USMLE Step 1

Discussion in 'Step I' started by DrIng, Mar 18, 2004.

1. DrIng

DrIng Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can all pass!!! I truly believe this.
    I just got my results over the Net (thank you for those suggestions) so I don?t know how well I did, but I passed Step 1 and Step 2. I took them concurrently, S1 on Monday S2 on Tuesday. Both exams I finished over an hour early.
    I had adopted a rather philosophical attitude beforehand so I wasn?t too stressed but many of the review sources and questions were rather intimidating but I thought I would give it a go.
    My background, I?m an IMG who has just graduated but did less than average on my classwork in the non-clinical years as I came from a non-science background. (Literally before I started medical school my last formal science class was in grade 10.)
    My preparation time was minimal- I decided to apply in very late November, took several weeks off studying in December, and then started working as a fulltime PGY1 in Australia in January and sat the test February 22/23. Most of my preparation/review was what I managed to get done at home at the end of a 9 hour work day or one my day off. My main source was First Aid and drips and drabs of other sources such as Youles Jewels. I found the pharmacology and micro sections of First Aid especially useful. Very little questions on anatomy and luckily not much biochemistry. There were quite a few questions of the behavioral type- what would you say etc- all very commonsense stuff. I guessed quite a few questions, came out of the Step 1 exam thinking I was reasonably confident on about 50% of my answers?
    I worked right up until the Sunday morning when I finished work (including working 8am-9pm on the Saturday), got on the plane for a 2 hour flight, found my hotel and turned up for the exam the following morning. Now I may well not have done brilliantly but I passed which given I want to go into a ?non-competitive? specialty is all that really matters. I know that these comments are a little random but in short, If I can pass this exam anyone can. Keep having faith in yourself, say your prayers, Good luck. YOU CAN DO THIS.

2. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

:eek:

Geez, you took step 2 a day after step 1? You must be smart. There is a lot of overlap between the two tests, but there's also a lot of stuff that's not overlapped meaning you have to cram almost 2 times the amount of info into your brain for those 2 days. Not only that, but to not even give yourself much of a break between those two tests! :eek: Oh well, they used to give paper USMLE exams that lasted 2 days. I guess that us newer generation of docs are a bit spoiled when it comes to test taking. Congrats on passing them both though!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    DrIng

DrIng Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks. Step 2 is a lot easier and related a great deal more to the sort of thing you do on the ward etc so that made it easier to remember. For me Step 2 was less of a cram job that Ste 1 was.
    There was quite a bit of overlap, especially with questions of the psychosocial nature. Overall it's not as scary as we were led to believe and in a way no gap between them made it easier you just keep in the groove. Of coruse I stayed in a ncie hotel. In fact I stayed up too late the night in ebtween reading a bad novel...

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Congrats on getting them out of the way.