This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hannahk0709

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently an undergrad pre-PA student who is seriously considering the USPHS as a future career. I am fascinated by the dedication of the service to public health both domestically and abroad. I have looked at some of the "Best Kept Secrets" on the website, and have seen that PAs are categorized as Health Service Officers. Salary is not a big issue for me, but ideally I would like one in the range of 80-90k. I also do not mind having to relocate, and would definitely like to respond to overseas emergencies. I've noticed that O-1 salaries in this category are $52, 380 before various tax and medical deductions. I realize that there are many benefits that come with this career, but it does seem low compared to other professions such as pharmacy within the Service. Does anyone have any experience with the Service, and can speak on salary range? I am considering doing a dual PA-MPH as I am very interested in infectious disease epidemiology. Would this hypothetically help bolster my pay? I know that during the USPHS application process, you also have to apply to another organization, such as CDC (my dream), NIH, IHS, BOP, etc. Does the USPHS salary cover this job as well, or is it a separate salary? Also, what are some other options for people like me who are interested in practicing domestically as well as occassionally internationally? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.