USMLE Score - Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyudoctor22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shalom,

I know how the three digit USMLE Step 1 score works but I was curious what the two digit number means. An alum from my school got a 95 on Step 1 and another one got a 98 when they took it in 2000. Approximately what is that equal to on the three digit score (the one that I understand :) )?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was just a different way of reporting the score-but it is not a percentile. Also I thought that the two digit score encompassed a range of the three digit score -for example 99=240 & up. (htose numbers are just made up for illustrative purposes.)

From their website: http://www.usmle.org/FAQs/faqusmlescores.htm

The 2-digit score is not a percentile.The 2-digit score is derived from the 3-digit score. It is used in score reporting to meet requirements of some medical licensing authorities that the passing score be reported as 75. The 2-digit score is derived in such a way that a score of 75 always corresponds to the minimum passing score.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any specific formula or algorithm to explain the conversion between the two, other than the fact that 75 is always the "passing" cut-off and is currently equivalent to 182.

Members don't see this ad :)
"As stated in the USMLE Bulletin of Information and as explained in a previous posting to the USMLE website, the level of proficiency required to meet the recommended minimum passing level for each USMLE Step examination is reviewed periodically and may be adjusted at any time. Notice of such review and any adjustments are posted at the USMLE website.

At its December 2006 meeting, the Step 1 Committee conducted such a review, considering information from multiple sources including: 1) recommendations from physicians and scientists who participated in content-based standard-setting activities in the fall of 2006; 2) results of surveys of various groups concerning the appropriateness of current pass/fail standards for Step examinations; 3) trends in examinee performance; and 4) score precision and its effect on the pass/fail decision. As a result of this review, the Step 1 Committee decided to raise the three-digit score recommended to pass Step 1 from 182 to 185. The new minimum passing score will be applied to Step 1 examinations for which the first day of testing is on or after January 1, 2007. "

Thought you might like to know that passing is now a 185!

I got a 238 which was a 96, so a 95 is probably about a 235-236. A 98 would definitely be over a 240.

I got a 238 which was a 96, so a 95 is probably about a 235-236. A 98 would definitely be over a 240.

My 247 was a 99. Anyone else want to help narrow this down? I've wondered about this a while myself.

My 247 was a 99. Anyone else want to help narrow this down? I've wondered about this a while myself.

My 242 was 98. Is it possible this would change from year to year?

Few more responses and we can make a graph :D

Just guessing here, but I'm thinking greater than 245 is a 99.

I believe that there is some variability from year to year based on the exams and the population taking them. The ranges mentioned are probably pretty accurate though.