UT Dallas Certificate in Biomedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
edited for my own stupidity ;-)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It was, but I had no choice. I was fairly successful and am fortunate to have my first interview at Baylor in october :D

how did you find the program. do you believe that it was helpful. are you a texas resident. is the program very competitive to get into. i was under the impression that you just needed to be accepted into the school and once you were accepted you were automatically in the program. also if will taking the MCATs boost my application. Thanks

Hello everyone! I started my second year here and just wanted to give some feedback on the program.

Negatives:
* I am an OOS student and the tuition is pretty steep. The first year, I didn't work, and lived off of savings. Unfortunately, financial aid does not cover a semesters expense entirely, so it definitely is not nice on your wallet.
* Like many have mentioned UTD is not a very social school. Post baccs usually stick to each other, which is expected considering the age difference compared to undergrads; but many have responsibilities such as family and work, so socializing is not a priority.

Positives:
* UTD is a very good school. Most students are very dedicated and spent a lot of time studying. Classes are challenging, but if you have your head on straight and put the time into it, it is definitely doable.
* The advising staff is amazing. Especially with us post baccs, who have a lot more to worry about and usually have some baggage (read low UG GPA's), they make sure to give you perspective and advise on what to expect. Dr. Wright is a great resource. He has worked at UT Southwestern as the Director of Admissions and definitely knows what it takes to get into medical school.
* UTD has an informal agreement with several schools in Texas. If you get a certain GPA during your post bacc and have a competitive MCAT score, you will get a guaranteed interview. They are in the process of finalizing these agreements, but students applying this cycle have already benefited from it.
* The post bacc pre-health society is a great resource, often overlooked by post bacc's. The contacts you make during their meetings are invaluable. You meet other students that are in similar situations and get opportunities for volunteer events, jobs etc. They also have different professional schools come in to discuss what is expected from pre-health students as well as introduce their school.

Overall, UTD was definitely the right choice for me. I wasn't aware of some of the benefits when I applied (I was the first class of the formalized program,) but I am definitely not complaining about it :D
PM me if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Muenchen for the info. Does anyone know what's the average GPA for admitted students?

I am applying for this program for the fall 2011 admission. I was wondering how competitive this program is. I will be applying with about a 3.1 gpa with a 3.7 in the last 60 credit hours, along with a 28S MCAT. Do I have a decent shot?

Thanks.

what is the average gpa of students accepted into the program???

Has any body submitted the application for fall 2011? I was wondering about how long will it take to get a response of acceptance/rejection from the program?

Has any body submitted the application for fall 2011? I was wondering about how long will it take to get a response of acceptance/rejection from the program?

I'm just waiting for my official MCAT score from Jan-- Will be submitting Fall 2011 app early March

So I applied to this program early March for fall 2011 admission but I haven't heard anything yet..

When do applicants usually hear back? Is it through email or mail?

And should I be worried? =/

Thanks!

I am in the same situation. I completed my application late February. I emailed the admissions-status email address given on their website, and I was told that they were still some weeks away from making final decisions. This was probably around the beginning of the month, so I would expect that we should hear back pretty soon.

Hey all,

I sent an email to one of the advisors there and he commented that the admissions decision will come at the end of May. Good luck to all!

I just completed application. I met with Dr. Wright about a week ago. He said they won't be even looking at apps for another two weeks. At that point they sort into 3 stacks: obvious yes, obvious no, and maybe. The first two stacks are small and I suppose they would notify you if you were in one of those two stacks. The last stack is gone over more thoroughly over the course of the next month. He also said that they may be reducing their acceptances because of cuts to state funding.

Man, I was hoping to hear back sooner...:(

So how exactly do they filter out apps? Besides a requirement of a bachelor's degree and min. 2.5 GPA, what is the basis for "obvious yes", "obvious no" and "maybe"..??

Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a guess based on the conversation:

Obvious yes=
1. A highly successful person with great stats in another degree who is lacking prereqs.
2. Anybody who an ADCOM would say "This would be a slam dunk candidate if only they had ... (fill in the blank with any of a number of things that CBS provides)"

Obvious no=
Anybody who demonstrates a lack of knowledge and/or passion about the whole process of medical school.

Maybe=
Everybody else.
As stated this is the largest pile because there aren't that many slam dunks or idiots applying.

Anyone hear anything yet? I really thought we'd hear back sooner. Anyone around who applied last year? If so, when did you finally hear back?

This waiting game is getting old. I'm hoping we'll know by this time next week.

Sound off if your waiting to hear back. (hopefully this week)

also waiting...

I didn't find this program until the day after the supp app deadline for the fall. Guess I have to wait until next summer. I'll still be taking classes so I'm sure I'll see some of you guys around.

You should be able to apply for the Spring..they take admission every semester :)

Just called in. Decisions are made by the end of today. Notifications by the end of next week.:(
The waits not over.

agreed, it's going to be a long week..

i do have a friend who applied who's applicant center showed a different status than mine. mine says that my app is under review whereas his says "program change" so we're thinking that it may be talking about his backup option though hoping it's just some weird system miscoding.

ultimately i guess we'll wait for the letter or email..

So I logged on the website this morning, and there was a green check mark under the student center with a link to accept/decline admission. I am hoping this means I got in. Anyone else see the same thing?

So I logged on the website this morning, and there was a green check mark under the student center with a link to accept/decline admission. I am hoping this means I got in. Anyone else see the same thing?

Congratulations. I would say you are in. I found a denial in the same local. I have schedule conflicts with work that they were apparently unable to overlook. Best of luck.

i still have a green circle..

Does anybody know if they're going to email us if we're rejected/accepted?
Anybody got accepted or rejected yet?
Are we supposed to know the decision by today?

Does anybody know if they're going to email us if we're rejected/accepted?
Anybody got accepted or rejected yet?
Are we supposed to know the decision by today?

I still haven't gotten an email, but I found out Tuesday that I didn't make it. I found out yesterday that due to state budget cuts, they took only 30 out of 197 applicants. I believe the number used to be 60.

I still haven't gotten an email, but I found out Tuesday that I didn't make it. I found out yesterday that due to state budget cuts, they took only 30 out of 197 applicants. I believe the number used to be 60.

How'd you find out? Did you check your application status? All mine says is "complete."

Do you know if everybody suppose to know by last Tuesday?

How'd you find out? Did you check your application status? All mine says is "complete."

Do you know if everybody suppose to know by last Tuesday?

Yes, it should say under your application status. But maybe you should call because mine never said complete it just went from program change to accept or decline.

My status wasn't updated right away. It also said complete so I called in and they were able to tell me my status. I also have not received an email....best to call I think. :)

My status wasn't updated right away. It also said complete so I called in and they were able to tell me my status. I also have not received an email....best to call I think. :)

I called them 2 weeks ago and they said they're still reviewing applicants (300+). Has anyone got a rejection e-mail or know that they got rejected in the last two weeks?

I called them 2 weeks ago and they said they're still reviewing applicants (300+). Has anyone got a rejection e-mail or know that they got rejected in the last two weeks?

I finally got official rejection by snail mail Friday. Never got an email.

Has anyone else gotten accepted? Anyone that has done it can you please give some advice as did it help you get into medical school? I am still thinkign about accpeting the offer thank you!!

Has anyone else gotten accepted? Anyone that has done it can you please give some advice as did it help you get into medical school? I am still thinkign about accpeting the offer thank you!!

I got accepted too and like you I am still trying to figure out if this is the best program for me. Have you gotten any information on the success stats? Hopefully, I can figure it out soon do not want to wait too long.

Yeah same here but I think I will go ahead and do it tommorow I have a meeting with the advisor and see what he tells me but I am 80% I am going to do it. I will let you know if I find something out as well!

Yeah same here but I think I will go ahead and do it tommorow I have a meeting with the advisor and see what he tells me but I am 80% I am going to do it. I will let you know if I find something out as well!

Hey,

yes! please i would really appreciate the information.

For all those who got accepted:

Have you heard anything about registering for classes? Do they set aside a number of seats in the more popular classes for post-bac students? I'm just curious because it seems that acceptances into the program came relatively late this year and maybe the classes are filled up?

What were your stats? Just curious

3.14 10 yr old mcat 33. Don't need prereq's, just trying to raise gpa and get back in the swing of things.

It's easy to see if your classes are filled up if you go to the main website and go to course lookup.

To those of you who have been accepted, where are you planning to live? I'm not sure if I should try to find an off-campus apartment or if I should stay on campus.

Hello I have no clue where I am going to live I dont think I will be leaving on campus thats for sure. Are you from the dallas area I dont know where to start looking or what is relatively close to the university. Also have you gotten your classes? Anyone else attending the postbac?

To those of you who have been accepted, where are you planning to live? I'm not sure if I should try to find an off-campus apartment or if I should stay on campus.

No, I live ~7 hours away from Dallas. I found a list of close off-campus apartments on the website: http://www.utdallas.edu/student/international/new/documents/Apartment_Flyer_6-11-2010_REVISED.pdf

I haven't registered for classes yet either, I left a message with the number given on the acceptance letter, but my calls haven't been returned yet.

I have a hold on my account preventing me from registering online, I hope they are willing to bend on that because I can't drive up to Dallas for a couple weeks and I'm worried about certain classes filling up. Anyone know if they absolutely require us post-baccs to register in person?

I am excatly 7 hours away from dallas too, Where are you from? Also I had the same trouble as you but when you call ask to speak with an advisor or tell the lady you want to set up an apointment for advising over the phone. That is exactly how I did mine and I called and I did it over the phone with scott robinson at the time I had my appointment. Also hurry because I was a bit dissapointed not many classes were left but today the neuroanatomy just got opened again in case you are intrested call again today and ask for someone. Thanks for the apartment listing because I wont be able to drive up either until late July :S!

No, I live ~7 hours away from Dallas. I found a list of close off-campus apartments on the website: http://www.utdallas.edu/student/international/new/documents/Apartment_Flyer_6-11-2010_REVISED.pdf

I haven't registered for classes yet either, I left a message with the number given on the acceptance letter, but my calls haven't been returned yet.

I have a hold on my account preventing me from registering online, I hope they are willing to bend on that because I can't drive up to Dallas for a couple weeks and I'm worried about certain classes filling up. Anyone know if they absolutely require us post-baccs to register in person?

That's a relief to know that we can do it over the phone. I think I'll give them another call now. I am from Corpus Christi by the way.

Has anyone done their schedule for this upcoming semester and also is anyone else attending this postbaccc? does anyone know someone that has done this postbacc or has anyone done it that has gotten in medical school? thanks

Hey, I'm attending this upcoming semester and I did register for courses. I'm taking Orgo, Behavioral Neuroscience, Bio, and another required course. I am originally from the DFW area so if you have questions feel free to ask..Maybe I'll create a Facebook page...might be easier to network.

Hey thats really good to know :) I will have you for 2 classes then well it depends what time you will have behavioral bc I have it in the afternoons and I am taking neuroanatomy, behavioral nsc, prehealth (if thats the one your refering too) and medical micro. Thats good to know you are from the area I have never been to Dallas :s lol and yes that would be good a fb group just let me know!!

Hey, I'm attending this upcoming semester and I did register for courses. I'm taking Orgo, Behavioral Neuroscience, Bio, and another required course. I am originally from the DFW area so if you have questions feel free to ask..Maybe I'll create a Facebook page...might be easier to network.

Hey, I created a FB group called UT Dallas Biomedical Certificate Program Fall 2011. Hopefully you can find it and then we can chat more about classes/Dallas etc. I signed up for the August orientation. Did you?