USUHS Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

America1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have an interview at USUHS in October. I want to great in it and hopefully get accepted. My grades are a little low but solid MCAT and great ECs. Any tips would be more than welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I have an interview at USUHS in October. I want to great in it and hopefully get accepted. My grades are a little low but solid MCAT and great ECs. Any tips would be more than welcome.

The interview feedback for USUHS will be your biggest help. From talking with military doctors, everything I read in the interview feedback section of SDN was on target.

I'd recommend knowing as much as you can about USUHS and military medicine. Be specific..."I'm really interested in the extra hours spent studying military medicine compared to civy med schools...etc"...or "I'm really interested in Bushmaster and the challenges it brings..."

The USUHS web site has plenty of info on...I would utilize it as much as possible.

Good luck,

Rotatores
USUHS 2006
PGY-2 Pediatrics

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend knowing as much as you can about USUHS and military medicine. Be specific..."I'm really interested in the extra hours spent studying military medicine compared to civy med schools...etc"...or "I'm really interested in Bushmaster and the challenges it brings..."

OK, I nearly spewed coffee all over my keyboard at this one. "I'm really interested in Bushmaster"...what?!? You're recommending that he tell a staff physician that he wants to go to USU for a week of summer camp as an MS4. Thats so obviously absurd that it would not be a good interview from there if he had to talk to me.

So...what are the things that makes USU different:

1. pay
2. good parasitology course/trop med if you can get it
3. DC's pretty cool
4. history course was cool
5. chance to see all the MTFs before deciding where to train as a resident and, in so doing, have every opportunity to impress the right people
6. pay
7. pay
8. longer committment, although this is less true than people appreciate and, in some ways, keeps the added committment of longer GME training from influencing one's decision to choose a particular specialty.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Gastrapathy
2. good parasitology course/trop med if you can get it

Wow...you really had me laughing on this one. 1) You're right...there is a "good" parasitology course at USUHS...but Trop med is for physicians (not med students) last time I checked 2) "history course was cool":laugh:...I'm guessing you were the one person who went to this class:laugh:

My point was...don't be you typical applicant and say, "I really wanna serve the county"...blah blah blah. The more you know about USUHS and about what kind of life to expect while in the military the better!

The rest of your points are decent things to mention.

Rotatores
USUHS 2006
PGY-2 Pediatrics

27-MCAT
GPA 3.7
Science GPA 3.6
Prior Service
What do you think my chances at USUHS are?

27-MCAT
GPA 3.7
Science GPA 3.6
Prior Service
What do you think my chances at USUHS are?

The MCAT score doesn't help you so much, but it may depend on your other ECs (job in the military, personal background (under represented in medicine status), research, branch you are shooting for, etc)

My knowledge is just based off of mdapplicants, talking to USUHS grads, and other students though, so take it for what it is worth.

Wow...you really had me laughing on this one. 1) You're right...there is a "good" parasitology course at USUHS...but Trop med is for physicians (not med students) last time I checked 2) "history course was cool":laugh:...I'm guessing you were the one person who went to this class:laugh:

My point was...don't be you typical applicant and say, "I really wanna serve the county"...blah blah blah. The more you know about USUHS and about what kind of life to expect while in the military the better!

The rest of your points are decent things to mention.

Rotatores
USUHS 2006
PGY-2 Pediatrics

USU Med studs have attended trop med in the past.