UT Dallas Certificate in Biomedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting program. UTD is a good school.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting program. UTD is a good school.

I've been accepted and have 14 hrs for the fall. I am taking Medical Micro, Neuro/Hemato Diseases, Microbial Physiology, a genetics class and the Pre-health professional development course. They are accepting my job at Children's as part of my clinical hours but would like me to do more in other settings. There is a Medical Neuroscience class but it was full. The course is taught by an MD and it a med school type class.
The med school that I interviewed with last November said that doing this certificate program would be the same to them as an SMP. They were more interested in 2 full semesters of upper science courses.

when did you apply to the program? I was just wondering how long it took you to hear back. Also, did they email you to let you know you got in?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
when did you apply to the program? I was just wondering how long it took you to hear back. Also, did they email you to let you know you got in?

Thanks!

I initially applied in late March. After a few problems with a transcript, I found out via email I got in in mid May. Make sure that the transcript from the school your degree is from has the date on it. That was the hold up with me. After an email from Dr Wright asking for a personal statement, I got the email that I was in.

Oh god, I just found out about this post bac program and it sounds perfect for me. However, I was wondering if it is too late to apply for admission for the fall. I know the deadline is July 1, but if I submit my application before then am I ok? Or will all the time it takes for my application to be process make my application too late?

You can always email them and ask. Maybe just being in the process will be ok as far as the July deadline.

I thought it was cool that they offered several workshops throughout the year for interviewing and the application process and also personal statement writing. Their stats for medical school acceptance seems to be decent too. The school has an agreement with the local public transportation that allows them to offer all students, faculty and staff with free annual gold DART passes. This allows access to any of the light rail and buses in both the Dallas and Ft Worth systems. There is a special UTDallas shuttle between a couple of the light rail stops and campus.

I just hope the construction on campus dies down before the fall semester. :laugh: It's a pain to move around campus right now.

You can always email them and ask. Maybe just being in the process will be ok as far as the July deadline.

I thought it was cool that they offered several workshops throughout the year for interviewing and the application process and also personal statement writing. Their stats for medical school acceptance seems to be decent too. The school has an agreement with the local public transportation that allows them to offer all students, faculty and staff with free annual gold DART passes. This allows access to any of the light rail and buses in both the Dallas and Ft Worth systems. There is a special UTDallas shuttle between a couple of the light rail stops and campus.

I just hope the construction on campus dies down before the fall semester. :laugh: It's a pain to move around campus right now.

Congrats! I got in too. Havent registered yet as I am waiting to get advised before I do regsiter. What sucks is that the classes I wanted to take:

A&P I
Med. Neuro
Med. Micro

all got full. Hoping ppl will drop!!:xf:

So you plan on living on campus? I was looking around and noticed there aren't any cheap furnished housing by UTD. Infact most are by TWU/UNT...

This is my current Dilemma. Currently, Im hoping to reside at the forum at denton station. I dont mind the drive b/c these are cheap, furnished and super nice!

To everyone accepted,

I just have a few questions to ask about the Cert. In Biomed. Sciences. When did you apply to the program? I just wanted to know how long it takes to hear back about your status. I know its the program's first year, do you know if the program has a good rep? Also, appox. how many students are going to participate in the program? Lastly, do you plan on living on campus in student housing? or are you getting an apartment off campus? I just wanted to know the price of housing at UT Dallas considering I may be coming from out of state.

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!

Other than submitting your application online with your personal statement and sending in your official transcript, is there anything else you need to do? Do you have to send them SAT scores?

Ugh. I just found out I need to send them my high school transcript and sat scores....I hope I can get my high school and the sat company to send the scores asap...which is by july 1

Thats odd.. they never told me I needed to send SAT or highschool transcripts..

I just completed my application 4 days ago with transcripts

I sent an application at the end of may etc.

I applied and at first they mentioned my High School Transcripts and SAT scores, but after I emailed them, they disappeared from my "To Do" tab online.

Also you have until Aug. 1st to submit the documentation as long as you submitted the application already.

So I'll be attending in the fall, to those who were accepted, where are you guys living? The school apartments didn't look too bad but I didn't like the fact that they were out of singles.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I own a house south of the Trinity River in Dallas. There are tons of apts in the area and the bus system runs all over. UTD offers annual free passes for students.

So I will be starting the program in the Fall. Yeay! :D

Any of you enrolling for pre-reqs? Seems like most people on here are taking the upper division classes...

So I will be starting the program in the Fall. Yeay! :D

Any of you enrolling for pre-reqs? Seems like most people on here are taking the upper division classes...

Congrats! My application just went complete and I am hoping to hear back soon, as I must make plans to move to Dallas and register for classes....I obviously haven't enrolled for pre-reqs yet, but I just hope all the classes I would need to take are not over-enrolled already. Muenchen, if I get in I will be starting from scratch.

For those of you who have been accepted, how were you notified? I just looked at my application status and it says I was accepted. Does this mean that I got into the program? If so, are we supposed to contact someone to get advice on registration, or are you supposed to just do your own thing and register for the classes you want to take.

For those of you who have been accepted, how were you notified? I just looked at my application status and it says I was accepted. Does this mean that I got into the program? If so, are we supposed to contact someone to get advice on registration, or are you supposed to just do your own thing and register for the classes you want to take.

Yes it should. You need to accept the admission in order to be able to register. (It takes about a day for them to process your acceptance)
They usually require you to meet with an advisor in person to register for your classes, but might make an exception since you aren't in town yet. I was able to register for classes that did not need a prerequisite such as Gen Chem, but needed an advisor to sign off on Biology etc.

Congratulations and see you in class :xf:

Just an FYI- if your travel to the Bursar's office to pay. They don't take CC for tuition at the office, check or cash only. If you pay by CC via the computer they charge a 1.9% fee. Best bet is an electronic check if paying online- it's free.

The bookstores (on and off campus) are getting ready for the fall so books aren't yet available.

Construction is still very active on campus.

So For those of you alll coming to the school outside of dallas,

Where are ya'll going to be living? ( If it's a reasonable price and location)

furthermore, I have a feeling that I can do well in this program....
But, do ya'll think this will really help us get into medschool?

I have near a 3.1 like some of you... But 24 hours at most could just help us raise it to like a 3.3-3.4?

I am skeptical that Medschools would think this is so great? ( UT galveston told me that they had 3,800 applicants and the ones they accept are outstanding).. I just figured the MCAT could only help us now..

UT galveston told me to apply to this program, I'm in and I have Biochem, Behavioral Neurology, Neuro Anatomy, and Anatomy and P this coming semester. Granted I'm predent now and will be focusing on that route. I'm living in Carrollton at Mustang Park. I met with Dr. Wright and have been talking with him for a while. I''m very excited about the program.... only problem I have now is finding work :/

I am also enrolled! Hope to meet some of you guys/girls there this fall.

For those of you who have already registered for classes, when you scheduled a meeting with an advisor to register, did you go the Health Professions Advising Center in the Johnson Building for the meeting?

For those of you who have already registered for classes, when you scheduled a meeting with an advisor to register, did you go the Health Professions Advising Center in the Johnson Building for the meeting?

just email dr. wright. he will tell you all you need to know.

Where is everyone living? The campus apartments are all full for the semester. Any recommendations from Dallas residents?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at post-bac programs for next fall, and stumbled across the UT-Dallas postbac program. So far, I've been considering the Tufts and Harvard programs. I have not taken any of the prereqs, and have a somewhat low, but repairable GPA (probably between 3.2 and 3.3 after graduation from a top university). My guess is that I might need to take a few upper level classes just to have more undergrad grades to offset, and I like that this program seems to make integrating a few upper-level classes a streamlined process.

A few questions:
1) Does anyone currently in the program have any comments as to the quality of classes, advising, etc?
2) Does anyone know how tuition works for out-of-state residents? Is there any way to get a tuition waiver to pay in-state tuition? If not, assuming the program would take two years, can you become in-state for the second year? (and would that be enough to be considered in-state for Texas med schools?)
3) Is it easy to find housing, perhaps with people in the program? Is it easy to meet other post-bac students - is there a cohesive post-bac community?

Thanks!

I think with you not having taken the prereqs, HES makes a lot of sense if you want sponsorship. This program seems amazing fir record enhancer, tho!

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at post-bac programs for next fall, and stumbled across the UT-Dallas postbac program. So far, I've been considering the Tufts and Harvard programs. I have not taken any of the prereqs, and have a somewhat low, but repairable GPA (probably between 3.2 and 3.3 after graduation from a top university). My guess is that I might need to take a few upper level classes just to have more undergrad grades to offset, and I like that this program seems to make integrating a few upper-level classes a streamlined process.

A few questions:
1) Does anyone currently in the program have any comments as to the quality of classes, advising, etc?
2) Does anyone know how tuition works for out-of-state residents? Is there any way to get a tuition waiver to pay in-state tuition? If not, assuming the program would take two years, can you become in-state for the second year? (and would that be enough to be considered in-state for Texas med schools?)
3) Is it easy to find housing, perhaps with people in the program? Is it easy to meet other post-bac students - is there a cohesive post-bac community?

Thanks!

I have a few questions to those in the UTD program right now.

1) How are the classes? I'm not asking if they're "easy A's," but if A's are realistically possible.

2) If you choose not to do the certificate option and do a transfer-second bachelors instead, can you still get a committee letter when applying to med school?

3) If you do the second-bachelors, are you free to choose any class you'd like? I know the certificate program is limited to biomedical sciences, but I'd like to take some advanced chemistry classes like physical chemistry and quantitative analysis.

4) What are the registration priorities? Do post-bacc's get early picks, particularly second bachelors (since they have more credits than seniors?)

5) Lastly, what is parking like at UTD?

I have a few questions to those in the UTD program right now.

1) How are the classes? I'm not asking if they're "easy A's," but if A's are realistically possible.

2) If you choose not to do the certificate option and do a transfer-second bachelors instead, can you still get a committee letter when applying to med school?

3) If you do the second-bachelors, are you free to choose any class you'd like? I know the certificate program is limited to biomedical sciences, but I'd like to take some advanced chemistry classes like physical chemistry and quantitative analysis.

4) What are the registration priorities? Do post-bacc's get early picks, particularly second bachelors (since they have more credits than seniors?)

5) Lastly, what is parking like at UTD?

1 - The classes at UTD are very doable. Not super easy but if you study, you will do well.

2 - I would opt for the certificate programs as there will be some perks. UTD is still working on finalizing agreements with Texas medical and dental schools. So far, it looks like if you manage a 3.7 or higher in 30hrs of course work with a 30 on your MCAT you will get automatic interviews at ALL the Texas medical school. It is 3.7 and a 19 on the DAT for interviews at Texas dental school. I dont know all the details yet as nothing has been official yet, but I have heard UTD is close to finalizing the agreements....

3 - Not sure

4 - Cert. students do have some priority. I think we choose classes at the same time as seniors.

5 - Parking at UTD is a mixed bag for me. Finding parking isnt so bad but leaving the parking lot is horrible.

Is this program fairly competitive to get in to? I only ask because I just found out about it recently and am applying right now. Do I have a good chance of being rejected?

Also, does anyone know if there are good research opportunities available through the school?

I was in the Program last semester and after receiving my acceptance to dschool I decided not to go back due to extra expenses, commuting, and I was also done with all my requirements for dschool. I took a neuroscience, ochem II, and Biochem II class. I would say that UTD is not a very social school, everybody is focused on classes. The classes are basically undergrad usually upper lever science courses.
The UTD Postbac program is fairly easy to get into, all u have to do is get accepted into UTD. It is a Great resource if you want to show dental schools that you are willing to improve your GPA. It is especially great for ppl who live in Dallas.
During my Baylor interview, almost all the interviewers asked about the UTD program, and were impressed that I decided to do it. Its a very new program, so they all asked me about it, which was great to have something to talk about during my interview.
Of course the Baylor PostBac program is a lot better to increase you chances of getting into that school, but they only accept a limited # of ppl. The UTD program is a great alternative and any school will be happy to see that you are taking part in any postbac program.

As for parking at UTD... there are a lot of commuters so they do have plenty of parking in certain parts of the campus. You have to buy a parking pass and the price depends on what color you get. Either Gold which is closer to the buildings or green which is farther but plentiful. I always parked in the green but I had a longer walk. Make sure you get there earlier bcuz it might be hard to find a spot esp during the 1st weeks.

UTD also has good research opts.
PM if you have any questions, I will try to help.

Anyone in the program:

How did UTD Financial Aid work out?

I'm wondering (more like hoping) if this program allow us to claim 'independent' status on FAFSA. If it were a master's degree it would...

I cannot find the deadline anywhere on the website (maybe I'm overlooking it). Can anyone tell me this?

I cannot find the deadline anywhere on the website (maybe I'm overlooking it). Can anyone tell me this?

I think the deadline is July 1st without a late fee. Or August 1st with a late fee. The link is: http://www.utdallas.edu/enroll/apply/fees.php.

I have some questions for anyone who already completed the program. Have you found the HPAC at the school helpful? Do you feel part of the university community? Have you had time to work at all while trying to complete the program in 1 year? Thanks :)

Has anyone decided to attend the program starting this upcoming fall 2010 semester. What classes do you plan on taking and how is there any good off-campus apartments located near campus?:)

Does anyone know if the supplemental application is due before the July 1st deadline? I haven't applied yet, so I'm trying to decide if there is still enough time to try to get a spot for 2010-2011!

The email I received from the program says that all documentation must be in by July 16th and the deadline to apply is July 1st. There isn't a cut-off on how many they accept if I'm not mistaken just as long as you get everything in on time. Hope that helps!!

Thanks, that definitely helps! Crossing my fingers that all of my documentation will be in on time! Can I ask you what stats you got in with?

Hi,

If anyone here has been accepted, and/or knows for sure they will be going if they get in...are you looking for roommates?

P.S. I'm a girl.

Hi,

I was recently accepted into the program, but still haven't committed to UTD (still waiting on several other program's to make their decisions). I should be making my decision within the next few weeks. As a California resident, I am somewhat apprehensive about moving to Texas and not too sure how difficult it will be to find a place to live in for the duration of the program. I think it would be cool to live with someone who is also in the program. If anyone has any information that would make my decision easier and/or is looking for a roommate please let me know.

Hi,

I was recently accepted into the program, but still haven't committed to UTD (still waiting on several other program's to make their decisions). I should be making my decision within the next few weeks. As a California resident, I am somewhat apprehensive about moving to Texas and not too sure how difficult it will be to find a place to live in for the duration of the program. I think it would be cool to live with someone who is also in the program. If anyone has any information that would make my decision easier and/or is looking for a roommate please let me know.

There are tons of good places in Dallas to live. You won't have a prblem on that front. If you can get Texas residency I'd say go for it as Texas peeps fa good admissions odds.
:thumbup:

Thanks! I also got into the Master's in Biomedical Sciences at Barry University, but I'm leaning towards the UTD program. I'm thinking of keeping my California residency so I don't burn myself in the long run when applying to California medical schools.

There are tons of good places in Dallas to live. You won't have a prblem on that front. If you can get Texas residency I'd say go for it as Texas peeps fa good admissions odds.
:thumbup:

Jirotrom,

Working while taking all of those courses will be a huge challenge you may want to reconsider that choice if possible.

UT galveston told me to apply to this program, I'm in and I have Biochem, Behavioral Neurology, Neuro Anatomy, and Anatomy and P this coming semester. Granted I'm predent now and will be focusing on that route. I'm living in Carrollton at Mustang Park. I met with Dr. Wright and have been talking with him for a while. I''m very excited about the program.... only problem I have now is finding work :/

Okay, I have 2 questions:

1. If I shouldn't work while being in the UTD post-bacc program, then how am I supposed to live in the Dallas area for 1 year? Will FAFSA help me out completely?

2. I have 1 more year of undergrad left and then I graduate, but I still have to take a few dental school prereqs, being...Biochemistry and Physics 1 and 2.
Should I not take these courses at my current undergrad, but instead just take them in the UTD post-bacc program?

Okay, I have 2 questions:

1. If I shouldn't work while being in the UTD post-bacc program, then how am I supposed to live in the Dallas area for 1 year? Will FAFSA help me out completely?

2. I have 1 more year of undergrad left and then I graduate, but I still have to take a few dental school prereqs, being...Biochemistry and Physics 1 and 2.
Should I not take these courses at my current undergrad, but instead just take them in the UTD post-bacc program?

I agree, what are some places where one would be able to find work with relative ease?

Now that I've made my decision to attend UTD for sure, is anyone in need of a roommate for the fall? If so, please let me know asap. I'm currently looking for places in the area and think it'd be cool to also live with someone in the program. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

I'd live with you if I was going to be in Dallas, oscarz. You seem swell!

I applied in april and finished the entire app and supplemental app by may. My GPA from the unversity of rochester was a 2.98. I took extra courses outside of the school with grades of :
Microbiology A
Anatomy A
Physiology A-
Nutrition B-
Spanish A-
Developmental Psych C
I've completed a number of courses but needed that GPA boost along with chem courses for med school. I'm a Texas resident and thought this was the best opportunity for me based on cost and location.
I waited for another 2 months after the applications was due, continually checking the app status and finally hearing 2 weeks ago that I was denied. Are my stats low for the program?

I applied in april and finished the entire app and supplemental app by may. My GPA from the unversity of rochester was a 2.98. I took extra courses outside of the school with grades of :
Microbiology A
Anatomy A
Physiology A-
Nutrition B-
Spanish A-
Developmental Psych C
I've completed a number of courses but needed that GPA boost along with chem courses for med school. I'm a Texas resident and thought this was the best opportunity for me based on cost and location.
I waited for another 2 months after the applications was due, continually checking the app status and finally hearing 2 weeks ago that I was denied. Are my stats low for the program?

Keep in mind that they only accepted 60 applicants this year out of a pool of over 200. I was rejected this year (3 for 3, whee) and I spoke to a program adviser. It sounds like you're on the cusp of being much more competitive for SMP's after a strong MCAT and a year of high post-bac grades. I wish I had spent more time strengthening my GPA and ahem, had an MCAT before applying to these programs.

EDIT: Make sure you call Scott Wright at admissions because he's very knowledgeable and honest. He'll be able to give you more suggestions for how to strengthen your app for either spring 2011 or fall 2011.

Last edited:
Jirotrom,

Working while taking all of those courses will be a huge challenge you may want to reconsider that choice if possible.
It was, but I had no choice. I was fairly successful and am fortunate to have my first interview at Baylor in october :D