USUHS Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freubr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an interview invite for Sept. Besides knowing why I am considering a career as a military doc, what other things should I be aware of for my interview at USUHS? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

that was pretty much the gist of what they asked.. why do you want to be a MILITARY doctor? other info they will give you includes the length of your requirement, some of the really cool opportunities for training you can have (like airborne school/parachuting), and some of the war games you get to play.

i would just really make sure you want to do USUHS and go into the military.

i know of someone that went through with officer training in the AF and went to USUHS simply because it's the only school she got into.

she could barely put up with the military for one month. i wonder how she's going to make it through med school and her 7 year payback.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to pass your physical fitness test on the day of your interview?

Do you have to pass your physical fitness test on the day of your interview?

i didn't interview at USUHS, but from what I understand, it's not really a military institution per se. your branch will control everything you do, not the school.

so, your PFTs would be according to the standards of your branch with some being more lax.

BTW, there's a big USUHS applicants thread on the military medicine forum. you'll probably get a lot more useful information out of those folks since it is a really different beast.

thanks for all the information...I'm pretty sure it is what I want to do, but I would like to wait and speak with more people...until I receive acceptance, I will keep weighing my options...just wanted to check to see if there was anything in particular I should be prepared for, besides the military aspect....thanks again

Last edited:
thanks for all the information...I'm pretty sure it is what I want to do, but I would like to wait and speak with more people...until I receive acceptance, I will keep weighing my options...just wanted to check to see if there was anything in particular I should be prepared for, besides the military aspect....thanks again

I interviewed there last year and was accepted. My advice is to do your research on the current state of military medicine. I also wanted to serve my country, but simply wanting to serve may not be reason enough to pursue a military medical career. You'll understand what I mean if you read the military med. forum and pose questions. There are many residents, retired and active duty military docs who are willing to answer questions there.

good luck.

I have read a lot of the posts, and I understand that there are a lot of issues with military medicine...that said, I am still up in the air as result of that...if most of those issues were not problematic then there would be now doubt I'd go to USUHS, but I am definitely worried about signing my life away to a system that seems to be failing