USN Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxIsTheBest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to USN for Fall 2011 and I'll be attending Henderson campus.:) :soexcited:

I'm looking for some roommates to share apartment/house. I am from India (gujju) so please PM me or reply to this thread.

Good Luck to everyone waiting for reply.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I will be joining you in the fall. Pretty stoked about it!

congrats to you both! when was your interview? I interviewed on jan. 25 at the henderson campus still waiting for a call...

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be joining you in the fall. Pretty stoked about it!

Congratulations! I'll def see you this fall. Are you also planning to share apartment or house? I interviewed on Feb. 3rd in Utah.

I also interviewed on the 25th of January. I actually have a roommate lined out already, I have a friend who is in her p1 this year.....but Feb 3rd, you found out super fast!

Got a call 2 days after my interview from Dr. Deyoung :) I'll be back in this thread if I decide to go. Good luck peeps!

Hello Guys...:)

I had Interview on 8th Feb. At Henderson Campus.......And I got acceptance call on Valentine's day.....

And I'm planing to attend USN this Fall...
:rolleyes: Still I'm nt sure for that....

And Bst of luck to all who gave Interview....:thumbup:

Last edited:
Interviewed 2/22 and called on 2/25. Look forward to meeting you all!

I'll be at Henderson in August as well. I've started looking for places. Somewhat tricky to navigate, though; I'd've thought rents would be lower than what I'm seeing, given how decimated the land market there is. :-/

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_201656556528287

I didn't see anyone else setup a FB group yet so I decided to do it. Feel free to join. It'll be a great way to get to know each other, network, and/or look for roommates before classes start. During the year, we can use the group to assist each other with questions we may have with class material.

I'll be at Henderson in August as well. I've started looking for places. Somewhat tricky to navigate, though; I'd've thought rents would be lower than what I'm seeing, given how decimated the land market there is. :-/

Ah rent isn't to bad, I'm going to save 340 a month from what I'm paying in Reno. I'll call it a win lol

Ah rent isn't to bad, I'm going to save 340 a month from what I'm paying in Reno. I'll call it a win lol

Oh, I'm not saying it's ridiculous. I was just expecting, given that you can buy a house for less than a year's tuition there (and I thought my old student loans looked like a mortgage payment!), I was more than half expecting to see some really sweet bargains. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places. Ah well. Something will be figured out; it's a while before August, after all.

My interview date is 3/16 in Utah. I am super excited but nervous!! I wonder how many people have gotten accepted so far? Congrats to those who got in! Hopefully I'll be joining you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all..:)
For all of you who are gonna go to USN (Henderson campus), would you mind sharing your opinion about the school?what do you like best about it?
I am debating b.w USN and U of Utah right now..so any sharing will greatly help..:)

Hi everyone, I have also accepted the offer at the Henderson campus so see everyone who got in there! If anyone is interested, I have two rooms for rent in my house and the house is about 9 miles away from campus. PM me for more details. Congrats to everyone who got in! :D

Just a FYI, enrolment packets are out. Got the enrolment packet in email around 6:30pm.

Just a FYI, enrolment packets are out. Got the enrolment packet in email around 6:30pm.

Have fun with all that paperwork. It will keep coming all throughout the summer too!

I just went to the interview at USN tues mar 24 now I'm just waiting for the result.

I just went to the interview at USN tues mar 24 now I'm just waiting for the result.

Hopefully you hear something soon.

Is anyone out there coming to see us at the Utah campus?

Congrats to everyone accepted! Is anyone considering the MBA program? Thoughts?

I plan to take part in the MBA program. It is pretty cheap in comparison to a stand alone MBA at a university so that's a good selling point for me. I'm a bit nervous about it though simply due to the fact that I don't want to get burnt out with the whole summer MBA/regular Pharm.D programs alternating with little to no break for 3 YEARS. How about you?

I am also considering it but my only concern is the accreditation of the MBA program. It is accredited by the IACBE instead of the gold standard accreditation by the AACSB, which the majority of universities with MBA programs are accredited with. Any input?

I am also considering it but my only concern is the accreditation of the MBA program. It is accredited by the IACBE instead of the gold standard accreditation by the AACSB, which the majority of universities with MBA programs are accredited with. Any input?

USN is solely an IACBE accredited school. I know this is kind of a turn-off to the business oriented, but I think an IACBE accreditation is still legitimate. Whether it's worth mentioning the IACBE part on the resume is the real question haha. I also read that this past January, CHEA has officially recognized IACBE accreditation, just like how they did the AACSB. On the other hand, the IACBE will never be as prestigious as the AACSB BUT they both now have the same stamp of approval.. Just food for thought.

USN is solely an IACBE accredited school. I know this is kind of a turn-off to the business oriented, but I think an IACBE accreditation is still legitimate. Whether it's worth mentioning the IACBE part on the resume is the real question haha. I also read that this past January, CHEA has officially recognized IACBE accreditation, just like how they did the AACSB. On the other hand, the IACBE will never be as prestigious as the AACSB BUT they both now have the same stamp of approval.. Just food for thought.

Thanks FarmDeeHI! I am definitely considering it, I just want to be informed. Did they give us a deadline to apply for the MBA program?

Thanks FarmDeeHI! I am definitely considering it, I just want to be informed. Did they give us a deadline to apply for the MBA program?

Not that I know of.. I signed up during the orientation to get info about it and they sent me an application form and an article stating the successes of having both titles. I've checked em out but I do not see any deadline dates :/ I've sent an email asking them today so we'll see what they say tomorrow maybe?

I want to do the MBA program too and have the same concern as CC. Looking at the face value of accreditations from employers perspective, AACSB > IACBE > university of phoenix (where shaq got his MBA). On the fence but leaning on pulling the trigger at this point (call me frugal but adding 20k in student loan is no easy decision for moi).

Last edited:
LOL, you will be fine PharmDeeHI. Didn't you get 90 something on PCAT?

LOL, you will be fine PharmDeeHI. Didn't you get 90 something on PCAT?

True dat homie. Actually, I'm pretty surprised because I went in with 2 days of solid cram pretty much. I just think I'm a pretty good guesser haha.

Sooooo.. I have decided to jump in and get my MBA at USN. Has anyone else here decided to do the program as well?

Sooooo.. I have decided to jump in and get my MBA at USN. Has anyone else here decided to do the program as well?

Still trying to decide....its a tough one in terms of time and money involved. I just want to be sure that it will pay-off in the end, the only thing that is making me reluctant is the accreditation.

Still trying to decide....its a tough one in terms of time and money involved. I just want to be sure that it will pay-off in the end, the only thing that is making me reluctant is the accreditation.

Same here Pharm56. That is a big issue for me too. My ultimate goal is to pursue a residency but will a MBA really help in that regard? I'm thinking I could use that time for extracurricular activities that will help me stand out in the matching process instead. Ultimately I can always pursue a MBA later at a more renown program. The good thing about doing it at USN is you knock it out at the same time as the PharmD but again will it be beneficial?

Same here Pharm56. That is a big issue for me too. My ultimate goal is to pursue a residency but will a MBA really help in that regard? I'm thinking I could use that time for extracurricular activities that will help me stand out in the matching process instead. Ultimately I can always pursue a MBA later at a more renown program. The good thing about doing it at USN is you knock it out at the same time as the PharmD but again will it be beneficial?

That's my goal as well and I'm just not sure how much an MBA will help me stand out for that, I also feel like doing more extracurriculars geared directly at residency and clinical work would probably be more beneficial. Regardless of this, I know that for myself personally I would still be more likely to do the MBA if it had more prestige associated with it. As far as knocking both out at the same time, it definitely convenient, but at the same time, what does it really say about the program? Especially since at most schools, the MBA requires an entire additional year.

That's my goal as well and I'm just not sure how much an MBA will help me stand out for that, I also feel like doing more extracurriculars geared directly at residency and clinical work would probably be more beneficial. Regardless of this, I know that for myself personally I would still be more likely to do the MBA if it had more prestige associated with it. As far as knocking both out at the same time, it definitely convenient, but at the same time, what does it really say about the program? Especially since at most schools, the MBA requires an entire additional year.

You have to also consider the fact that some PGY1/PGY2 residency programs are combined with MBA courses as well so you can obtain your MBA while in residency too. Working specifically towards obtaining your residency in your P1 to P3 years seems like a pretty good way to secure your chances on getting into a residency program though I think. Seemingly, recommendation letters and clinical work is the way to pursue a residency anyway doesn't really fall on the amount of degrees you have haha. Keep in mind that the IACBE accreditation values pertain more towards business oriented learning and AACSB values pertain more towards CLINICAL work/learning so having an AACSB MBA for this type of situation would seem to be somewhat more beneficial.

I, personally, am not particularly gunning for a residency position so I think that the MBA would help me with a sweet management position somewhere if I am offered one right off the bat. I am just looking to secure a job once I get out because it's a saturated market as is and I'm not too keen to tacking on 2 more years of work to come out with possibly no jobs lined up after all is said and done. If I do plan to pursue residency, I'll have some extras "letters" at the end of my name to fall back on and at least garner a head-nod when the residency admins are reviewing my CV lol. Also, keep in mind that lots of other people are going to be pursuing residency as well and you would have to compete with them too. You have to think that when you apply, who's CV would look better to the admins? The applicant with just a PharmD or the one with the PharmD/MBA tacked on instead? If you plan on securing a residency right out of school, that MBA might be the determining acceptance factor between you and the other person applying.

Sorry for such a long post... just had to get my morning 2-cents in :cool:

I am going for the MBA. My goal is to own couple of pharmacies. Guess we will be spending some good quality time hitting the books together Farm ;-). I am dropping off all my papers and $1050 later today at the school.

I am going for the MBA. My goal is to own couple of pharmacies. Guess we will be spending some good quality time hitting the books together Farm ;-). I am dropping off all my papers and $1050 later today at the school.

NICE! When we gonna hit the bar and celebrate our acceptance?!

NICE! When we gonna hit the bar and celebrate our acceptance?!

Anytime. I am just waiting for school to start (no luck finding a temp job so far). Do we have more Vegas people want to come out and kick it?

Anytime. I am just waiting for school to start (no luck finding a temp job so far). Do we have more Vegas people want to come out and kick it?

Just you and me so far.. I haven't encountered any other Vegas peeps who got in. You hear from anyone else?

I have ultimately decided against joining the MBA program :( It was a tough decision because I really want to learn more about the business trade and be a little more savvy in a business respect. BUT I realized that I have to pass the PharmD program with A 90 PERCENT! I would like a little bit of a life and not burn myself out so quickly with all the summer/winter MBA stuff.

I talked to a few USN interns this past week about the program and the majority of them say that if you're really gung-ho about pursuing the MBA and really motivated to get it, then it's for you. But, they re-iterated the fact that you would have to put loads of time into both programs and it's not recommended if you have some sort of a life you have to attend to everyday (kids, extracurriculars, etc.). The defining point of it all was the fact that I didn't want to tire myself out with 3 straight years of info being pounded into my head! But, if I had the time and no attachments, I would definitely pursue it.

I guess I just have to go back to school later and get it :/

Good luck Ducdoo! You, my friend, are a trooper.

Nice. Did you talk to some current pharmD MBA students too? I just plunged in and didn't do as much HW as you.

So when will be the best time to hang with my compadre this weekend? I am up for anything. Family place like atomic 7 is cool too (love their ice creams).

Nice. Did you talk to some current pharmD MBA students too? I just plunged in and didn't do as much HW as you.

So when will be the best time to hang with my compadre this weekend? I am up for anything. Family place like atomic 7 is cool too (love their ice creams).

Yeah I hit up both sides of the fence: the MBA students and the PharmD students (solely for opinion purposes). They all pretty much had the same story (do it if you really want it...) but they all said it was super time consuming and the ones who decided against it didn't want to do it because they wanted family time and/or had extracurriculars they wanted to attend to. There was only one person that I talked to from the MBA school that was all about it and really pushed for me to join. I asked her about her outside life and she said she really didn't have one; no pets, family, hobbies, etc. That pretty much sealed the deal for me hahaha. It's not that I'm lazy.. I just don't want the MBA program to start dragging me down on the PharmD side ya know?

Anywayyy yeah I'm game for a meetup this weekend. I'm out of work at 6 pm on Saturday so anytime after that is perfect. I've always wanted to cruise out to Atomic 7 because all my Vegan/Vegetarian friends rave about the Vegan ice cream lol. Is there food there or just ice cream? I'll PM you my digits.

I only have gf (wife to be soon) and a husky to worry about. With the debt load probably no hobbies until I get the loans paid off. I will be to lazy to get the MBA later. LOL.

Hopefully you hear something soon.

Is anyone out there coming to see us at the Utah campus?

Pong Champ, I accepted a seat to Utah and wait listed for Henderson. I am looking to buy a condo in either place. Which areas in Utah would you recommend?

Pong Champ, I accepted a seat to Utah and wait listed for Henderson. I am looking to buy a condo in either place. Which areas in Utah would you recommend?

hi All,

I have'nt logged on here since the last Aug when i got acceptance from USN.

I m 1st yr pharm Student in USN now...I wish i could have any thought of MBA, residency...like yours.
I have family with kid. I m trying a lot with this accelerating program...just hope to pass all test of 90% and then get out of here for looking a job right away in the saturated job market rightnow..too many grads each year coming out on the market nationwide.

anyway, some thoughts to share and some relaxation before heavy load next week at school.

Good luck for who has good motivation on R . & MBA.

:love:

Hey Everyone,

Looking for a place to rent ? I have a P3 friend who will be graduating next June and will have her townhouse available for rent. It’s an 1,100sq.ft. 2 car-garage 1 master bedroom home located 12 miles from school in the Inspirada Community near Seven Hills Henderson, NV. If you are interested e-mail [email protected]

Obviously, the closer to campus the better. That means more time studying and less time traveling. I don't know of any places by name but a lot of students live in South Jordan or close by in Sandy, Draper or Riverton. I am not sure how much you want to spend on a place or how much space you are needing but check out the KSL Classifieds home section (use zip code 84095 and search surrounding areas).

I live 45 minutes south of campus and the drive gets old sometimes but I commute with a carpool so it's not that bad.

Hey does any of you current students (prob just you Pong lol) have any info or comments on the student organizations (frats, associations, etc.) at USN? I'm looking at some of the groups there and thinking about joining up. Any insight?

Hey does any of you current students (prob just you Pong lol) have any info or comments on the student organizations (frats, associations, etc.) at USN? I'm looking at some of the groups there and thinking about joining up. Any insight?

I think the student organizations are a good thing to be a part of, as long as you have time for them of course. Many students, at least at the South Jordan campus, are involved with at least one student organization (I'm with two). I think the student organizations differ between each campus and it depends on if your class wants to have an active chapter. I like participating in them because they allow for me to participate in pharmacy related projects but they don't have the stress of your everyday school life. It's totally voluntary so your experience is what you make of it.

One of the organizations I am in is DAAT (Drug Abuse Awareness Team) where we go around to different schools (usually Jr. High) a few times a year and give a presentation about preventing Rx drug abuse. We also participate in drug take back events throughout the year.

The other one I am in is Student Alliance which is for students who are interested in doing a residency. We have speakers come and give presentations on various things associated with residency.

Hopefully that answered some of your questions. Please ask follow-up if you want more info.