ust-fms students...help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdnys

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
university of santo tomas med students out there...
hi there, im an incoming freshman at ust-fms(batch '08)and i was wondering if you can offer me some tips or advice...:confused: about what to expect, what to bring for classes (lots of papers?; a voice recorder for lectures.lol.;ipod), which teachers to watch out for(terrors, sadists,lol.,helpful and easy-to-ask profs), and everything u can say that u think could help me a lot in adjusting, preparing, and the likes... ur answers would be deeply appreciated...:)

Members don't see this ad.

hi there, im an incoming freshman at ust-fms(batch '08)and i was wondering if you can offer me some tips or advice...:confused: about what to expect, what to bring for classes (lots of papers?; a voice recorder for lectures.lol.;ipod), which teachers to watch out for(terrors, sadists,lol.,helpful and easy-to-ask profs), and everything u can say that u think could help me a lot in adjusting, preparing, and the likes... ur answers would be deeply appreciated...:)

hello! you can join http://ustexchangecom.yehey.com/forums. look for the tab "faculty of medicine & surgery" under web campus.

there are many other med students there (perhaps, your potential classmates & those from upper levels) who can better answer your queries. don't be self-conscious if u introduce yourself as a fil-am. many will be glad to help you out.

ps.. when you say "batch" - you're referring to the year you are supposed to graduate, not when you are about to enter a particular year level. in your case, you belong to batch 2012. those who belong to batch 2008 are those who are graduating. just some clarification.

you can expect that OVER HALF of your "filam" friends WON'T survive USTFMS past the 1st year:eek:...

Members don't see this ad :)
you can expect that OVER HALF of your "filam" friends WON'T survive USTFMS past the 1st year:eek:...

Uhm thats not entirely true.Im a 3rd year filam in ust. We all made it 1st year except for two who failed classes out of like approximately 15 of us but in terms of being debarred, there were none. If you fail a class you are retained as a 1st year as long as you dont fail 2 major classes in 1st year .I could say though that the people who left med usually left within the
1st month,finding out they cannot handle med,adjustments,etc....not because they failed out.Good luck incoming 1st years.Study hard!

PS I heard that the year after us,there was a 50% survival rate(just among the filams), but that group chose not to continue and just left....thinking they could not handle med and just quit.If they stayed im sure they would have done ok...Good luck

hey guys, tnx so very much for ur replies... jus want to let u know that im filipina, fil-chi...to be exact,hehe, absolutely have no idea how u have mistaken me as a fil am, flattered:oops:, tnx, i wud definitely visit d forums, tnx again! Tc

hey tnx, i visited the forums, ive seen ur posts there, really helpful, but unfortunately i havent received any email verification yet kya i cant join in, i can only read...=(

^ you can try again. the email notice may have been delayed.

Good luck guys! :)

Uhm thats not entirely true.Im a 3rd year filam in ust. We all made it 1st year except for two who failed classes out of like approximately 15 of us but in terms of being debarred, there were none. If you fail a class you are retained as a 1st year as long as you dont fail 2 major classes in 1st year .I could say though that the people who left med usually left within the
1st month,finding out they cannot handle med,adjustments,etc....not because they failed out.Good luck incoming 1st years.Study hard!

PS I heard that the year after us,there was a 50% survival rate(just among the filams), but that group chose not to continue and just left....thinking they could not handle med and just quit.If they stayed im sure they would have done ok...Good luck
People should be warned how difficult it is to study Medicine. You don't need to be a genius but if you are at least diligent and persistent, you can make it.

People should be warned how difficult it is to study Medicine. You don't need to be a genius but if you are at least diligent and persistent, you can make it.

I agree 110%. Its alot of sacrifice...but if you set your mind to it... its possible. Good Luck my fellow thomasians! USTE! hehe.

hey guys, tnx so very much for ur replies... jus want to let u know that im filipina, fil-chi...to be exact,hehe, absolutely have no idea how u have mistaken me as a fil am, flattered:oops:, tnx, i wud definitely visit d forums, tnx again! Tc

who said ANYTHING about you being filam? why should you be flattered? Actually b/c of your OC tendencies exhibited in your message, i thought filchi to be pretty appropriate! :rolleyes:

^ it was me who thought she was a fil-am.

my apologies.

no prob... tnx bleudsky,take care.=)

who said ANYTHING about you being filam? why should you be flattered? Actually b/c of your OC tendencies exhibited in your message, i thought filchi to be pretty appropriate! :rolleyes:

wow...:eek:,u have probably met all fil chis to make such a statement...:rolleyes:, ...whoa.... amazing...-- sori i cant help myself, u sounded quite rude,anyway tnx for ur reply hope u dont do this to other people who need sensible answers... Godbless.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...:eek:,u have probably met all fil chis to make such a statement...:rolleyes:, ...whoa.... amazing...-- sori i cant help myself, u sounded quite rude,anyway tnx for ur reply hope u dont do this to other people who need sensible answers... Godbless.;)

i think it helps to have a sense of humor? :confused: this is JUST an electronic bulletin board...:thumbup:

TIPSTIPSTIPS:

Books:

Physiology - no need to buy bcoz handouts given by dept are sufficient.. but it wudnt hurt to buy one.. sumtyms the handouts are incomplete.. especially lectures by Dr. Cuison!! haha... the dept recomends Berne and Levy but its so incomplete!! so i suggest buy Guyton.. physio buks are gud investments! trust me.. haha..

Biochemistry - NO NEED TO BUY period!! handouts given by the dept are so complete!! totally spoon-fed!! haha plus borrow sample exams or SAMPLEX!!!

Histology - BUY ATLAS OF HISTOLOGY made by the dept!!! IT IS ESSENTIAL!!! plus limited copies available so hurry and buy at UST publishing house!! and borrow handouts from higher years especially SAMPLEX (sample exams!!) it is totally undeniably needed!! hahaha!!! no need to buy Cabral but if u wanted to be DL or wat den buy it.. but really ders no need to buy Cabral..

Neuroanatomy - theres a rumor that this subject will be abolished!! but if not... Borrow lecture handouts from higher years bcoz only a few Doctors give supplementary handouts.. no need to buy a book but Haines is a gud investment!!.. the key hir in Neuroana is listen and jot down notes.. thats all u need.. promise..

Gross Anatomy - in our batch they gave the modules at the end of 1st shift so i suggest that u go immediately to Dra. Natividad Santos author of the module so that u can have the supply of module ahead of time b4 u hav ur quizzes etc.. BUY NETTER!!! VERY VERY IMPORTANT.. no need to buy macmin or other ana buks.. the key in studying gross ana are the modules of dra. santos and netter!! thats it!!

Clinical Anatomy - they will give modules.. no problem with this.. no need to buy SNELL!!

Embryology Anatomy - U nid Langman book.. but u can suffice with jotting down notes if u dont want to buy the book..

Clinical Epidemiology - this is the worst subject in medicine!!! no nid to buy anything Joke!!! the dept will giv modules no prob with this..

Preventive Medicine - the dept will give modules.. no problem.. But one doctor (maepal to promise) will force you to buy a her book just for one freaking exercise.. (mas tigasin ako d ako bumili haha!) she will take it against ur grade if u dont buy (tulad ko.. haha) so buy her book.. haha!

Medical Ethics - now that Dra. Alora retired.. no nid to buy a booK!! the doctors or Fr. Aligan will give their powerpoints..

Psychiatry - theres a rumor that this subject will be abolished but if not buy Kaplan!! very important!! and a gud investment for the years of studying to come..

and freshies.. dont be shocked with the loads of studying u will encounter for the 1st sem.. there is no tym to adjust or watev.. just do ur best as early as possible.. para hindi kayo naghahabol.. mas maganda kung mataas na grades nyo sa 1st sem... and borrow samplex especially for biochem and histo.. also with ana and neuroana but dont depend on it too much!! STUDY WELL!! Ok?! GUDLUCK!! and welcome to the UST MED!! the best medical school in the Philippines!! naks xmpre bias ako eh.. hahaha..:sleep:

hey super tnx, wat wud we do without someone like u... naks! so caring... so thoughtful.. so giving...so...yeah.so...so...basta.. hehe tnx ng sobra!!! nga pla, i wonder how i wud be able to borrow those samplex without me knowing anyone from the higher years...hmmm...=(

Addition to the posted books, there are a few books that are not really known that really helped me a lot 1st year (Now going into 2nd year, so this is current):

Embryology - High-Yield™ Embryology: A Collaborative Project of Medical Students and Faculty (High-Yield™ Series) (Paperback)
by Ronald W Dudek (Author)
- I used this instead of Langman's. Langman's was too long of a read for me considering I hate that topic, and unless you really love Embryo you'll dread having to read the chapters before the exam. The chapters are really short and concise and they go over almost everything that you need to know for the exams. I usually took this book to class and added notes in the margins from the lectures.

Biochemistry - Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Series) (Paperback)
by Pamela C Champe (Author), Richard A Harvey (Author), Denise R Ferrier (Author)
-This was indispensable during the 2nd shift (2nd shift is a real pain btw) because the topics in here are covered almost word for word in the handouts but this comes with great pictures and better explanations of the material.

Physiology - Pocket Companion to Guyton & Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology (Paperback)
by John Hall (Author)
-The pocket Guyton really helped out especially during your small group discussions, but almost everything will come from the handouts.

Btw, my name is Mikey Silverman, you'll probably find copies of my notes around, but there is a DVD i put together with all the notes, powerpoints, software that I collected that you'll find useful. Find me or someone with a copy. Hope this helps and good luck!

i wonder how i wud be able to borrow those samplex without me knowing anyone from the higher years...hmmm...=(

Don't worry, get close to your subsection. During the year, you will be collecting samplex as you go along and before the exams there will be hoards of people crowded by the copy machines to grab as many samplexes as they can, haha, that is normal.

Dra Alora already retired? even if she is well known for giving average grades during SGT (small group tutorials, when PBL was still in effect) & 1 of the most feared tribunal chair/member during the oral revalida, she's very good as an academician and as a consultant in Infectious Disease & Bioethics.

sorry loss for the succeeding batches.

were u guys able to find any one of these books helpful aside from netter: (got these from different forums), which is the best?

-gray's anatomy for students
-nell's clinical anatomy
-McMinns (Gross Anatomy from the real human body)

were u guys able to find any one of these books helpful aside from netter: (got these from different forums), which is the best?

-nell's clinical anatomy

Netter only. Dra. Natividad Santos modules also. Then of course samplex...remember...anatomy has not changed since the time of Leonardo :idea: nor have the questions...

-nell's clinical anatomy

Netter and Handouts are more than enough. I had Gray's but stopped reading it.. too long. you wont really have time to read it except the weekends if you wish. Netter and handouts will suffice.
McMinns is good when you are doing the dissection so you could have a reference when you have the cadaver in front of you.

McMinns is good when you are doing the dissection so you could have a reference when you have the cadaver in front of you.
o yeah... the cadaver... in front of me... almost forgot that i also have to deal with that... :scared:haha...goodluck... tnx guys!:thumbup:

you dont have to be worried about that, in due time you'll enjoy it. hehe

by the way, how do subsections work?

^ your class will be further subdivided into 10 students per group (termed "subsection"), based on your surnames. :)

hello:) anong start ng surname mo? bka makasubsect tayo:p

"L" start ng surname ko, nakaenroll na ako, im in section "C", kaw?=D

^ your class will be further subdivided into 10 students per group (termed "subsection"), based on your surnames. :)

ic, but during classes, we'll be attending as a whole section ryt? the subsects then will be for group discussions or thesis?

^ yep! that's right. :)

you'll be attending lectures as a class. for lab, small group discussions, research works, you'll be working per group.