UT- Austin COP Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Muchas gracias for the info. One week is a bit short notice. But I'll take it, I'm glad there's still time.

Oh and if you do get the interview, TRUST ME, stay relaxed. The UT interview day and the interview itself is simple and easy compared to the days you spend at the other schools. It goes by quick. Info, tour, talk with current students, and an interview.

Read the interview feedback section for sure! It helps tremendously and I was asked lots of questions that were on there. Don't sound like a robot, but you can get a very good idea of the situational type questions they will ask from that section.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invitation were sent out already? My application was fully submitted a week before it was due. Do you know when is the next time the adcoms will send out invitations?

Submitting your application a week before the deadline is actually on the late side. First round candidates will most likely be those applicants that finished their applications at least a month prior to the deadline. Hence, do not fear if you do not receive a first-round interview invitation. They may not have had a chance to review your application yet. This is, however, just speculation based on the fact that last year first-round interview invitations went out BEFORE the Feb 1st deadline. Things may have changed this year. Good luck to everyone!

Submitting your application a week before the deadline is actually on the late side. First round candidates will most likely be those applicants that finished their applications at least a month prior to the deadline. Hence, do not fear if you do not receive a first-round interview invitation. They may not have had a chance to review your application yet. This is, however, just speculation based on the fact that last year first-round interview invitations went out BEFORE the Feb 1st deadline. Things may have changed this year. Good luck to everyone!

That's how it has worked in the past--the sooner you apply, the more likely you are to get a first-round interview. This time, all interview offers are made after the deadline, so it doesn't matter when you turned in your app. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not believe any of us at UT COP actually know when invitations will be sent, but look at my post above for interview dates. When I was applying (2007), invites were sent about 1 week before the interview date. Not sure if it will be the same this year.

Interview invites are supposed to go out 1/22, I believe, so yes, it's about a week before the first interview date. And these are interview invites for everyone who will get an interview for UT, regardless of which interview date they receive.

Thank you so much for the clarification!!! :)

Hey, for the interview invites, will they send us an email or a letter? Im nervous!

I believe it is a phone call. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last year, it was sent as an e-mail. But some ppl got the e-mail at different times. I also remember that the invites went out a week before the interview too...so has anyone heard back yet?

I greatly apologize for providing incorrect information above. Like others have stated, ALL interview invitations will go out today and students may choose one from a total of six interview days. Invitations will most likely go out through email. In addition, no students will receive admittance letters until after ALL students have interviewed. I will be in the hospitality room on Saturday (1/30) and I look forward to meeting some of you.

Interview invitations sent out. I suppose I'll see some of you on the 29th.

My husband is interviewing Friday, January 29! We are so excited. Thanks for this great board!

I got one too on Feb 13! yay! good luck to everybody

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there Feb 13th as well. So excited! Good Luck everyone!

So I'm assuming that if you haven't received an email yet, you're not going to get an interview? :(

Does anybody know if the interview questions will be roughly the same as before or are they changing the format of the interview questions this year?

congratulations to all of you who got interviews! I wish you guys the best!

Interview invites are supposed to go out 1/22, I believe, so yes, it's about a week before the first interview date. And these are interview invites for everyone who will get an interview for UT, regardless of which interview date they receive.

Congratulations to all who received interview invites! Remember, it's not over just becaust you got an invite so spend this first part of the semester prepping. I will be helping out with the Sat interviews this semester, so I will see many of y'all soon. Best of luck to everyone! :D

Just wondering what would be the best thing to wear to the interview next week. My husband and I are going back and forth on what he should wear. Suit, slacks, tie and jacket, slacks and jacket(no tie)? Anyway, just wanting to make a really good impression. UT is his first choice plus his first interview!~ Thanks.

Just wondering what would be the best thing to wear to the interview next week. My husband and I are going back and forth on what he should wear. Suit, slacks, tie and jacket, slacks and jacket(no tie)? Anyway, just wanting to make a really good impression. UT is his first choice plus his first interview!~ Thanks.

Suit with slacks, jacket, and tie. As a side note, I think it is really great that you are supporting your husband while he goes to school. He will need your support over the next 4 years of pharmacy school.

Does anyone know the ratio of interview invites to available spots? I'd like to have a rough idea of my chances.

Also, how much is the interview weighed against our app and stats? I looked through the UT thread from last year and there was some confusion about that.

Last edited:
Do anyone know the ratio of interview invites to available spots? I'd like to have a rough idea of my chances.

Also, how much is the interview weighed against our app and stats? I looked through the UT thread from last year and there was some confusion about that.

I would like to know as well for this year. :) I looked up the stats from last year and before: http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats.html. UT's admission statistics are very detailed.

From 2009's incoming class stats, 125 students enrolled into the program. I know that 20-30 spots are taken up by UTEP students. So that's roughly, 95-105 spots for students from other universities.

Students who do go to UT COP, please feel free to correct me. I'm just going by what my friends/research from sites are saying.

I am also curious about readmitted pharmacy students (Those who have failed a class and must repeat a year. From the past 4 years or so, there are no students who have readmitted. So does that mean no one had to repeat or was held back?

Last edited:
Does anyone know the ratio of interview invites to available spots? I'd like to have a rough idea of my chances.

I think last year it was roughly 250 interviews for the 125 spots. Yea some of these will be the co-op kids from El Paso and the Valley.

Yes, suit with nice shirt and tie. But if they would have asked me to wear a ballerina suit for admission I would have done it let me tell you

I am also curious about readmitted pharmacy students (Those who have failed a class and must repeat a year. From the past 4 years or so, there are no students who have readmitted. So does that mean no one had to repeat or was held back?

By 'readmitted' they mean those who have quit the program and got back in. So by that being said, no one who quit or took a break from the program was let back in. On another note, I'm sure that one of the P1s can give you an estimate of how many students failed and had to repeat some of the classes.

By 'readmitted' they mean those who have quit the program and got back in. So by that being said, no one who quit or took a break from the program was let back in. On another note, I'm sure that one of the P1s can give you an estimate of how many students failed and had to repeat some of the classes.

UT obviously doesnt look highly on failing a class. We have a handful of people that were held back a year because of a failing grade in a class. Reason being is that many classes (I guess if not all) are pre-requisites for the following semester's class or whatever. Like our physical chemistry class is a pre-req for kinetics...so failing pchem wouldn't allow you to go onto kinetics until you passed it. I don't know the exact policy (and I hope I never do), but if you fail multiple classes or multiple times, it's definitely not a good thing.

I don't know of anyone myself that quit the program then got back in.

Honestly I wouldnt stress about this...I wore slacks, shirt and tie without a jacket and still got accepted. Don't let anyone tell you you have to wear a nice suit :) Look professional is the key!

I was at a meeting for this upcoming interview weekend (I will be in the hospitality room) and Dr. Wilcox said there would be around 255 interview invites? I cant recall exactly but its definitely in the ballpark of 250.

Interviews are extremely important, in fact, it was emphasized that no one gets accepted without a good interview.

At UT, you can get one F in a course and not be dismissed from the college. However, you have to repeat the course with a passing grade to move on, which would delay your graduation for a year ultimately.
You can get one D and not have to repeat, the choice is yours, but if you get a second D or F then you're subject to scholastic dismissal.

Does anybody know if the interview questions will be roughly the same as before or are they changing the format of the interview questions this year?

You can say that they are roughly the same...however the interviewers will have a lot more options for questions to ask. Therefore, if your answer to a question seems rehearsed and memorized, then they can easily do a follow-up question! So the format is the same...just more for the interviewer to choose from.

So I'm assuming that if you haven't received an email yet, you're not going to get an interview? :(

I would think so...but email Dr. Wilcox to make sure. He's really nice about it and gets back to you fairly quickly. If you unfortunately was not offered an interview, you can always talk to Dr. Wilcox about what you're lacking and how you can improve for next year. Good luck though!

I think last year it was roughly 250 interviews for the 125 spots. Yea some of these will be the co-op kids from El Paso and the Valley.

Looks like the statistics website shows that 153 got accepted, and only 125 enrolled. Anyone know if it's better to take the early interview dates? And does anyone know if anything on my application matters anymore at this point, or is it all on the interview now?

Last edited:
Looks like the statistics website shows that 153 got accepted, and only 125 enrolled. Anyone know if it's better to take the early interview dates? And does anyone know if anything on my application matters anymore at this point, or is it all on the interview now?

It's probably 80% interview 20% application

The interviewers only have the essays you wrote as part of the application process. "Why UT?" and "Why Pharmacy?"

I just wanted to drop a line and let you know that I enjoyed meeting some of you today. Best of luck to everyone!

Hey guys! I just wanted to say it was wonderful to get to meet so many of you yesterday and today! I loved that it was like a party in the hospitality room~Good times already! :)

For those of you coming to interview in February, please, don't hesitate to ask us anything you want to know. We are really excited to meet you and talk about the College of Pharmacy! Good luck and see you in a few weeks!

Hook 'Em! :horns:

Hello everyone!! I have an interview scheduled on Saturday, 2/13. Do you know how long will the interview take? Mine is at 11:30am , what is the time i should be at the school? Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone!! I have an interview scheduled on Saturday, 2/13. Do you know how long will the interview take? Mine is at 11:30am , what is the time i should be at the school? Thanks a lot.
Hey 2014, unless they changed it from 2 years ago (which I doubt), you picked an interview slot in between 10am and 5pm. While the rest of the group will be touring the building, you and a couple others will be at y'all's interviews (face to face with a faculty member and a student interviewer) at your designated time-slot. So, being there before the first interview is good.

Again, not sure what's changed since 2 years ago.

15 to 30 minutes before your interview would be good. When you arrive you will need to sign in and pick up your name tag and interview folder. The tour will be either 30 minutes or an hour after your interview and the Q&A session is after the tour. Plan to be on campus for about 3 hours, maybe a little less. :)

15 to 30 minutes before your interview would be good. When you arrive you will need to sign in and pick up your name tag and interview folder. The tour will be either 30 minutes or an hour after your interview and the Q&A session is after the tour. Plan to be on campus for about 3 hours, maybe a little less. :)

Thanks Rcoriakin for your answers. Do you know which characteristics of an applicant is UT Austin COP looking for ? How are PCAT, GPA, interview weighted in the admission process? Btw, i am a 2 year student from out of state, so i dont know how many students of your class are from other states ? And How many out-of state students who have been invited for an interview are there? Thanks in advance.

Hey 2014, unless they changed it from 2 years ago (which I doubt), you picked an interview slot in between 10am and 5pm. While the rest of the group will be touring the building, you and a couple others will be at y'all's interviews (face to face with a faculty member and a student interviewer) at your designated time-slot. So, being there before the first interview is good.

Again, not sure what's changed since 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much. I noticed that you already had an interview with the school lately. How have your interview gone so far? How many questions did they ask you? And how long was your interview? Hope that you did well :thumbup:.

Since it's not on rolling admissions anymore, does anyone know if it matters if I schedule for earlier dates or later dates? I'm hoping I have a better chance of getting in for scheduling for the first round.

Since it's not on rolling admissions anymore, does anyone know if it matters if I schedule for earlier dates or later dates? I'm hoping I have a better chance of getting in for scheduling for the first round.

It wouldn't increase your chance...like you said UT is no longer doing the rolling admissions. The committee will review all the interviewed applicants sometime in March!

do they do drug tests in the interviews? :s
i might have had some brownies

Just got back from the 01/30th interview! Thank you to all the wonderful P1s that I was able to meet and interact with in the hospitality room. You all were very kind and made the entire interview process enjoyable!

I just wanted to ask if anyone know what's the chance of getting residency for TX? Would you be able to apply after your 1st year?

Thanks in advance! :D

Did they end up giving out more than 250 interviews? When I had my interview this past weekend they said they gave out 250 or so, but I just spoke with someone who said they were given an interview yesterday. Hopefully that is part of the original number?

Just got back from the 01/30th interview! Thank you to all the wonderful P1s that I was able to meet and interact with in the hospitality room. You all were very kind and made the entire interview process enjoyable!

I just wanted to ask if anyone know what's the chance of getting residency for TX? Would you be able to apply after your 1st year?

Thanks in advance! :D

You cannot apply for residencies until your P4 year, because you cannot start your residency until you complete all 4 years of pharmacy school.