USUHS MCAT vs. GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what weight USUHS gives MCAT scores vs. GPA? My scores are solid, my GPA is 3.25ish overall, 2.88 BPCM. I've got 7 years of service at this point as a pilot in the AF. I'm just wondering how much that science GPA is going to bite me in the behind...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MoosePilot said:
Anyone know what weight USUHS gives MCAT scores vs. GPA? My scores are solid, my GPA is 3.25ish overall, 2.88 BPCM. I've got 7 years of service at this point as a pilot in the AF. I'm just wondering how much that science GPA is going to bite me in the behind...

Thanks!

MoosePilot, don't worry, you will get into USUHS. Didn't you get like a 36 or something on the MCAT? All USUHS will say is that a 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT is the competitive profile. That, however, is based on the average they accept. Prior or current military always have an advantage at USUHS, and I bet the average military person that gets in has a lower GPA than 3.5. I will probably be seeing you next year in class at USUHS, as it is my top choice. I have a 3.8 and a 30, and six years active duty as a Naval Officer and am not too worried about getting in...you should not worry either. Plus, if you have recent coursework that shows academic improvement, that will probably be what they look at more.

GoNavy said:
MoosePilot, don't worry, you will get into USUHS. Didn't you get like a 36 or something on the MCAT? All USUHS will say is that a 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT is the competitive profile. That, however, is based on the average they accept. Prior or current military always have an advantage at USUHS, and I bet the average military person that gets in has a lower GPA than 3.5. I will probably be seeing you next year in class at USUHS, as it is my top choice. I have a 3.8 and a 30, and six years active duty as a Naval Officer and am not too worried about getting in...you should not worry either. Plus, if you have recent coursework that shows academic improvement, that will probably be what they look at more.

Thanks for the confidence. We'll definitely see :)

We need to post if/when we get interviews, because some of us applicant types might be able to meet there.

Members don't see this ad :)
The USUHS applicant pool has dropped 50% since the late 90s when they used to get around 3200 applications. Now they are in the 1600 range. I am a recent grad, and before I left the dean's office was expressing concern about the effects the drop in applicant rate. I don't know how it has affected average scores, which used to be 3.5 and 30.

There are obvious reasons for the drop-off: the war, the low rates on loans, and the good job market for physicians. I would definitely not go to USUHS again if I could do it over, but then again most of you on this thread have prior service, so you know what you're getting into with the military.

The major disappointments I and other active duty residents have is with the downsizing and shrinking patient pool. The complexity and breadth necessary to carry out GME just is not there anymore at the military's pseudo medical centers, in my opinion. The practice environment during payback at smaller hospitals and clinics is even slower, thus physicians run the risk of losing skills and stagnating. The problem with being a USUHS grad is that you are required to do military GME and then you have the long 7 year payback, which makes it tough on specialized docs to stay on top of their expertise. After practicing in a stagnant, excessively slow paced military environment for 7 years, some docs don't feel that they can compete in the fast paced environment of the civilian sector, so they stay in to further stagnate until retirement at 20 years, doing very little clinical work and pretending that shuffling papers, rearrranging office furniture, and checking email counts as quality "admin leadership". It is a horrible mentality--yet very pervasive.

Needlesss to say, if I had understood what the atmosphere and bureacracy were really like prior to signing up, I never would have chosen the military route. USUHS does a decent song and dance while you are a student there in their self-contained bubble in Bethesda, but it is when you leave and enter the active duy medical environment that you really see what things are like.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
Everyone on the boards are so helpful!!! Moose Pilot, you are definitely an inspiration.
I am just learning how to post, so please forgive my initial errors!!
I really want to attend USUHS, and over the last couple days I have been feeling more and more anxious.
I am a 32 year old female(I was told that you can get an age waiver), I have been married ten years, have two boys (5 and 7yrs old), I have a Masters in Physical Therapy and have been practicing as a Licensed Therapist for just over 7 years. My cum GPA is 3.49 and my science GPA is 3.2. I took my undergrad science courses over 12 years ago, and I'm trying my best studying for the MCAT, however I'm finding that I am having a pretty difficult time. I will complete O-chem II and calculus this fall. I have 7 weeks left before the August MCAT, any extra study reccommendations? I am taking KAPLAN, but feel pretty far behind. Where the class is reviewing, I feel like I'm re-learning. I'm doing o.k. but a lot is in GOD's hands :)
I already turned in my application and AMCAS has already processed it, and I'm scheduled to take my MCAT in Aug. I am hoping that they might send out secondaries, before having my completed application in October.
I know that I am suppose to go to USUHS, it feels so right. I am only applying to one school. But tonight I started to think that with my GPA and my potentially below average MCAT, they might not even look at my application. I really consider my whole package a great fit with the school and the millitary, I just hope they'll read into it.
I was going Air Force Academy after Highschool, I was being recruited for basketball and was ready to go. Then, I decided not to go because my Dad was terminally ill and I wanted to stay close to home to be with him. I would never change that decision, but now I'm trying to get another chance, just 14 years later. Please wish me luck. I hope to see you there!!

Good luck Tracer!

As far as suggestions for studying the MCAT go, make sure to take charge of your studying. Anything that you don't really understand, do extra work on. Save a good diag for the end and decide whether you're prepared (one of the AAMC tests like 6R).

Hope to see you!

Is anyone still on this board? I have applied to USUHS this cycle.....my first application cycle. I am coming from serving as a Navy Hospital Corpsman attached to the MC for 4 years. I have a high GPA and a so-so MCAT score (below average). Can anyone tell me how much USUHS will take the MCAT score into account with all of my other factors?

Is anyone still on this board? I have applied to USUHS this cycle.....my first application cycle. I am coming from serving as a Navy Hospital Corpsman attached to the MC for 4 years. I have a high GPA and a so-so MCAT score (below average). Can anyone tell me how much USUHS will take the MCAT score into account with all of my other factors?

Thank you for your service HM.

USUHS is very holistic but like most medical schools the numbers will help them determine whether or not one can pass the curriculum.

What percentile did your score fall under? If it is only slightly below there is still a fighting chance.

Thank you for your service HM.

USUHS is very holistic but like most medical schools the numbers will help them determine whether or not one can pass the curriculum.

What percentile did your score fall under? If it is only slightly below there is still a fighting chance.

The first time I took the MCAT I scored in the 30th Percentile :(. But retook it and I should have my new scores next week! I definitely felt better this time around though so I know my score will be higher :). Its just hard for me to think that one factor (such as the MCAT) can make or break a student trying to get into medical school....

The first time I took the MCAT I scored in the 30th Percentile :(. But retook it and I should have my new scores next week! I definitely felt better this time around though so I know my score will be higher :). Its just hard for me to think that one factor (such as the MCAT) can make or break a student trying to get into medical school....

Sounds like a plan. No use in worrying about your admissions chances until that score comes out next week :).

Well in the MCAT's defense (as much as I personally loathe it), it is a decent correlation on how one does on the board exams a few years down the line. Good luck devildoc! This board is very friendly to the prior service folks.

just get a letter of recommendation from General.

just get a letter of recommendation from General.

I have a bunch from medical officers that I served with...even one from a doctor teaching the ER residency at USUHS! But I'm definitely counting on the holistic approach! A General would be nice though :)

Sounds like a plan. No use in worrying about your admissions chances until that score comes out next week :).

Well in the MCAT's defense (as much as I personally loathe it), it is a decent correlation on how one does on the board exams a few years down the line. Good luck devildoc! This board is very friendly to the prior service folks.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your input. My best tactic is to just stay positive :), thats all that I can do at this point.

Depends on why you were denied so...maybe.
Obviously psych reasons, look at the username. :)

KraziKay, come on, seriously, if you want answers and help you've got throw out a little more information.

Strictly speaking, USUHS offers conditional acceptances to people who get through the application and interview process. The "conditions" are all the things that'll be checked to ensure you're eligible to be commissioned as an officer into an armed service. One of those things is ... MEPS.

So. Tell us why you were disqualified last time, and whether or not that issue has resolved, and we'll tell you if it's likely to be OK or waiverable.

I have 7 toes on my right foot. They never made me take my socks off during the HPSP physical. If I disclose this after I finish residency will they kick me out and let me get a civ job?

Asking for a friend.