Overthink

2+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Forgive me if this has already been discussed: Cureus | A Predictive Model for USMLE Step 1 Scores

"Step 1 scores did not correlate to age, gender, Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) score, number of days studied, or perception of preparedness."

Critique: "First, the predictive model was developed from the experiences of one medical school and our overall sample size was small with a poor survey response rate. This may explain why other studies have been able to correlate MCAT scores to Step 1 scores while ours did not."

Lawper

In 4D
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
tot chat
Critique: "First, the predictive model was developed from the experiences of one medical school and our overall sample size was small with a poor survey response rate. This may explain why other studies have been able to correlate MCAT scores to Step 1 scores while ours did not."
Well that's a nice journal to publish my n=1 studies in!

OP
O

Overthink

2+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I found this article from the the MCAT Wikipedia entry, which claimed MCAT was not correlated with Step 1.

Last edited:

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I found this article from the the MCAT Wikipedia entry, which claimed MCAT was not correlated with STEP 1.
Even the best meta analysis we have only show a moderate correlation at best, and a weak correlation to clinical abilities.

Reactions: Goro

P0ke

M3
2+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'd say the MCAT was more problem-solving using a small knowledge-base, whereas the STEP 1 is more of knowing how to connect the dots on an absolutely massive knowledge-base.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Even the best meta analysis we have only show a moderate correlation at best, and a weak correlation to clinical abilities.
This. Alas, it's still the only thing from premed that gives a hint into student performance in med school.

Reactions: AnatomyGrey12

trickydick

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I would be willing to bet that if everyone that took the MCAT also took Step 1 the correlation would be much stronger. But no way to ever prove that.

libertyyne

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student

Reactions: Cigar and lpp06