UsmleRX Correlation to score & percentage correct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhillyMed777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed on the threads that Rx has higher quality questions recently. I'd agree. I'm trying to get an updated (i.e. 2015-2016) sense of what percentage of questions people are getting correct on these better questions. Also, they include an estimator of your Usmle score under "cumulative analysis"...has that been a decent estimator for folks?

Members don't see this ad.

Though the RX Qbank has had higher quality questions lately, I wouldn't say it's the best thing to use to gauge your board preparation. I've yet to take the beast but from my research, the NBME exams seem to be the best indicator of your score, so I would stick to those as realistic indicators of your score.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt there is any sort of correlation, otherwise I'm not sure what Program Directors would think if my score on the real deal reflected my Rx prediction.

pep58m9.png

I doubt there is any sort of correlation, otherwise I'm not sure what Program Directors would think if my score on the real deal reflected my Rx prediction.

pep58m9.png
lol...if you keep doing questions, a prediction will come up.
I saw on the rx website that they use the formula %correct*2.64+47 for estimation.
My score estimation is not equal to that formula above, which leads me to believe it also corrects in some way to include more recent performance

But anyways, if we forget about prediction, what percentage on these questions are people getting right? It shows an "average" correct of 63 percent, but I'm not sure what percent can be considered excellent

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw on the rx website that they use the formula %correct*2.64+47 for estimation.
My score estimation is not equal to that formula above, which leads me to believe it also corrects in some way to include more recent performance
I've completed 1,200 questions.

They rank your percentage correct relative to all users and also relative to classmates at your school (This only came up recently for me, so maybe it depends on how much data exists for your class), which should help you get an idea of the ballpark you're in.

I do not have a predicted score (insufficient data) which probably has to do with the fact that I've been using the questions organized by organ block (along with classes...). It must rely on your scores over all the disciplines/systems to generate this "Predicted USMLE Performance"

My % correct is extremely high (88 currently), which I think is inflated by the fact that I typically re-attempt the questions I missed at the end of a block, and am able to spit out the correct answer more easily based on having a memory of the question stem. Again, no predicted score after 900+ questions completed. However my % avg's are usually above average.

EDIT: and that weird formula would predict a 279 which I don't think is happening, heh.

Reactions: 1 user
My guess is that the prediction only comes up once you have taken a certain amount of questions in a time frame.

My prediction would go aware if I stopped doing questions for awhile, and then would reappear again later.

I read somewhere that subtracting 20 from that formula gives a better prediction. Anyone know if it is a good ~approximation?

But anyways, if we forget about prediction, what percentage on these questions are people getting right? It shows an "average" correct of 63 percent, but I'm not sure what percent can be considered excellent
"In this prospective cohort study, 26 U.S. medical students who used USMLE-Rx Step 1 Qmax for USMLE preparation completed baseline questionnaires regarding their performance on USMLE-Rx, Kaplan Qbank and the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). All questionnaires were completed within one week of participants taking their Step 1 examination. Participants subsequently reported their 3-digit USMLE Step 1 scores when they became available. Spearman’s rho and single linear regression modeling were used to assess associations between variables."

They rank your percentage correct relative to all users and also relative to classmates at your school (This only came up recently for me, so maybe it depends on how much data exists for your class), which should help you get an idea of the ballpark you're in.

I do not have a predicted score (insufficient data) which probably has to do with the fact that I've been using the questions organized by organ block (along with classes...). It must rely on your scores over all the disciplines/systems to generate this "Predicted USMLE Performance"

My % correct is extremely high (88 currently), which I think is inflated by the fact that I typically re-attempt the questions I missed at the end of a block, and am able to spit out the correct answer more easily based on having a memory of the question stem. Again, no predicted score after 900+ questions completed. However my % avg's are usually above average.

EDIT: and that weird formula would predict a 279 which I don't think is happening, heh.

Sorry to necrobump, I'm also going through Rx right now and was curious what your actualy score was.