USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

I scored 252 in UWSA, 240 in NBME 4 and 221 in NBME 6 (which I did first as my baseline).

UWSA questions are more vague than UW qbank, so that makes them a little more difficult

I was on 11/2, permit link still there. Damn.

just a tangent...

Joshua 1:9 is acutally -- "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

unless ur using a different version....

anyways, back to step 2 conversation...

Reactions: 2 users
Please fill out this form . you will see exam experience of 180 ppl after filling out the form. :)

here are the results if you haven't done any steps yet !

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up with a 269. I'm trying to remember what my percent correct was for UWorld...I think it was 82 or 83.

I'm not able to brag about this score on SDN with all of you superstars, but I'll take it. It served it's purpose. I delayed taking it to avoid reporting a score that was lower than my Step 1, and I ended up scoring higher than my Step 1...It was pretty tough to study when I already had all of my interviews lined up. Happy enough about it :) Now awaiting CS :-\

congras on the amazing score. kindly elaborate more. What resources you think helped your score. Thanks
I ended up with a 269. I'm trying to remember what my percent correct was for UWorld...I think it was 82 or 83.

I'm not able to brag about this score on SDN with all of you superstars, but I'll take it. It served it's purpose. I delayed taking it to avoid reporting a score that was lower than my Step 1, and I ended up scoring higher than my Step 1...It was pretty tough to study when I already had all of my interviews lined up. Happy enough about it :) Now awaiting CS :-\

congras on the amazing score. kindly elaborate more. What resources you think helped your score. Thanks

Thanks.

I can tell you what I did...

During the year, I tried to do Uworld at least once plus redo incorrect questions. If time, do them twice (surgery, for example). I only did around 300 questions of Uworld for IM, for which I regret. I wish I did all of them. Instead, I read Step Up and did MKSAP questions. Bad move. I also did UWISE for OB and the Kaplan videos for peds (awesome videos... Wish I did them all year with Uworld.)

I took a month to study and do interviews. During this time, I focused on doing all of the Uworld questions and taking short notes to review later. I also concentrated on the IM Kaplan lectures. I finished the qbank with a few days left. I then redid some of my incorrects, read over my notes, and watched peds Kaplan lectures.

I hope this helps. Good luck everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks.

I can tell you what I did...

During the year, I tried to do Uworld at least once plus redo incorrect questions. If time, do them twice (surgery, for example). I only did around 300 questions of Uworld for IM, for which I regret. I wish I did all of them. Instead, I read Step Up and did MKSAP questions. Bad move. I also did UWISE for OB and the Kaplan videos for peds (awesome videos... Wish I did them all year with Uworld.)

I took a month to study and do interviews. During this time, I focused on doing all of the Uworld questions and taking short notes to review later. I also concentrated on the IM Kaplan lectures. I finished the qbank with a few days left. I then redid some of my incorrects, read over my notes, and watched peds Kaplan lectures.

I hope this helps. Good luck everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My exam is on the 27th, do you guys think it will take more than the usual 3 weeks for my results to be released?

Just finished the test and feel the need to vent. I have never felt so bad following an exam. The first 5 sections were a joke. The final 3 sections were much more what I expected and were very manageable. I honestly don't know if I even passed.
Scored 272 on step 1 and was 81% on Uworld first pass. I spent 2 weeks reading FA step 2 and doing Uworld and was pretty confident going in. I just can't get this sick feeling out of my stomach! Hopefully, I surprise myself!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished the test and feel the need to vent. I have never felt so bad following an exam. The first 5 sections were a joke. The final 3 sections were much more what I expected and were very manageable. I honestly don't know if I even passed.
Scored 272 on step 1 and was 81% on Uworld first pass. I spent 2 weeks reading FA step 2 and doing Uworld and was pretty confident going in. I just can't get this sick feeling out of my stomach! Hopefully, I surprise myself!

Why is everyone feeling so horrible about this exam? Is it just being curved crazily, or are people feeling like they have to guess a lot more than on USMLE World, or what?

Why is everyone feeling so horrible about this exam? Is it just being curved crazily, or are people feeling like they have to guess a lot more than on USMLE World, or what?

It has to be the curve. There's no possible way that I scored more raw questions correct on Step 2 than Step 1.

Pretty sure there are no score releases this week due to christmas.

Nope, they came out today like a usual Tuesday. I was a little surprised and didn't even check my email until a few hours after they came out because I too assumed they would not come out today.

its because the stems are really long and often times you have to guess between 2 choices.

This is spot on. To those who have yet to take it, READ THE QUESTION FIRST! I literally laughed in the testing center when I saw how long some of the question stems were. It was ridiculous. Just an entire screen full of text.

The usmle exams seem to be becoming more convoluted as they try to make sure enough people fail for them to justify administering them and charging us so much money. "Problem" is with the LCME accreditation, we all have damn near the same curriculum and standards, so we're all able to pass with minimal proficiency (the original purpose of these things) with relative ease (this is actually a good thing for us, but again, a 100% pass rate on an exam makes universally requiring the exam hard to justify). On top of that, the overuse/over-reliance of residency programs on these exams as a screening tool further distracts from their real purpose.

Finally took the exam today, stems weren't longer than UW most of the time, I finished most blocks with 5-10 minutes to spare, so I could go over my marked questions, which were more than I'd like to admit.

I honestly think this is not a difficult test, as Step 1 is, but a strange test where there can be lots of ambiguity, especially in the "next best step"/"most appropriate next step" questions

I just hope to score higher than in Step 1 (246) so now the wait begins

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Yeah, with a 272 on Step 1, I would also be worried that I failed if I were you.

You may want to start thinking about scheduling another date and maybe doing another pass of UWorld in between the time you get your score.

Reactions: 3 users
Alright so its been a while now since Ive had my score got it 23/12/13 ... im a Carib IMG from Canada and have been posting frequently recently. Just wanted to share a somewhat disappointing/diff experience compared to SDN standards.
Background: Step 1 (248), Clerkships: shelf 80s- low 90s, finished surgery last rotation 10/2013
Prep time 2 months:
1mo (october)- forcing myself to do some kaplan qbank and DIT which was brutal lost some motivation there but i was burnt out from back to back clerkships and surgery so it was kind of a break
2mo (november)- started Uworld second pass.. 1st pass was 77% timed random during rotations in prep for SHELFs
- finished qbnk at 81% mostly timed 44 random q's, was weak in OBGYN PEDS which i knew from shelf marks
- NBME 6 4 weeks out was a 252
- UWSA 3 weeks out was a 253
- NBME 4 2 weeks out was a 242 - was wondering why i had dropped I was actually increasing the frequency of my blocks to 3-4/day vs 2-3 earlier in studying
- 2 weeks of MTB highlighting and going through wrong answers/marked qs on UWORLD

EXAM day: felt crappy, really rushed in my 1st block then got into a rhythm later on but material was not what i expected. I had some uworld Gimmes but I generally felt that I didnt get my teeth in the way i felt with STep 1 and even UWSA. I kept going though feeling pretty fatigued by block 8.

Results: 238.. dropped 10 from step 1 but i'm still applying to Canada for FM and to the states for FM or IM and considering EM (which may be limited now due to my score) pretty bumbed out but in retrospect i should have seen it coming.
Advice: besides all the projections we talk about here on SDN i would say write the test ASAP after your last clerkship.. more time for me ended up costing me marks every day it seems... i would do UWORLD and UWSA again but not NBMEs they didnt reflect the content at all.. most of all WRITE EARLY! hope you have a happy holiday.

Medical students are mostly neurotic nancies who have to be melodramatic about everything and anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright guys about to start going into full prep mode for this exam.
Books:
Gonna do MTB2 (full) + MTB3 (non/IM)

Qbanks:
USMLERx

KaplanQbank

Uworld

I've had to debate about which resources to use for way to long (FA for CK, DIT, step up 2 ck, kaplan course, secrets) Seems like nothing out there is really satisfactory. I'll have to hope I can do pretty good focusing on these 5 resources. Wish me luck!

Books:

Qbanks:
USMLERx

KaplanQbank

Uworld

I've had to debate about which resources to use for way to long (FA for CK, DIT, step up 2 ck, kaplan course, secrets) Seems like nothing out there is really satisfactory. I'll have to hope I can do pretty good focusing on these 5 resources. Wish me luck!

I am putting a plan too. I don't remember anybody used Rx for CK. Also, no body liked Kaplan Qbank

Books:

Qbanks:
USMLERx

KaplanQbank

Uworld

Did you pass Step 1 already?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What time of day do they usually release results? I took mine 12/23 and I am thinking it should be any day now.

Super super stressed. Feel like Step 2 is going to be a massive fail for me. I'm scheduled to take it sometime at the end of the year. I felt much more confident in my abilities for Step 1, but for Step 2 it's just extremely difficult. I have my OB shelf coming up in a week, and with 1 block of UWorld questions left, I'm at a 51% average.

I don't see how some people solely used UWorld for their prep and did significantly better, when you have people that used MTB, SUTS2, UWorld, and do lower.

**serenity now**
**serenity now**

Super super stressed. Feel like Step 2 is going to be a massive fail for me. I'm scheduled to take it sometime at the end of the year. I felt much more confident in my abilities for Step 1, but for Step 2 it's just extremely difficult. I have my OB shelf coming up in a week, and with 1 block of UWorld questions left, I'm at a 51% average.

I don't see how some people solely used UWorld for their prep and did significantly better, when you have people that used MTB, SUTS2, UWorld, and do lower.

**serenity now**
**serenity now**

First off, relax. Many people have the same problem as you and its not impossible. Next, have you identified why you are missing so many questions? Also what other materials have you used?

Feb is still early for someone who is taking the step at the end of the year. Have you done your IM/Surg rotations yet?

I also recommend you don't take it so late. Summer is better because you want to focus on audition rotations and up your chances for interviews.

**serenity now**
**serenity now**

i surmise it's because by not spreading themselves so thin, they were able to direct more of their attention towards uworld and diligently work through each question/explanation. IMO, uworld offers the best ROI of your time.

scheduled for step 2 ck on august 4th. Doing uworld now. Read MTB2 and using FA step 2 ck for now. anyone use the Kaplan online review course for IM? and if so did that help because i don't want to shell out like a thousand dollars and not have it be worth it. Also i technically have less than 2 months now. any suggestions? thanks

Does this apply to cs too? Or just ck?

Originally Posted by clarabelle
Word on the street is if your permit disappears after you take your test but before your eligibility period is up, it means you passed. This makes sense because if you hadn't passed, you *might* want to squeeze in a retake before your eligibility period expires. I've heard that people that haven't passed have reported that their form stayed up. Just hearsay, but encouraging.

This is not true. I was in my eligibility period and my permit completely disappeared. I unfortunately did not pass my exam. The permit disappearing means you will get your result that week.

scheduled for step 2 ck on august 4th. Doing uworld now. Read MTB2 and using FA step 2 ck for now. anyone use the Kaplan online review course for IM? and if so did that help because i don't want to shell out like a thousand dollars and not have it be worth it. Also i technically have less than 2 months now. any suggestions? thanks

I'm an recently graduated IMG, scheduled for CK on August 20th and currently taking the Kaplan IM Board review course live, halfway through it today. I find it helpful for a few reasons, but there are a few things to be aware of just so if you do decide to take it, you aren't surprised if you have certain expectations that aren't met. Basically, it's nine or ten days long, 3 different lecturers, and it only covers the Internal Medicine portion of the exam for CK, so you need to have another solid source for ob/gyn/peds/surg, etc. They do touch a bit of preventive, biostats and EMed in the class too, but it's coming in the next few days for me, so I can't comment on that yet.

-The course is not at all a content review - it's basically a huge workbook with "drill" type questions and the questions that people most commonly get wrong on all of the exams (step 2 ck, step 3 and IM boards). There are little explanations at the end of each chapter that give you the answers if you didn't catch them during the discussion.
-It's set up by systems/diseases, so for example, you are presented with an angina or a CHF vignette, and they give you 5 or 6 most commonly tested questions about those topics, and he walks you through the management algorithms - first step in management, best initial test, most accurate test, most effective therapy, etc. It works like that for basically every disease, which is good because it keeps things organized.
-Ideally, you should use it with a content review source like kaplan lecture notes or merge it with wherever you are taking notes for your UWorld explanations. That's how I've been able to benefit from it since it helped to fill in some gaps in my knowledge base. The way to best use the course is as a supplement or a step up to cram a bunch of facts before you approach a qbank, or if you notice yourself consistently getting certain things wrong in uworld, this will probably help you iron out where your mistakes are coming from.
-I was told in no uncertain terms, that the best way to use the workbook is straight up memorize those most commonly tested things that are listed in the workbook and beyond that, there is no easy way to do it. People who've taken the class before me have said that their scores went from around 210s to 235s after this class, so I think it's worth a try.
Hope that helps!

Yeswanth, how about NBME scores how are they? Are you usually consistent with your scores? My UWSA was 2 points lower than my acutal score. but im very consistant with practice exam scores.

Can someone help me? I'm kind of getting some super anxiety for this Step 2 ck exam :(

I am going to do UW obviously...but can you guys comment on how good onlinemeded.org videos are? I was going to watch them + UW. I'm really bad at reading textbooks/review books, they put me to sleep. I enjoy videos better but there are a gazillion Kaplan ones and I only have 1 month to study for this on top of attending an elective. I need some short, high yeild videos and thus stumbled upon onlinemeded.org. Someone told me they were the Pathoma for Step 2 but i feel like that might be an exaggeration?

Oh and how is Step 2 secrets? Someone recommended it to me. Not sure if it's worth buying. My goal is 240+ on Step 2.

Thanks

Can someone help me? I'm kind of getting some super anxiety for this Step 2 ck exam :(

I am going to do UW obviously...but can you guys comment on how good onlinemeded.org videos are? I was going to watch them + UW. I'm really bad at reading textbooks/review books, they put me to sleep. I enjoy videos better but there are a gazillion Kaplan ones and I only have 1 month to study for this on top of attending an elective. I need some short, high yeild videos and thus stumbled upon onlinemeded.org. Someone told me they were the Pathoma for Step 2 but i feel like that might be an exaggeration?

Oh and how is Step 2 secrets? Someone recommended it to me. Not sure if it's worth buying. My goal is 240+ on Step 2.

Thanks

I found onlinemeded better for during the clerkship year. I rarely referenced it during CK study time. I don't know the exact total video time, but it was pretty long. There are also lots of errors, so make sure to fact check or have another resource at-hand while watching the videos. It was good, but no where near the level of Pathoma.

I figure since I'm a beneficiary of great SDN advice, I would go ahead and post my step 2 experience.

Step 1: 253
UW average (1st pass): ~72%
UW average (2nd pass): ~88%
UWSA: 251
Step 2: 261

I decided to pass up on using First Aid for step 2, even though it is considered the bible for step 1. I focused solely on UWorld and I'm glad that I did. My first pass through UWorld was during the course of 3rd year (used to study for clerkships). My second pass I did all ~2200 questions in a span of ~3 weeks, finishing 2 days before the test date. For the most part did only timed blocks. I feel this is key because part of doing well is reading quickly and being able to siphon only the pertinent details of a question stem. I felt better about the test than I did after step 1, but by no means did I feel great. The natural tendency is to focus on all the questions you missed and forget all the ones you got right.

Good luck to all.

Just got my step 2 score today. I lurk SDN a lot so I thought I would contribute back.

Step 1: 260-270
Shelves: Scaled scores of 94-99 (including 99 on IM/Family)
UW 1st pass during 3rd year: 91% (100% complete, did it subject specific during rotations)
Study: 2.5 weeks, 6-8 hours per day (while submitting residency applications for IM). Read USMLE Secrets, MTB, and UW voraciously.
NBME 4 (2.5 wks out, day before started studying): 286
NBME 6 (1.5 wks out): 283
NBME 7 (1 wk out): 267
UWSA (.5 wk out) 265+ (93% correct)
UW 2nd pass: 94% (~98% complete, random timed)

Real CK: 280-290.

Overall my take is to study crazy hard during the 3rd year. CK is just too much material cram unless you want to spend 2 months doing it. And IMO, no review resources except UW is remotely good. Most of my knowledge came from the third year and not from the review period (as evidenced by pre-test NBME score). Also beware of the early NBME exams, way too much classic material and I would hazard a guess that some of the review books and UW questions specifically included material from the older NBME exams.

Just got my step 2 score today. I lurk SDN a lot so I thought I would contribute back.

Step 1: 260-270
Shelves: Scaled scores of 94-99 (including 99 on IM/Family)
UW 1st pass during 3rd year: 91% (100% complete, did it subject specific during rotations)
Study: 2.5 weeks, 6-8 hours per day (while submitting residency applications for IM). Read USMLE Secrets, MTB, and UW voraciously.
NBME 4 (2.5 wks out, day before started studying): 286
NBME 6 (1.5 wks out): 283
NBME 7 (1 wk out): 267
UWSA (.5 wk out) 265+ (93% correct)
UW 2nd pass: 94% (~98% complete, random timed)

Real CK: 280-290.

Overall my take is to study crazy hard during the 3rd year. CK is just too much material cram unless you want to spend 2 months doing it. And IMO, no review resources except UW is remotely good. Most of my knowledge came from the third year and not from the review period (as evidenced by pre-test NBME score). Also beware of the early NBME exams, way too much classic material and I would hazard a guess that some of the review books and UW questions specifically included material from the older NBME exams.

I didn't even know that this score was even possible