USMLE Step 2 Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any programs that

a. Require Step 2 (either USMLE or COMLEX) for application

OR

b. Require USMLE Step 2 (NOT COMLEX) for matriculation

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone aware of any programs that

a. Require Step 2 (either USMLE or COMLEX) for application

OR

b. Require USMLE Step 2 (NOT COMLEX) for matriculation

Thanks in advance.

You don't need to take step 2 before you apply, but the majority of programs want you to have taken Step 2 before you start your internship.

You don't need to take step 2 before you apply, but the majority of programs want you to have taken Step 2 before you start your internship.

Must it be USMLE, or will they accept COMLEX II (similarly to accepting COMLEX I)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Must it be USMLE, or will they accept COMLEX II (similarly to accepting COMLEX I)?

If you are a DO and you wanna apply to our program, we welcome you to apply, we will take seriously the best candidates whether you are MD, DO or even FMG. But realize that there IS discrimination against DO's. If you want to be taken seriously for an allopathic residency you better have USMLEs.

We've had a few applicants that submitted only COMLEX Step I and we dont really know how to make heads or tails of them. You can have 99%ile in the COMLEX... it means nothing to us. Is a 99%ile COMLEX necessarily equivalent to 99%ile in USMLE? Apples to apples...

-H

If you are a DO and you wanna apply to our program, we welcome you to apply, we will take seriously the best candidates whether you are MD, DO or even FMG. But realize that there IS discrimination against DO's. If you want to be taken seriously for an allopathic residency you better have USMLEs.

We've had a few applicants that submitted only COMLEX Step I and we dont really know how to make heads or tails of them. You can have 99%ile in the COMLEX... it means nothing to us. Is a 99%ile COMLEX necessarily equivalent to 99%ile in USMLE? Apples to apples...

-H

I realize that - I took USMLE Step I, I just didn't know if I needed to take Step II. Not in terms of helping my application, but in terms of a requirement of having USMLE Step II completed (as indicated on nearly every programs FREIDA sites).

I realize that - I took USMLE Step I, I just didn't know if I needed to take Step II. Not in terms of helping my application, but in terms of a requirement of having USMLE Step II completed (as indicated on nearly every programs FREIDA sites).

I think the goal is to be eventually licensed by the allopathic or osteopathic board. Technically i think some places will allow either, though at most places the USMLEs will be out right required or it may be 'encouraged'.

I think the goal is to be eventually licensed by the allopathic or osteopathic board. Technically i think some places will allow either, though at most places the USMLEs will be out right required or it may be 'encouraged'.

Do you have to take the whole USMLE series to be certified by the ABR?? I was under the impression that completing an allopathic residency qualified you for the allopathic board exam which then made you board certified. I certainly wasn't planning on taking the USMLE clinical exam in addition to the COMLEX one. Thanks for your responses.

Do you have to take the whole USMLE series to be certified by the ABR?? I was under the impression that completing an allopathic residency qualified you for the allopathic board exam which then made you board certified. I certainly wasn't planning on taking the USMLE clinical exam in addition to the COMLEX one. Thanks for your responses.

Sorry I don't know the answer. You can contact the abr. the website is www.theabr.org...

for allopathics, how do you know if you should take CK early? they say if you did well on step 1, don't take step 2. what does doing well mean? are there circumstances where if you did well you should still take it?

i'm in the 240-245 range, middle class rank (no AOA), and have no pubs or significant research, CV is kind of pathetic as well. i'm aiming at a mid-low tier program. do i take step 2 ck in hopes of getting an equally good score and solidifying my 'academic potential.'? or is it just a liability to take step 2 at this point? i was thinking about studying for it, taking it, and cancelling my exam if i felt i didn't ace it. what do you think?

for allopathics, how do you know if you should take CK early? they say if you did well on step 1, don't take step 2. what does doing well mean? are there circumstances where if you did well you should still take it?

i'm in the 240-245 range, middle class rank (no AOA), and have no pubs or significant research, CV is kind of pathetic as well. i'm aiming at a mid-low tier program. do i take step 2 ck in hopes of getting an equally good score and solidifying my 'academic potential.'? or is it just a liability to take step 2 at this point? i was thinking about studying for it, taking it, and cancelling my exam if i felt i didn't ace it. what do you think?

I would not take Step 2 early.

Just for everyone's info, the ABR doesn't have any requirements concerning the USMLE for board certification - just completion of an ACGME residency.