UT Dallas Postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IowaGirl19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for any thoughts on the postbacc program (Certificate in Biomedical Sciences) at UT Dallas, it looks like a lot of the posts on this program are older. I did some research on their website, but does anyone have any recent experience with this program? I am a Texas resident and plan to apply to medical school in 2016 (All TX schools and OOS DO schools/a few MD schools). This program would allow me to take some upper level courses while finishing my organic chem/physics prereqs this year. Any experience/thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also interested to hear what people have to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear things like informal agreements between texas schools to guarantee interviews if you meet certain criteria during the program, who knows the kind of edge you get from attending this program. From my impression, it just seems like any other post-bacc programs out there with focus on undergrad level courses which to me seems better than doing a masters on some health science.

I was admitted a few days ago and my motivation for application was two reasons.
1) Re-gain texas residency before application as i had graduated from a texas highschool.
2) raise my GPA which is at 3.37 right now. Science gpa is about the same to cumulative.

I have not decided for sure, but im leaning towards attending for reason 1. Seems like if youre a texas resident and have a good profile, chances of getting into at least one of many texas MD schools are decent.

I'm still curious as to what the current students have to say about the program. I'm a little worried the program might not cater well to traditional students like me (BS in BME).

I emailed admissions and the adviser said there are not guaranteed interviews or agreements with dental schools - I had read that in other threads as well

Personally I'd avoid UTD like the plague. There are a million better established programs with actual linkages and I was never impressed with the biology/chemistry departments there.

They have a BS/MD type program with UTSW but don't let that lure you into thinking UTSW wants UTD's postbacc students.

Personally I'd avoid UTD like the plague. There are a million better established programs with actual linkages and I was never impressed with the biology/chemistry departments there.

They have a BS/MD type program with UTSW but don't let that lure you into thinking UTSW wants UTD's postbacc students.

Any particular reasons why UTD or the postbacc program is no good?

Their pre-health advisory committee is getting torched or rebuilt, so many students complained because they would strongly discourage people from applying to med schools or advise them to look into the caribbean with anything less than a stellar application. Also from my own experiences and research in SMP's, they're almost exclusively only worth it if they have a direct linkage with a school. That means the med school has a vested interest in taking their students, for anything outside of that you're just someone with a potentially ****ty uGPA a master's degree.

Thanks for the comments, lesterbarley. I'm just curious though- anybody out there who went through the program? What are your thoughts?

Both the ApplyTexas application and CBioMed supplement are in. Now twiddling my thumbs for 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the comments, lesterbarley. I'm just curious though- anybody out there who went through the program? What are your thoughts?

Hello! I just got accepted to this program! Waiting to hear back from other schools before I make a decision! Would love to hear thoughts on the program as well!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I just got accepted to this program! Waiting to hear back from other schools before I make a decision! Would love to hear thoughts on the program as well!
Congrats!! Best of luck with the other schools too!
The ut dallas program looks ideal for someone like me (graduated a while ago, need higher level pre-reqs and raise gpa, guidance from health professions committee, etc).
Would be nice to hear what people think of the program ( even if you didn't go through the program, what are some thoughts on UT Dallas pre med advising?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got admitted! 3.38 cGPA 3.1 sGPA, no MCAT yet. I intend to enroll in fall 2016. I have to accept or decline the offer by April 17.

curious what other programs did people apply to?
I also applied to WashU and Penn. Still waiting on decisions from them. They'd better get back to me before April 17 so I can decide lol.

I am looking at potentially attending UTD beginning in the fall, could anyone recommend any schools OUTSIDE UTD if there is a class or two that does not fit my schedule? Specifically need chem 2 and physics 2 this summer

I went to UTD for my post bacc, but I didn't enroll in that program.

An applicant's chances for getting medical school acceptance won't improve much if he/she completes the program, and they would be better off declaring a second major for financial aid eligibility. I think UTD put a stop on financial aid awards for people enrolled in this program, so I wouldn't recommend it.

On the other hand, I would recommend TCOM's medical masters program. Everyone I know who's enrolled in that program have either been accepted into medical school or at least got an interview.

Last edited by a moderator:

An applicant's chances for getting medical school acceptance won't improve much if he/she completes the program, and they would be better off declaring a second major for financial aid eligibility. I think UTD put a stop on financial aid awards for people enrolled in this program, so I wouldn't recommend it.

On the other hand, I would recommend TCOM's medical masters program. Everyone I know who's enrolled in that program have either been accepted into medical school or at least got an interview.
Hmm, that's too bad. I did not consider applying to UNT's SMP since I'm taking the MCAT past the application due date. I'm leaning toward WashU anyway; I like that working full-time can cover my tuition for evening classes over there, so I think that's where I'll end up next year.

Can anyone confirm this is true, that they don't offer any financial aid for this program?

if you have over 150 credits you can not get financial aid.
if you have less than 150 you can still qualify

Dtzero- financial aid awards aside, how was your experience with the health committee at UT Dallas? Specifically, were they helpful during the review process and compiling the committee letter?
Thanks for the feedback!

Dtzero- financial aid awards aside, how was your experience with the health committee at UT Dallas? Specifically, were they helpful during the review process and compiling the committee letter?
Thanks for the feedback!

Overall the department is helpful, but as far as optimizing your chances of getting a good letter, it depends on the adviser.

I had a really great one, so I knew in advance before applying that my letter was going to be great. She helped me tremendously, and in all honesty, I probably would've not got accepted anywhere had it not been for her assistance.

Some advisers are more blunt, straightforward, and will not sugarcoat anything to prospective applicants, especially if they aren't doing well in course work. I have heard stories of students walking out of an adviser's office in tears, but again, those advisers are just telling the truth.

My advice to you is this:

Think of your medical career at this point as a bad game of the original super mario bros. For some weird reason you lost all of your lives on world 1-1 (undergraduate), but you managed to find out where that 1-up mushroom was, so you have an extra life (post-bacc). Now you have to go through the entire game all the way to stage 8-4 without messing up or it's game over.

In other words, play your cards right at UTD: don't listen to what competitive peers have to say because they'll steer you in the wrong direction, build good relationships with professors and HPAC adviser, watch what you take and whom you take it with, and work your ass off like your life depends on it.

Can anyone confirm this is true, that they don't offer any financial aid for this program?

Trust me it's very true!

I wanted to do this program just like everyone else, but I think someone in the financial aid department told me I would not be eligible if I did. Also, you will not be eligible if you declare yourself as non-degree seeking. I originally did non-degree seeking my first year at UTD, and I had to pay for tuition out of pocket. It wasn't a fun experience.

Reactions: 1 user
@Dtzero So you were able to get decent help from an advisor despite not being in the specific certificate program?

@Dtzero So you were able to get decent help from an advisor despite not being in the specific certificate program?

Yes!

My adviser was impressed by the fact I was working a full time engineering job, doing extracurricular activities, and excelled academically each semester. Her words to me were "Damn, you straight killed it!"

I think that showed her my potential, and she provided me with a lot of resources.

Even if you take a second major to get financial aid, you don't have to finish it, and you are still considered a post-bacc student. I was doing biology as a second degree. I got about 60 credits into it and stopped.

I just got accepted too. I'm waiting to hear back from TCMC before I make a decision. Congrats

@Dtzero - Nice work, and congrats! I love the Mario analogy - it's a great way to put it. Which HPAC advisors from UT Dallas would you recommend, and do you get to choose? I'm looking to set up an appointment with one (am looking into UTD as one possible option for post bacc classes) and would love any tips you have as to which advisors you recommend working with if you're comfortable sharing.

@Dtzero - Nice work, and congrats! I love the Mario analogy - it's a great way to put it. Which HPAC advisors from UT Dallas would you recommend, and do you get to choose? I'm looking to set up an appointment with one (am looking into UTD as one possible option for post bacc classes) and would love any tips you have as to which advisors you recommend working with if you're comfortable sharing.

I would recommend my adviser, but I don't think she is around anymore. I didn't get to pick an advisor. You are assigned one.

If you have any additional questions just shoot me a PM.