USUHS vs. HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scooter31

'Ello Guv'nah!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all- just curious about all that entails being a USUHS student. Mostly, I know one way or another I will be a doc in the AF eventually, but am sort of torn between the scholarship and applying to USUHS. I'll do both, but am curious about the differences in lifestyle, medical education, that sort of thing. I know you have a bigger committment after residency as a USUHS student (7 years vs. 4 years for the scholarship), but after that, what's the big draw to the school? Any feedback would be great.... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Scooter, I am by no means an expert, but I am probably starting at USUHS next year, so I have tried to learn a great deal about it. Of course you know about the differences in pay (35K for USUHS vs 12K) and in payback (7 years vs 4). USUHS is trying to train career military docs, and even though you are only required to payback 7 years, if you aren't interested in going career, then most people would say that HPSP is the way to go. If you are interested in a military career, then the choice is easy: go to USUHS.
For me, it's not as cut-and-dry. Since I have no previous military experience, I'm not really sure if I will want to be a lifer. However, I'm not necessary against it, and I REALLY liked USUHS. The people there were great, and I would totally love to go to school there, plus I'm actually looking forward to the miliray aspect of it all. I think that the only reason I would do HPSP at this point was if I was accepted to another school that I sincerely liked better than USUHS, however that is not likely to happen. The other schools I interviewed at and was accepted to were not my top choices, and I honestly think that I will be happier and be better trained at USUHS. You will need to make that decision for yourself, and you won't really be able to do that until you interview. There was <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001867&p=" target="_blank">a great thread on this topic</a> a while back, which you should read.

One more piece of advice: Apply early. seriouly, this is important all around, but especially for USUHS. I heard that USUHS filled their class by december this year, so if you interview after that, you are likely to only be waitlisted.

There is one hidden disadvantage with USUHS. All USUHS folks MUST do their residency in the military. The military programs are good, but there is a limited number of them. HPSPers will get automatically defered if they do not get one of their five choices. USUHSers will get "put somewhere".

Just one thing to think about,

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by edmadison:
[QB]There is one hidden disadvantage with USUHS. All USUHS folks MUST do their residency in the military. The military programs are good, but there is a limited number of them. HPSPers will get automatically defered if they do not get one of their five choice...."

Hmmmm once again a misnomer perpetuated by the experts....It is not a fact that all USUHS MUST do residencies in the Military, it is possible to get a deferment but highly unpractical. The reason for this is that when you are on deferment you are basically out of the military therefore if you do a 5 year residency in a civilian institution ,after graduating from USU, when you come back in the military you would still be an O-3 with less than 2 years of service for pay and rank purposes. This is a bigtime setback in a military career because all of your peers that you went to school with already would have 5 years time in service and time in grade toward promotion and you would be starting from day 1.

The "hidden disadvantage" really isn't a disadvantage unless you have your heart set on doing a civilian residency. The fact of the matter is that USUHS students consistently get their first choice of specialty over 95% of the time and their first choice of location in the high 80%...I'm not sure what HPSP is but I'm sure it isn't that high. As the Col. in charge of the Joint GME selection committee assured us "USUHS students have historically faired very well in the selection process" and rightfully so since the military knows that we (USUHS) students have made a committment to be around a while and are expected to be the future leadership of military medicine. This, as opposed to HPSP students who are expected to have large numbers departing the military after their 4 year payback period.

The question that you want to answer for yourself is: what do I want out of my career as a physician? If the answer is: I want to be a career military medical officer, USUHS is the obvious choice. If the answer is something like: I'm not sure that I want to spend an extended time in the military but I would like to serve for a while just to test the waters...and oh yeah free school is nice too, then check out HPSP. One is not necessarily better than the other, but the two programs are designed to accomplish two different things. HPSP is kinda like hiring temps who you expect to get out after 4 years, but with the option of staying on if they like it. For most, it doesn't make good financial sense since after their obligation is up they only have 4 years in toward retirement, whereas USUHS students will have over 10 years in towards retirement + another 4 years of credit toward retirement pay. USUHS sets you up to be a future leader in the military healthcare system as a career medical officer.

Either way you are doing a good service for your country, and will get opportunities to do things that civilian docs never will (some might say that is a bad thing, personally I look forward to it). Best of luck whatever path you decide on, and give USUHS a visit if you get the chance, many people who are initally unsure about the school are pleasantly surprised after a visit.

ed, i've heard this a couple times, but i'm not really sure what to make of it. One thing is that military residencies pay better, so it doesn't seem like it would be such a drag to do one. But my real confusion is that, like you said, you have to list 5 choices for your military match. But many of the more competitive fields don't have 5 sites to choose from, yet you have to put down 5 anyway. So say you are an HPSP, and wanna go in to opthamology in the Army, so you put down all three optho sites, and then two more programs to fill the list. While you may not match in optho, you may get something in the other field (esp. if it's not as competitive), so you still don't get the automatic deferal you are talking about. I guess it just doesn't seem to me that going HPSP over USUHS is a good idea if you are doing it to get a civilian residency. I don't think that it will end up being that easy, and couldn't you get stuck in a field that you didn't want, still in the military? Please correct me if I've gotten something wrong here...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by edmadison:
•There is one hidden disadvantage with USUHS. All USUHS folks MUST do their residency in the military. The military programs are good, but there is a limited number of them. HPSPers will get automatically defered if they do not get one of their five choices. USUHSers will get "put somewhere".

Just one thing to think about,

Ed•••••

I am also faced with this decision, and am so glad a recent thread is started on it!
In addition to the 7 year payback (for a TOP NOTCH education, I was very impressed at the interview), don't forget to consider the cost of living in the DC area. If you are single, then the pay and allowances at USUHS are great, but going HPSP at schools in LOW cost of living areas is not too shabby either!
Plus 3rd and 4th year rotations are only at Military sites-Bethesda Naval, Walter Reed,etc.. (not 100% sure about that fact), so once again, make sure you want to be in the military!
I was very impressed with USUHS and the only reason I'd go elswhere is for a less congested area of the country, (less traffic, lower cost of living, etc). Good luck in your decision!

John,
If you werent to match in 3 Optho residencies, although it wouldnt be guaranteed, you could still get an ed-delay if you matched in a civilian program(even if you matched in your 4th coice non-optho res). If you didnt get the delay, the Army Medical Department considers any training beyond the FYGME(internship) to be a personal career choice. So you could complete the internship then not do a residency until you complete the payback time as a GMO. This is the main reason stated for never being able to completely eliminate the GMO(because Continuing Medical Education is preferred but OPTIONAL).
Hopes this makes sense I am typing fast so I can get off work on a Friday.
Enjoy the weekend.
SSG Gray

Updating this on saturday, the point of this is that you would not be FORCED into a specialty you dont really want to be in.

True that you would not be "forced" into a specialty you don't want, but you would have to do four years as a GMO and then when you have completed your payback you will have the joy of looking for a PGY-2 position in a very competitive field (good luck) or repeating your internship. There are some sneaky ways to avoid getting selected into a program that you don't want.

To respond to what tman said, if I remember correctly, the statistics they gave us at OBC (ARMY) showed that HPSPers actually have had a better match rate in terms of getting their top choices than the USUHS folks. I've also heard from the Army residency selection higher ups that the UHUHS students are very carefully counselled regarding their match selections.

Ed

Rigghhht...and I have some prime beachfront property in Wyoming for sale Ed.

HPSP students aren't counselled on their match selections? Sounds like another disadvantage to being an HPSP student to me...

Well, you don't have to believe it if you don't want to, but that's what they told us.

The issue about counselling means that they will "tell" you that you are not competitive and get you to apply in another specialty. In HPSP you just end up going through the civilian match

Ed