USMLE Step 1 Scores Not Correlated with MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overthink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been discussed: Cureus | A Predictive Model for USMLE Step 1 Scores

"Step 1 scores did not correlate to age, gender, Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) score, number of days studied, or perception of preparedness."

Critique: "First, the predictive model was developed from the experiences of one medical school and our overall sample size was small with a poor survey response rate. This may explain why other studies have been able to correlate MCAT scores to Step 1 scores while ours did not."

Members don't see this ad.

Critique: "First, the predictive model was developed from the experiences of one medical school and our overall sample size was small with a poor survey response rate. This may explain why other studies have been able to correlate MCAT scores to Step 1 scores while ours did not."

Well that's a nice journal to publish my n=1 studies in!

Reactions: 5 users
I found this article from the the MCAT Wikipedia entry, which claimed MCAT was not correlated with Step 1.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I found this article from the the MCAT Wikipedia entry, which claimed MCAT was not correlated with STEP 1.

Even the best meta analysis we have only show a moderate correlation at best, and a weak correlation to clinical abilities.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say the MCAT was more problem-solving using a small knowledge-base, whereas the STEP 1 is more of knowing how to connect the dots on an absolutely massive knowledge-base.

Even the best meta analysis we have only show a moderate correlation at best, and a weak correlation to clinical abilities.

I would be willing to bet that if everyone that took the MCAT also took Step 1 the correlation would be much stronger. But no way to ever prove that.

1okrdt.jpg

Reactions: 1 users