USUHS acceptance question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vintage eyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anybody is familiar with how USUHS works, I could use some advice.

I just got the conditional acceptance for this fall. My situation is that I am in a post-bacc program (drexel's, i guess it works), and have time to withdraw from the spring semester. USUHS apparently doesn't care, and it would save me like 15 grand, but i'm worried because I don't have the official unconditional acceptance yet (have to wait for physical and security background checks). I'm in decent shape with no significant health history probs, and I've always been the good kid, so I can't forsee being rejected for health/security grounds. Still, it's unnerving to decide to leave, just in case something happens.

Does anybody here know how it usually works out? Know if anybody is ever actually rejected post conditional acceptance? Do i actually need to worry about this?

Also, if anybody else has gotten into USUHS and is planning on going, drop me a line, classmate.

Thanks folks

Members don't see this ad.

When did you interview and what branch? I just interviewed there yesterday myself...

vintage eyes said:

I just got the conditional acceptance for this fall. My situation is that I am in a post-bacc program (drexel's, i guess it works), and have time to withdraw from the spring semester. USUHS apparently doesn't care, and it would save me like 15 grand, but i'm worried because I don't have the official unconditional acceptance yet (have to wait for physical and security background checks). I'm in decent shape with no significant health history probs, and I've always been the good kid, so I can't forsee being rejected for health/security grounds. Still, it's unnerving to decide to leave, just in case something happens.

Does anybody here know how it usually works out? Know if anybody is ever actually rejected post conditional acceptance? Do i actually need to worry about this?

Also, if anybody else has gotten into USUHS and is planning on going, drop me a line, classmate.

Thanks folks

Hey Nylesor, I interviewed back on Nov 3rd and picked Army. Good luck! I hope you hear good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your acceptances (and on picking Army!)!

Although the vast majority of conditional acceptances go through without problems, there are defintely a handfull every year that do not. Almost all denials are for medical reasons-knee surgeries, asthma and I know someone who was denied because she fessed up to smoking some pot many years ago (during her physical). You really would know your application best. Also remember that waivers can be obtained for a thousand of medical reasons so if you are initially denied, keep trying. Persistence is key.

The real answer to your question is that there are no guarantees. It would be risky but you will probably get in eventually.

Good luck and have an awesome time at USUHS-it was tough just like any med school but the people are outstanding!

vintage eyes said:

Thanks folks
Usually, here's what happens. Everyone is conditionally accepted in the beginning. Your physical qualification happens once DoDMERB says you're complete and good to go. I'd suggest you wait until you get the letter from DoDMERB saying that you're fine and you don't have any remedials. If you have remedials or some kind of condition that will require a waiver, my experienece has been that these things take some time to clarify and get completed, but they usually come through ok. There are times when what should be a quick turnaround isn't and likewise, there are also times where a physical that seems fine ends up requiring some remedials.

Once DoDMERB is done with you, the admissions office will ask for your transcripts and they'll send you a green card letting you know that you're complete there. After that, you will usually get the unconditional acceptance and all will be complete. I don't know how they're doing the unconditional letters this time because I've heard of the letters being sent out as they are applicable, and I've also heard of them waiting to send them in batches, so you'll probably need to first wait for the DoDMERB ok and then the admissions office ok before expecting the unconditional letter. If there is anything that needs to be taken care of, Norman Mitchell is usually the guy that you'd talk to, but just remember that everyone else and their mother is trying to get through to him right about now, so give him a few days before you decide to inundate his inbox with 'reminders'.

:luck:

Hey everybody,
Congrats if you were just accepted to USUHS! I have received my conditional (air force), but I'm waiting on a remedial for my physical. Anybody know how long this could take? I'm in the Air National Guard now, so I'm sure my physical went through fine, but waiting can be aggrevating.
Thanks,
TM

Does anyone know what the chances of getting a waiver for myopia are? They always fail me at every physical I have for it and I have to do paperwork for a waiver, but is USUHS the same way or are they stricter?

Nylesor said:
Does anyone know what the chances of getting a waiver for myopia are? They always fail me at every physical I have for it and I have to do paperwork for a waiver, but is USUHS the same way or are they stricter?

If your vision is not 20/20 you will not pass, no questions asked, you may not attend.

JUST KIDDING.

As long as you're correctable to 20/20 there shouldn't be a problem, several of my classmates (and myslef included) wear spectacles.

Hey all :)
DoDMERB can be super fun for thoe of you who haven't dealt with them yet... I am active duty and still had to send them a ton of info to get qualified and I know another active duty person who ended up needing a waiver, but I've been told that as long as it's not something major you can probably get a waiver and you get those through USUHS and not DoDMERB so it's supposedly easier.

Good luck!

st0rmin said:
If your vision is not 20/20 you will not pass, no questions asked, you may not attend.

JUST KIDDING.

As long as you're correctable to 20/20 there shouldn't be a problem, several of my classmates (and myslef included) wear spectacles.

I just got my conditional acceptance today (Army) but I also got a disqualification because my eye sight is worse than -8.00 diopters. I submitted for a waiver, any idea on the likelihood of me getting through? Thanks and congrats to all who got accepted (Hopefully, i'll see ya'll in the fall).