USMLE Step 1 Prep Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christi5784

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to take a Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Course? They are so expensive, but I would do it if it would help me to do better on the exam...

Members don't see this ad.

i think that it all varies.

after all, you have to remember what they said in class. otherwise, it is just a waste of time if u just go there and passively listen.

different people learn things differently. ask yourself if you can sit there for 8 hours a day and be able to retain all those information? or you would rather sit at home and study by yourself?

Reactions: 1 user
I agree w/ summer...you really have to decide based on your learning style...if you are the type of person that always went to class and retained most of your info from what was taught in class rather than reading books by yourself all day then Kaplan prep course might be a good thing for you...

On the contrary, if you are the type of person that dozes off in class or doesn't retain much and u'd much rather sit down comfortably and go through the books alone then I think you'd find the prep course to be extremely draining/tiring...not to mention a waste of time and money.

I personally fall in the latter category....i never went to class....didn't attend any lectures but instead spent my mornings studying on my own...and I did just fine in my classes and the usmle...so decide what works for you and choose accordingly...
G'luck:)

To elaborate on the "learning styles" issue...

How did years 1 and 2 go for you? Were you able to focus and study efficiently? Did you do reasonably well? If the answer is yes than there is no concrete reason to drop thousands of dollars on a review class.

None of those classes are magic bullets, how many people did you know in undergrad who dutifully went to Kaplan or PR for the MCAT and still got a 24?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone (especially those of you in TX) done the What You Need To Know course? I have heard really good things about it and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it!

Has anyone (especially those of you in TX) done the What You Need To Know course? I have heard really good things about it and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it!

I have heard good thinks about it too. I was thinking of taking it in May or June. They will have online course starting from May 19th. I might take online course to save money on accommodation and flying. They have promotional video at http://course.doctorsintraining.com

Anyone taking class right now? What do you think about it?