this has already been posted but I’m an incoming M1 and I’m just branching out of the pre-med forum haha

You can find the average step 1 (and 2) scores for each specialty on NRMP, see Charting Outcomes for US Seniors.

Regardless, you're going to do the best you can, right? It's not like if you find out you really like FM and you only need a 220 on step 1 to match, then you are going to just aim for a 220, you're still going to aim to do the very best you can on step 1 (even if you would be satisfied with "just" a 220). And maybe you want to do FM at MGH or Stanford, the big names of almost every specialty are going to be more competitive and most likely require higher than average step 1 scores.

Reactions: 1 user
You can find the average step 1 (and 2) scores for each specialty on NRMP, see Charting Outcomes for US Seniors.

Regardless, you're going to do the best you can, right? It's not like if you find out you really like FM and you only need a 220 on step 1 to match, then you are going to just aim for a 220, you're still going to aim to do the very best you can on step 1 (even if you would be satisfied with "just" a 220). And maybe you want to do FM at MGH or Stanford, the big names of almost every specialty are going to be more competitive and most likely require higher than average step 1 scores.
Thanks for the insight! I’m hoping to go into neurology or neurosurgery but still keeping an open mind so I’m just curious as to what I should be expecting to go for if I want to be realistic about my goals.

Thanks for the insight! I’m hoping to go into neurology or neurosurgery but still keeping an open mind so I’m just curious as to what I should be expecting to go for if I want to be realistic about my goals.
230ish for neuro is average.
Neuro surg is probably >250 average

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool, both could be good! But just keep an open mind, sometimes people change their minds a lot, from what looks really good "on paper," when they actually do a rotation in it. I liked neurology a lot and I still like it (though more for neurocritical care), but a neurology residency also means dealing with everything from different types of strokes, movement disorders like Parkinson's, the various dementias, and a lot more. Some people don't like dealing with those kinds of patients, while others love it.

Cool, both could be good! But just keep an open mind, sometimes people change their minds a lot, from what looks really good "on paper," when they actually do a rotation in it. I liked neurology a lot and I still like it (though more for neurocritical care), but a neurology residency also means dealing with everything from different types of strokes, movement disorders like Parkinson's, the various dementias, and a lot more. Some people don't like dealing with those kinds of patients, while others love it.
Yeah the patient population for neurology is unique compared to many others. I really enjoy the academia/research side of neurology and hope to get into that at some point in my career. But yes, I will definitely keep an open mind!