USMLE STEP P/F and the future of picking PM&R applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butterfly23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I randomly heard that USMLE STEP 1 would be only P/F, and there would be no scores reported. Not all med schools have PM&R rotations. This is what I think it will happen
The greedy organization aka ABPM&R will see this opportunity to make more money. After Step 2, I see ABPM&R creating the "ENTRANCE to PM&R exam" and charge a lot of money to the medical students applying to PM&R
I definely see other fields doing same thing
what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

My gf is an ortho resident and her department has already joined gen surg, plastic, nsg, ENT, Uro, and ophtho to start creating a "surgical entrance exam". Interesting how surgeons have already started designing their test.

EM will continue with their SLOEs.

Chances are that PM&R, psych will continue with the status quo. The first change I forsee would be adoption of SLOEs. These fields already had the least emphasis on step 1 frequently seeing 210s match to top programs and 230s go unmatched.

More academically oriented fields like radiology, derm, neuro, anesthesiology will likely go the path of making Step 2 the new holy grail.

My gf is an ortho resident and her department has already joined gen surg, plastic, nsg, ENT, Uro, and ophtho to start creating a "surgical entrance exam". Interesting how surgeons have already started designing their test.

EM will continue with their SLOEs.

Chances are that PM&R, psych will continue with the status quo. The first change I forsee would be adoption of SLOEs. These fields already had the least emphasis on step 1 frequently seeing 210s match to top programs and 230s go unmatched.

More academically oriented fields like radiology, derm, neuro, anesthesiology will likely go the path of making Step 2 the new holy grail.

Who knew P/F would just generate a litany of new tests! They should have one for rad onc too!

Reactions: 1 user