USPHS vs IHS/BOP civil service

Started by Tedic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tedic

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering what the differences between working for USPHS as a commissioned medical officer vs IHS/BOP civil service medical officer (aka civilian employed)? I see previous posts where people working for IHS/BOP as a civilian and try to become commissioned officers. What's offered with USPHS that's not offered as a federal worker? Higher pay? It seems that both are very similar in terms of benefits (eg. health insurance, pension after 20 years), except USPHS you are an uniformed officer so there's the military-like culture involved (eg. may have to move, can get deployed, ranks, etc.).

I guess another way to look at this is what's the key differences (pros/cons) between working as a civilian medical officer at a military base vs being an actual military medical officer at a military base.

Any input? Thanks so much!
 
Last edited: