USUHS Contract-question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helperMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to sign the USUHS contract documents, but there is a slight chance (unlikely but possible) that I could be pulled from a waitlist and decide to go to another medical school later this summer.

Should I just go ahead and sign? Would I owe something to the government if on the off chance I need to rescind the USUHS contract before starting summer training or USUHS in August?

Has anyone needed to withdraw from USUHS after signing the contract, and what are the consequences?

Please write back. Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I, too, found USUHS to be vague on what happens if you sign but then don't go. I mean, its one thing to forfeit your deposit to another school, but its another thing to try and run away from a contract with the U.S. miitary (especially that "minimum 1 year" thing... :scared: )

I would contact the school that you are on the waitlist for, and let them know your situation, and ask them where you sit. Hold off signing your application for commision until after you know what's going on with their waitlist (at least until after 15MAY). Worst case scenario, you miss summer training, and just do the 1 week MOST right before classes start, making up summer training the next year.

Then again, if USUHS is not your first choice school, then maybe USUHS isn't the place for you.... you're not deciding between two different med schools, you are deciding between two different paths through life.....

Deegs, I totally agree that it's a way of life and too many people I know apply to USUHS b/c they see it as a free ride. Freedom isn't free, and the whole point of USUHS and any of its component schools is to prepare people to treat those defending our country and its interests and their dependents. Yes, that will take places you may not want to go and yes, it's a big commitment - at least 11 years after med school and 1) you are NOT guaranteed a residency of your choice in the mil system, 2) you CAN be pulled into active service right after med school graduation as a general doctor thus delaying your actual residency training. If you are unsure, don't do a disservice to yourself or your fellow soldiers (and yes, you are soldiers in the sense that you learn basic weapons use, defense, and warfare as part on your ongoing military training) by joining just for the money. You will regret it and that regret will affect everything you do - and could possibly endanger anyone you live and work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for a fact that you don't owe them anything if you change schools before you are commissioned. Even then, I am pretty sure that you are capable of leaving free of obligation as long as you do so before classes start.

DeepSeaCorpsman said:
I know for a fact that you don't owe them anything if you change schools before you are commissioned. Even then, I am pretty sure that you are capable of leaving free of obligation as long as you do so before classes start.

I'm in the same situation..except its now june 8 and i havent heard from my WL school.. whats the deal w. this contract?

I have a question about the contract too actually. What about the part that says you can be recomissioned by the surgeon general of your branch into another branch if you are deemed in excess of the needs of your branch... does this happen a lot???

focus05 and helpermd,
have you talked to the deans at your WL schools? the dean at a school I was waitlisted at said that the military sends a letter at some "drop dead" date that tells other schools that they should no longer accept you. Also the dean should be able to tell you if and when you would get in based on historical data.

UCBShocker said:
I have a question about the contract too actually. What about the part that says you can be recomissioned by the surgeon general of your branch into another branch if you are deemed in excess of the needs of your branch... does this happen a lot???

I have never heard of this happening. The only way I have heard of people changing branches (well at least while at USUHS or shortly thereafter) is after marrying someone in a different branch.

In the soon to be MS3 class at USUHS there are several couples who are in the process of switching branches. Most are going into the Navy that I know of.

So, if you got stuck with an Army appointment, find someone in the Navy or Air Force to marry ;)

backrow said:
I have never heard of this happening. The only way I have heard of people changing branches (well at least while at USUHS or shortly thereafter) is after marrying someone in a different branch.

In the soon to be MS3 class at USUHS there are several couples who are in the process of switching branches. Most are going into the Navy that I know of.

So, if you got stuck with an Army appointment, find someone in the Navy or Air Force to marry ;)

Hehe, thanks for the info.