Usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been asking some questions about USUHS in the military medicine forum, but I thought I'd ask here too, in case I'm missing some feedback.

Does anybody have any experiences with USUHS applications, secondaries, interviews, or acceptance that they'd like to share with me?

If you're not shy, include details like GPAs/MCATs. You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Moose - did you try military medicine forum? You can probably find some answers there, if not, many people willing to discuss military medicine with ya...

metabolite said:
Moose - did you try military medicine forum? You can probably find some answers there, if not, many people willing to discuss military medicine with ya...

Why, yes, yes I did :)

Members don't see this ad :)
metabolite said:

u have good reading comprehension skillzzz

Moosepilot said:
I've been asking some questions about USUHS in the military medicine forum, but I thought I'd ask here too, in case I'm missing some feedback.

metabolite said:

hmm ... i think we made a wrong turn somewhere ...

uclacrewdude said:
hmm ... i think we made a wrong turn somewhere ...

OK, OK... I didn't read your original post very well... sorry about that.

metabolite said:
OK, OK... I didn't read your original post very well... sorry about that.

Definitely no big deal. I thought it was funny more than anything :)

Anyone else have some USUHS experience they'd like to tell me about? Any information that isn't easily available from official sources. I read all their interview feedbacks.

It cracked me up that the number one negative seemed to be "they have to wear uniforms"... if that's a negative, people shouldn't go there, because there's 7 years of uniform wear after grad (at least).

Moose,
All I can tell you is that I was stationed at Bethesda Naval Hospital for 3+ yrs. USUSH
is on the same base(not really a full fledged base). USUHS was a pretty cool little place with great people, worked with the students a few times and they were scared, young peeps, but cool. They had time to party. i played against them in some intramural sport( drinking) softball games. I loved the whole DC, Maryland, Virginia metro area.

Termwean said:
Moose,
All I can tell you is that I was stationed at Bethesda Naval Hospital for 3+ yrs. USUSH
is on the same base(not really a full fledged base). USUHS was a pretty cool little place with great people, worked with the students a few times and they were scared, young peeps, but cool. They had time to party. i played against them in some intramural sport( drinking) softball games. I loved the whole DC, Maryland, Virginia metro area.

I got the chance to visit the campus when I was flying some missions out of Andrews. I was extremely impressed with the friendly admissions staff. I ate lunch with some students. One of the students introduced me to the Commandant, who talked to me for awhile, which is really incredible to see the students willing to just drop in on someone who is probably equivalent to the dean. I was blown away.

It's definitely my first choice (only choice for the next two years I think).

Good luck Moose,
I just took that school off of my AMCAS before I submitted it b/c my wife just can't deal with having 7+ yrs obligation hanging over our head. She is bitter b/c I missed the 1 st 8months of kids life in Kandahar, Afghanistan. BTW I flown on a few c-17's in 2003. Long flight across the ocean in the back of that. Slept on a pallet after taking 50mg of benedryl and some flexeril.

Termwean said:
Good luck Moose,
I just took that school off of my AMCAS before I submitted it b/c my wife just can't deal with having 7+ yrs obligation hanging over our head. She is bitter b/c I missed the 1 st 8months of kids life in Kandahar, Afghanistan. BTW I flown on a few c-17's in 2003. Long flight across the ocean in the back of that. Slept on a pallet after taking 50mg of benedryl and some flexeril.

Well I definitely understand her point. It's the best thing for my family, but no where near everyone!

I'm not worried about a military residency. I may even decide to do a GMO tour as a Flight Surgeon before looking at any residency. Oh, wait, I've got to get accepted first. Small point :)

Moose, I know one person currently there. He had a 3.9+ and apparently a really good mcat score. Although he was accepted everywhere he applied, he chose USUHS because of the income it provided while he was at school.

I am active duty and I do know another active duty girl who applied there this year. She was accepted and I think her GPA was around a 3.3-3.4 and she got a 33 on the mcats. She did not have a lot of clinic experience, but obviously enough to apply. Also, I know her AMCAS ps spoke strongly of her desire to serve her country concurrently through the military and medicine.
The guy I know at USHUS is quite happy with his decision, and I understand that it is a pretty family friendly school. Anyways, I hope this helps some.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you at Cherrypoint? I would love to be military medicine. Don't really have to worry about malpractice/HMO. USUHS, getting paid t/o school( more $ for me prior enlisted) I could practically retire by the time I am clear of the obligation too! I love the area around USUHS also....probably the place where I have the best chance of getting in also...but got to think about the wishes of my family. Closest I can get is HPSP with its smaller pay-back

USUHS seems to have the happiest medical students - it's pretty much off the charts when it comes to student satisfaction. I'm confident that I would have been happier there during the next four years than I will be at the school I ultimately chose. For me, though, the decision was a family one and had to do with where in life I'd be happiest 10-15 years down the line.

I had pretty crappy numbers (<30 MCAT, ~3.1 ugrad GPA including ~2.4 science GPA prior to taking postbacc classes) but being active duty definitely helped. I'm not sure when you're applying (it sounds like not this year?) but if you want more specifics (timeline for secondary app, etc.) I'll be happy to share.

Swiper said:
USUHS seems to have the happiest medical students - it's pretty much off the charts when it comes to student satisfaction. I'm confident that I would have been happier there during the next four years than I will be at the school I ultimately chose. For me, though, the decision was a family one and had to do with where in life I'd be happiest 10-15 years down the line.

I had pretty crappy numbers (<30 MCAT, ~3.1 ugrad GPA including ~2.4 science GPA prior to taking postbacc classes) but being active duty definitely helped. I'm not sure when you're applying (it sounds like not this year?) but if you want more specifics (timeline for secondary app, etc.) I'll be happy to share.

I'd love to have the timeline, etc. That's great and just the sort of thing I started the thread for!

I'm applying this year, but active duty military have to have letters of permission to apply. I'm working to get that at the same time as my application goes in (which is totally allowed). The problem is that my career field is holding onto people very tightly, even though the stats show us to be fully manned (I know the numbers lie, we're working ourselves to death). So the personnel guy has pretty much told me I'd get turned down this year. Next year is more likely, cause I can leave if I want, so it's let me go to med school or get out.

So I've got two hurdles: being allowed to apply and getting in. If I don't get the permission, they'll stop my application process in the middle. I won't be rejected, I just can't be accepted.

So this year may unfortunately end up being a trial run for next year. They told me that even if I get yanked, they'll evaluate my application and tell me how to make it stronger, which is worth the effort.

MegADoc? said:
Moose, I know one person currently there. He had a 3.9+ and apparently a really good mcat score. Although he was accepted everywhere he applied, he chose USUHS because of the income it provided while he was at school.

I am active duty and I do know another active duty girl who applied there this year. She was accepted and I think her GPA was around a 3.3-3.4 and she got a 33 on the mcats. She did not have a lot of clinic experience, but obviously enough to apply. Also, I know her AMCAS ps spoke strongly of her desire to serve her country concurrently through the military and medicine.
The guy I know at USHUS is quite happy with his decision, and I understand that it is a pretty family friendly school. Anyways, I hope this helps some.

Was it her science or overall? And if overall do you know if her science was about the same or lower? She's pretty close to my stats.

Your friend's numbers are much higher than mine. Wish I had buckled down and gotten that 3.9 :)

MoosePilot said:
I'd love to have the timeline, etc. That's great and just the sort of thing I started the thread for!

I'm applying this year, but active duty military have to have letters of permission to apply. I'm working to get that at the same time as my application goes in (which is totally allowed). The problem is that my career field is holding onto people very tightly, even though the stats show us to be fully manned (I know the numbers lie, we're working ourselves to death). So the personnel guy has pretty much told me I'd get turned down this year. Next year is more likely, cause I can leave if I want, so it's let me go to med school or get out.

So I've got two hurdles: being allowed to apply and getting in. If I don't get the permission, they'll stop my application process in the middle. I won't be rejected, I just can't be accepted.

So this year may unfortunately end up being a trial run for next year. They told me that even if I get yanked, they'll evaluate my application and tell me how to make it stronger, which is worth the effort.
I submitted my AMCAS on the first day last year (I think it was June 3) and the USUHS Secondary was the first I received back, via email I think around July 17 or 18. I had taken the MCAT in April, but was retaking it in August so my interview was delayed because of that. Once the August scores were back, I was able to schedule my interview within a week or so (they had an opening pop up.) I received my acceptance two months after the interview - initially they're able to stick with their advertised 6-weeks, but after a while they seem to get a little more backed up.

Swiper said:
I submitted my AMCAS on the first day last year (I think it was June 3) and the USUHS Secondary was the first I received back, via email I think around July 17 or 18. I had taken the MCAT in April, but was retaking it in August so my interview was delayed because of that. Once the August scores were back, I was able to schedule my interview within a week or so (they had an opening pop up.) I received my acceptance two months after the interview - initially they're able to stick with their advertised 6-weeks, but after a while they seem to get a little more backed up.

Wow, sounds like things there can happen quick! Way to go on all of your acceptances and thanks for the info.

Did any interviewees bring spouses to the campus on interview day? Did they have any tours set up for them?

At least one person, maybe two, brought their spouse to the interview day. In fact the spouse sat in during the interviews and asked questions. I remember that the school encouraged it, as USUHS and its obligation will probably affect the spouse more significantly than other medical school routes. USUHS is very family friendly.
I can't stress enough how pleased I am in my dealings with USUHS so far. I am glad I made the choice that I did.
OBC starts next weekend, and I can't wait!!!! Then off to Maryland.

And yes, in my experience, they move fast. I got my secondary in July, got an interview as soon as I submitted my LOR's, and was accepted 6 weeks later to the day. It was nice to have a pre-Christmas acceptance.
Everyone does not hear back in exactly 6 weeks, but they are fast, and the admissions office staff is very helpful and friendly, even when I ask stupid questions.
To anyone else reading this post, please do your research about USUHS and the state of military medicine before making any decisions. Although most seem to be happy with USUHS, some are not so happy about the career that follows.

evines said:
At least one person, maybe two, brought their spouse to the interview day. In fact the spouse sat in during the interviews and asked questions. I remember that the school encouraged it, as USUHS and its obligation will probably affect the spouse more significantly than other medical school routes. USUHS is very family friendly.
I can't stress enough how pleased I am in my dealings with USUHS so far. I am glad I made the choice that I did.
OBC starts next weekend, and I can't wait!!!! Then off to Maryland.

The spouses actually sat in on the interview? That's way interesting. Did anyone express any feelings about how that affected the interview?

I'm excited, but I agree with what else you said. I've spent days in a tent in the desert (they're nice tents), but some people might be way surprised to go to school for 10-15 years post secondary only to be forced to be away from home sleeping in a tent. It's all about realistic expectations and knowing what you're getting into.

Moose-
You'd asked about the science GPA and hers was a 3.25ish. I saw that you posted that your amcas is verified... and thus know your "official" gpa. I am so jealous, I submitted mine on june 2 too, but alas, they must have seen all my course work and decided to put it on the bottom of the pile :confused:
Ah well, just gives me more to obsessively check other than my mcat scores...
M

MegADoc? said:
Moose-
You'd asked about the science GPA and hers was a 3.25ish. I saw that you posted that your amcas is verified... and thus know your "official" gpa. I am so jealous, I submitted mine on june 2 too, but alas, they must have seen all my course work and decided to put it on the bottom of the pile :confused:
Ah well, just gives me more to obsessively check other than my mcat scores...
M
Hiya Moose-

I'm former Marine Corps and I'm applying to USUHS this year. I really like the idea of being active duty during the med school years and I have absolutely no problem with doing military medicine. I have a hankering to get back to the green side....

In any case, good luck with your apps. If you have any questions let me know. :)

MegADoc?, EvoDevo, any other USU applicants,

How's the process treating you so far? I'm awaiting secondaries and trying to be patient. I'm assuming they'll come in the US mail soon.

Good luck!

I received 2nd apps from LSU-Shreveport, and Baylor( might not fill out....not competitive) waiting on USUHS, LSU-NO, UVM, Tufts, Boston U. About the only school that I have a chance at are the 2 LSUs....which is OK with me.
BTW....Do you think that eventually MilMed will be too full of Doctors willing to join Military b/c of bad insurance costs in civilian world vs. pretty good bene's of military?

MoosePilot said:

How's the process treating you so far? I'm awaiting secondaries and trying to be patient. I'm assuming they'll come in the US mail soon.

Good luck!

Termwean said:
I received 2nd apps from LSU-Shreveport, and Baylor( might not fill out....not competitive) waiting on USUHS, LSU-NO, UVM, Tufts, Boston U. About the only school that I have a chance at are the 2 LSUs....which is OK with me.
BTW....Do you think that eventually MilMed will be too full of Doctors willing to join Military b/c of bad insurance costs in civilian world vs. pretty good bene's of military?

Good luck on the LSUs and all the rest, too.

I don't think so. I think money and freedom from military obligation will keep folks preferring civilian practice. The military is great, but most people don't want to spend time in Iraq at someone else's bidding.

I just had a quick question for anyone who knows. Does USUHS secondary tend to come as an email or US mail? I've seen it in past posts as email, but I think I saw someone say US mail, too.

Anybody know?

MoosePilot said:
I just had a quick question for anyone who knows. Does USUHS secondary tend to come as an email or US mail? I've seen it in past posts as email, but I think I saw someone say US mail, too.

Anybody know?

E-mail. Go get 'em Moose.

Actually, you made me think about it and dig through my stash. It looks like this as an e-mail.

Your AMCAS application has been received and reviewed. The Admissions Committee is advancing you to the secondary stage. Please access the Supplemental Application Materials at http://www.usuhs.mil/adm/suppinstr.html and return the materials by postal mail within 3 weeks. (There is no fee for processing secondary applications.)

A self addressed, stamped envelope should be enclosed, this will allow the Admissions Office staff to provide you with a receipt for your secondary application and your letters of recommendation received at the Admissions Office. Enclosing the self addressed envelope will also help reduce the number of telephone inquiries regarding secondary material and recommendations received. If you have further questions, please contact the Admissions Office at the contacts listed below.

We look forward to receiving your completed application materials!

MoosePilot said:

Good luck!
Submitted AMCAS on 7/12 and not yet processed/verified, so no contact from schools just yet. OTOH, I've filled out the GWU and Baylor secondaries, and am now complete and awaiting transmission at the TX schools. Also, all secondaries complete in TX.

Good luck to you, Moose and Termwean. :thumbup:

JMC, what's the latest, Devil Dog? Classes starting soon?

JMC_MarineCorps said:
E-mail. Go get 'em Moose.

Wow, I really appreciate that. I'm a little freaked out by the blurb about letters. I just couldn't get any academic letters due to 8 years removal and 2000 miles of distance, so I'm sending in two letters from active duty military doctors I shadowed and my squadron commander. I spoke with the director of admissions and she said that would do, but I wonder how much of a negative it will really be. If this year doesn't work out, I may talk to my undergrad school's pre-med office and see if I can't get an interview with them and hopefully a letter.

Luckily I'm an incredible packrat, so I didn't have too much trouble finding my score reports for the SAT and ACT.

Thanks again for the link. Thanks Evo for the good luck, same right back to you!

Hey Moose, FWIW, I'd think that at a lot of schools, not having the academic letters in your situation wouldn't hurt you any. While I'm sure that there are some institutions (Ivy's? Dunno) would have a fit, I'd have to believe that you have a wonderful reason NOT to have them....

Just my two cents.

And thanks, man.

EvoDevo said:
Hey Moose, FWIW, I'd think that at a lot of schools, not having the academic letters in your situation wouldn't hurt you any. While I'm sure that there are some institutions (Ivy's? Dunno) would have a fit, I'd have to believe that you have a wonderful reason NOT to have them....

Just my two cents.

And thanks, man.

Thanks! You cheered me right up :D

Think of it this way: You've got a great story, I assume a good GPA, and a money MCAT.

You're so money.......:thumbup:

EvoDevo said:
Think of it this way: You've got a great story, I assume a good GPA, and a money MCAT.

You're so money.......:thumbup:

GPA isn't strong, but the rest is good. I'm not too worried, but when I read things that come across as "you must have this thing that is almost impossible to get 8 years after graduating", I do worry a bit :oops:

How's the verification process going?

MoosePilot said:
GPA isn't strong, but the rest is good. I'm not too worried, but when I read things that come across as "you must have this thing that is almost impossible to get 8 years after graduating", I do worry a bit :oops:

How's the verification process going?
Eh, no progress yet, but it's only been five working days. It seems that the avg is ~ 10 biz days, so hopefully next week.

EvoDevo said:
JMC, what's the latest, Devil Dog? Classes starting soon?

Chesty Devo,

How's it hangin' my man? Yes, school starts in a few weeks - greatly looking forward to it. Been out of the game for 2 years - clinical trials research to boost my clinical experience. Been running in the morning and reading my biochem book to pick up the pace and get my a$$ in gear. Watched Full Metal Jacket and Apocolypse Now the other night - really gettin' moto as you can tell.

Its funny, but with 5000+ posts, I thought you might already be in the field getting some...then I see on this thread that you are just getting started with the app..crazy, took me back for a sec.

MoosePilot said:
Wow, I really appreciate that. I'm a little freaked out by the blurb about letters. I just couldn't get any academic letters due to 8 years removal and 2000 miles of distance, so I'm sending in two letters from active duty military doctors I shadowed and my squadron commander. I spoke with the director of admissions and she said that would do, but I wonder how much of a negative it will really be. If this year doesn't work out, I may talk to my undergrad school's pre-med office and see if I can't get an interview with them and hopefully a letter.

Luckily I'm an incredible packrat, so I didn't have too much trouble finding my score reports for the SAT and ACT.

Thanks again for the link. Thanks Evo for the good luck, same right back to you!

Moose,

Once you are invited for an interview, introduce yourself to the older white-haired gentleman in incredible shape Col. Stavish (Ret.). He comes out and schmoozes with everyone and he also gives the morning briefing. This guy is the most squared-away, drill instructor-like former soldier I have ever seen. If everyone else there was as locked on as that guy I would have had a freakin' hard-on.

Oh and be sure not to speed on base. Squid Nazi busted me for a $75 ticket for going 45 in a ??? speedzone. Then he proceeded to treat me as though I was a possible threat to national security. Yes, let's harrass the blonde-haired, blue-eyed, high and tight and navy-blue-suit wearing white guy because he seems suspicious and in too much of a hurry to get off base to beat the traffic so he doesn't miss his flight out of Dulles. Once I told him I was prior service Marine Corps and in a hurry to the airport - he goes back to the car and calls for backup. So freakin' typical.

MoosePilot said:

Good luck!

Moose-
Things are going. I have gotten 3 secondaries: MUSC, U of South Carolina and ECU (so all state schools) but the another perk to the military is that I get to petition for in state residency to SC (in addition to being a NC resident) so that's kinda nice :) I am still trying to decide to apply to USUHS. I have nothing but good things to say about the military (a few minor gripes but nothing major) but I just submitted my resignation letter (my PRD and EAOS is Feb 2005) We'll see.... I may just go ahead and add it. I find that as my separation nears, my anxiety increases! :eek:

Oh well, anyways, hope everyone's process is going well. And I noticed that you are sending letters from your commanding and your GMO (or well medical officer), so am I. Hopefully, they'll be well received.

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Moose,

Once you are invited for an interview, introduce yourself to the older white-haired gentleman in incredible shape Col. Stavish (Ret.). He comes out and schmoozes with everyone and he also gives the morning briefing. This guy is the most squared-away, drill instructor-like former soldier I have ever seen. If everyone else there was as locked on as that guy I would have had a freakin' hard-on.

Oh and be sure not to speed on base. Squid Nazi busted me for a $75 ticket for going 45 in a ??? speedzone. Then he proceeded to treat me as though I was a possible threat to national security. Yes, let's harrass the blonde-haired, blue-eyed, high and tight and navy-blue-suit wearing white guy because he seems suspicious and in too much of a hurry to get off base to beat the traffic so he doesn't miss his flight out of Dulles. Once I told him I was prior service Marine Corps and in a hurry to the airport - he goes back to the car and calls for backup. So freakin' typical.

I'll be sure to meet Col. Stavish. Is he long time faculty?

The speeding incident stinks, but it's funny the way you describe it. Calling for backup once he found out you were a Marine :laugh:

I got pulled over on Altus Air Force base. The SP was trying to grow a mustache, but it was wispy because he really couldn't grow one yet. He proceeded to lecture me about speeding (I was going 30 in a 25 the first time I'd driven down that street during this particular TDY). I didn't mind the ticket, but he annoyed the crap out of me. I hate getting a lecture from a 12 year old :smuggrin:

MegADoc? said:
Moose-
Things are going. I have gotten 3 secondaries: MUSC, U of South Carolina and ECU (so all state schools) but the another perk to the military is that I get to petition for in state residency to SC (in addition to being a NC resident) so that's kinda nice :) I am still trying to decide to apply to USUHS. I have nothing but good things to say about the military (a few minor gripes but nothing major) but I just submitted my resignation letter (my PRD and EAOS is Feb 2005) We'll see.... I may just go ahead and add it. I find that as my separation nears, my anxiety increases! :eek:

Oh well, anyways, hope everyone's process is going well. And I noticed that you are sending letters from your commanding and your GMO (or well medical officer), so am I. Hopefully, they'll be well received.

Yeah, if I they ever force me to separate in order to pursue this med school goal, I'll have a definite nervous period. Good luck with the transition! :luck:

I hope the LORs go well too. Good luck there too. We can post our progress here. Be sure to let me know when you all get your secondaries from USUHS (or if you decide to apply, MegADoc)!

Hey JMC:

Yeah, well I found this site a couple of years ago while prepping for med school. That's why I have sooooo many posts.

I owe you a PM. :thumbup:

Evo

MoosePilot said:
I hate getting a lecture from a 12 year old :smuggrin:

LOL. When I go on base these days I always think "Isn't it nice they have the cub scouts out, helping the SP's?" :laugh:

MoosePilot said:
I'll be sure to meet Col. Stavish. Is he long time faculty?

Yea he has been there for a long time, from what I understand. I'm also not sure whether he teaches or not. He has a Master's in the Health Sciences I believe.

His official title is:

LTC Peter J. Stavish, MS, USA (Ret)
Assistant Dean for Admissions and Academic Records.

Thanks!

Anyone else having trouble getting to the www.usuhs.mil website today?

Hey MoosePilot,
Talk to Quideam (PM her), another SDNer here. She got interviewed and accepted to USUHS last year but chose to attend another school. She'll give you more info. She seemed to like USU a lot!

CrazyCozak said:
Hey MoosePilot,
Talk to Quideam (PM her), another SDNer here. She got interviewed and accepted to USUHS last year but chose to attend another school. She'll give you more info. She seemed to like USU a lot!

Ok, thanks. I saw the name in some older posts I was reading to learn more. Appreciate the advice!

Feel free to PM me as well. I was accepted last year, however, I will be attending U Tex San Antonio in 2005. I was also really impressed with USUHS and got to meet Quideam on the interview day. Lets all remember to work out and take our vitamins if we want to look like Col Stavish at that age.

USUHS highly recommends emailing August MCAT scores as soon as they are released around Oct 14th. This is from Michelle Anderson in the admissions office. She told me when I visited the school last week (no interview yet, I was just in the area on other business).

She said she very strongly recommends to email your scores to [email protected] requesting that they be printed out and put in your file, then to follow up with a phone call if they don't email you back by the next day (darn good service for a med school admissions office, they are very professional). They recommend this, I think, because they move very fast in the application process (according to other posts on SDN). I plan to put the scores in the body text of the email, and also attach a Word document with an inserted JPEG of a screen capture of the THx webpage showing my scores, just so the printout they put in my file seems somewhat official. This is somewhat convoluted, but I figured it would be the most reliable way to do it since sometimes trying to email an HTML file (i.e., a saved file of the webpage) gets messed up. If anybody wants help on how to do what I am talking about, just ask.

She said that with the emailed scores they will send your file up to be reviewed and that you can get an interview invite based on the emailed scores (assuming this is the last thing you are waiting on for your file to be complete). This puts your file about 2 weeks or so ahead compared to waiting for the THx system, which they will of course eventually use to verify the scores you email to them.

This is yet another feature that sets this school apart from the pack. I haven't heard of other schools using emailed scores to consider applicants for the interview stage.

Are there any other submariners or Navy nuclear power applicants out there?

Hope this helps anybody who is late in the cycle for USUHS! Good luck, and hopefully I will meet some of ya'll at an interview.