USUHS Med waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winston_79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been accepted to USUHS but medically disqualified by DODMERB. I'm already comissioned/active duty so it seems bogus for this to happen. Anyone out there recently undergo this process? If so, any pointers? Feel free to PM me.....Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

winston_79 said:
Hey all,
I've been accepted to USUHS but medically disqualified by DODMERB. I'm already comissioned/active duty so it seems bogus for this to happen. Anyone out there recently undergo this process? If so, any pointers? Feel free to PM me.....Thanks.

Same happened to me. The military has various medical standards, and they do not use retention standards for USUHS, they use commissioning standards. I submitted my waiver (Mr. Mitchell just tells you to send him an email saying you want a waiver), and then the waiver, or at least was the situation with mine, has to go to the pentagon to get approved. Anyway, the pentagon rejected my waiver. So now I am trying to submit a new phsycial and a letter from my doc saying that my medical records are inaccurate, which they are. It probably won't work, but I've exhasted the official waiver process so if i can't get in the backdoor I guess I can't get in at all. I guess it's probably possible to do what a lot of kids did when I was at the academy and that is write your congressman.

Winston:
if you don't mind let me know if your waiver gets disapproved. it will probably take a few weeks for them to get back to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
will do.....just sent you a PM

Well, sounds like you will at least receive a disability when you resign- it appears that you are no longer in the same condition as when you were commissioned.

gravy4thebrain said:
Well, sounds like you will at least receive a disability when you resign- it appears that you are no longer in the same condition as when you were commissioned.

No if it were a condition that was that bad they would medically separate me. It's not bad enough to get medically separated i guess, just bad enough to not be eligible for USUHS/HPSP.

I hate to pry, but I didn't realize I'd have to have a totally separate physical. I get a flying class I physical every year, why would I need a less intensive physical for this?! :mad: I hate the thought that the military might decide I'm ok to fly planes, but not ok to be a doc :mad:

Well, I'd probably bail at that point. I don't need to stay with an organization that's that stupid. Let me know what's happening with you if you're willing.

The physicals are all basically the same but you have to have the specific physical for what it is you're gonna do. My dive physicals should be enough for USUHS/HPSP but they won't be.

Moose, I wouldn't worry about it but then again I wouldn't put it past the military to come up with something this ridiculous. Keep your head down.

Moosepilot-

What you are talking about happened to me. I had a current Class I flight physical, but was disqualified by DODMERB. I had to submit some additional paperwork, to include my flight physical. My problem was that I had two disqualifying surgeries, but had waivers for them. I saw an orthopedic surgeon, he wrote me a letter, and along with my waivers it was OK'd. No one anywhere in the process thought that I would not get qualified, but DODMERB just gets your stuff and spits out the simplest answer at first. It drove me nuts, to say the least, when I was getting a call on my cell phone about my disqualification minutes after landing a military aircraft. Having been in for 9 nine years, nothing that didn't surprise me.

pilotdoc said:
Moosepilot-

What you are talking about happened to me. I had a current Class I flight physical, but was disqualified by DODMERB. I had to submit some additional paperwork, to include my flight physical. My problem was that I had two disqualifying surgeries, but had waivers for them. I saw an orthopedic surgeon, he wrote me a letter, and along with my waivers it was OK'd. No one anywhere in the process thought that I would not get qualified, but DODMERB just gets your stuff and spits out the simplest answer at first. It drove me nuts, to say the least, when I was getting a call on my cell phone about my disqualification minutes after landing a military aircraft. Having been in for 9 nine years, nothing that didn't surprise me.

Well, I haven't had any surgeries. I only have one waiver that I know about - for a stomach issue that I think was caused by the MCAT on top of these darn wars that I keep supporting for some reason :laugh: As long as I stop taking the Prilosec, I think I can get that one off the record.

I completely understand what you're saying about how nothing will suprise you at this point. The military simply refuses to use common sense. There's no provision in any reg for it, so it must be prohibited.