USMLE step 2 HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugbyboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My sister is re-taking her USMLE part 2. She is a FMG and is taking part 2 before part 1. She failed on her first attempt, got 70 %. She took part 2 before because she felt that since the last two years of her medical school were clinical rotations she would be best prepared for it. However, she did face some science questions in part 2. I feel that she was just not prepared well enough. She took Kaplan and if it is anything like kaplan's mcat program, I could understand why! She is very dishearted, but intends to take it again in april.

I would be very grateful for any replies to the following questions.

1) Can she get a decent score in part 2 if she has not taken part 1 or not re-learned all the basic sciences?

2) What preparation company comes closest to the real thing. For mcat EK are far more accuarte in practice exams then kaplan.

3) If she was to take part 2 what sciences should she re-learn?

4) Is there a website that has the complete breakdown for the steps. Insofar as the material that each tests on.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The USMLE can be a nightmare if you don't use the right material. I have bought a series of small books on each specialty and they were absolutely brilliant! ( I scored 99 on step 2 after just three weeks' study.)

Write a personal message with your e-mail and I would be glad to help herin any way I can..I was in her shoes just two months ago.

IT CAN BE DONE....and there is an easy and a hard way!

kiwi, which small series did you use?

I used Adam Brochert's Platinum series. The booklets are about $24 each, I think, and they were excellent. I supplemented that with his book " Crush the boards" for step 2. I thought First Aid for step2 was poor, although the step 1 version was really excellent.

A good idea is to log onto Amazon.com, click on text books and read what other students/exam takers thought of them.

Study high yield stuff...and high yield only. There are no rare diseases or treatments on the exam, so big texts will only waste your time and give you less time to concentrate on important stuff. Also, Kaplan's Q-bank for step 2 wasn't nearly as good as step 1 Q bank.

Good luck, guys!