USMLE Step 1 - Possible fail...Questions from Canadian Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spacecraft

Reaction score
Hello SDN:

I am booked to write Step 1 in 10 days.
I have no covered minimal material due to studying for Canadian FM boards. At this point what would a failure do for licensing in the USA? I am writing the exam with hopes to practice in Michigan at some point. I have no more extensions left. At this point am I better off not showing up for the exam and rebooking at a later time? Or should I write with a large probably of failure given I am not ready at this point? Would a fail but eventual pass on Step 1 affect ability to get a license in certain states?

I would appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN:

I am booked to write Step 1 in 10 days.
I have no covered minimal material due to studying for Canadian FM boards. At this point what would a failure do for licensing in the USA? I am writing the exam with hopes to practice in Michigan at some point. I have no more extensions left. At this point am I better off not showing up for the exam and rebooking at a later time? Or should I write with a large probably of failure given I am not ready at this point? Would a fail but eventual pass on Step 1 affect ability to get a license in certain states?

I would appreciate any input.

I wouldn't take it. Let the permit expire if you think it's extremely likely you might fail.