Usmle step 1 for c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1055769

I have seen the general recommendation here is to take USMLE as a DO student. For the class of 2024, Step 1 is going pass/fail, is it still better to take step 1 and pass it or just do Step 2 and try to get a good score on that? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

both, just having a pass on step1 will show your capable of at least the minimum, then a good Step2 will show you're also willing to work hard. Plus so much of doing well on step2 is having a good base from step1.

Reactions: 3 users
Take both.

I have also found that studying for STEP (granted I’m c/o 2023) has had me learning and integrating more content than my school has ever done for me, so that alone has made it worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just take step 1 and 2 even though it's a pain. Don't listen to the BS your school tells you especially if they say COMLEX is now the equivalent and sufficient. DO bias is hitting hard rn during interview season, so don't leave anything on the table. Be as similar, if not better than your MD counterparts. Even then, you may not get nearly the same treatment. As for the material, preparing and doing well on step gives you a very solid foundation for COMLEX as long as you don't blow off OMM. My dedicated time was solely focused on steps and then brushed up on some COMLEX specific material a few days before it.

You can’t take step 2 without taking step 1. That’s a piece of the change.

That's odd. My school makes it sound like there's reduced benefit in doing Step 1 since it's P/F now.
They mentioned how the comlex is "our" exam, and that we shouldn't have to divert ourselves to 2 tests

That's odd. My school makes it sound like there's reduced benefit in doing Step 1 since it's P/F now.
They mentioned how the comlex is "our" exam, and that we shouldn't have to divert ourselves to 2 tests
Don't listen to your school when it comes to boards. They want you to take COMLEX and enter FM/OMM. If this is your goal then that's fine.

It will be very very easy for MD PDs to brush over the app of an applicant who did not take STEP even if it is just P/F.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just take step 1 and 2 even though it's a pain. Don't listen to the BS your school tells you especially if they say COMLEX is now the equivalent and sufficient. DO bias is hitting hard rn during interview season, so don't leave anything on the table. Be as similar, if not better than your MD counterparts. Even then, you may not get nearly the same treatment. As for the material, preparing and doing well on step gives you a very solid foundation for COMLEX as long as you don't blow off OMM. My dedicated time was solely focused on steps and then brushed up on some COMLEX specific material a few days before it.
Did you find this to be sufficient for COMLEX? I'm planning on doing both since they're likely to both be p/f by the time c/o 2024 sits for each, plus Step 2 is uber important after all of these changes

I sometimes get the feeling that the DO schools have spotty advising. Unless if it's one of the really older, established ones

Did you find this to be sufficient for COMLEX? I'm planning on doing both since they're likely to both be p/f by the time c/o 2024 sits for each, plus Step 2 is uber important after all of these changes
Solid USMLE preparation should allow you to pass COMLEX with ease as long as you don't neglect OMM, ethics, and biostats. These topics can be covered in ~2-5 days. In the end you are still being graded relative to your peers. A lot of people walk out of step 2 feeling like they failed, but there comes a point during COMLEX 1+2 where it's comical. You aren't even mad you don't know the answer because I can give you another 10 years and you still wouldn't be able to answer some of their BS questions.

I sometimes get the feeling that the DO schools have spotty advising. Unless if it's one of the really older, established ones
I had a faculty tell me that he held position XYZ on the AOA. He was "informed" that COMLEX is now equivalent to USMLE. He believes PDs were instructed to and will evaluate COMLEX percentiles as = to USMLE percentiles... I said anesthesia is getting quite competitive, but he told me to just apply with COMLEX because me taking USMLE is a waste of time and a source of unnecessary stress....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users