UT Houston interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txdoc2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...anyone who has interviewed at UT HOUston...I have a question....
Do they provide a hotel for you? I have my interview on Friday and still haven't really heard anything about Th night except that there is a gathering the night before at 6 and details to follow. But really I was just wondering if they put you up in a hotel, and if so which one? I e-mailed the program, still waiting to hear back from them. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks...one more question...for anyone who has already interviewed there...
is there dinner or food of any sort at the "happy hour" I just need to know if I should eat before I go or not (don't want to have TOO many drinks without food!) and I feel bad asking the program this question!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
txdoc2b said:
Thanks...one more question...for anyone who has already interviewed there...
is there dinner or food of any sort at the "happy hour" I just need to know if I should eat before I go or not (don't want to have TOO many drinks without food!) and I feel bad asking the program this question!

Thanks

Hey txdoc2b, how was UT Houston???

They have appetizers
eat b/f you go

I have an interview there in a week and also still have not received any further information about hotels, the reception, or the interview day. I e-mailed them too but have not heard anything back. Seem pretty unorganized. Anybody out there who has interviewed there who can tell me where to stay where there may be a shuttle that could take you to UTH for your interview or what to expect from the interview day? Also their opinion on what they thought of UTH overall. Thanks.

You can stay at the Holiday Inn - Medical Center. On the morning of your interview, there is a shuttle bus that will transport you to the medical school. Make sure you give yourself enought time, because the bus makes multiple stops throughout the medical complex. If you haven't seen the complex, it's huge. Anyway, I matched at UT-Houston last year, and I was very impressed with the program. You don't have all the financial perks like some of the other programs in the nation, but I will name a few: $1000 for meetings, some of your Books are provided for you by drug companies, health insurance provided at no cost, life insurance at no cost, and dental at no cost. There are no CRNAs at this program, so you might have to do a few less desirable cases, but then again, there is no "competition." Good thing is that you still manage to get 2 weekends off per month on your services (not including ICU). Moonlighting exists, and you can make $50-$75/hr. Overall, I am very happy with my choice, and I think that you will be pleasantly suprised with your experience there.

Jefe said:
I have an interview there in a week and also still have not received any further information about hotels, the reception, or the interview day. I e-mailed them too but have not heard anything back. Seem pretty unorganized. Anybody out there who has interviewed there who can tell me where to stay where there may be a shuttle that could take you to UTH for your interview or what to expect from the interview day? Also their opinion on what they thought of UTH overall. Thanks.

Ok-so I was there a couple weeks ago...They do not provide hotel or parking, but a few days before they will give you a list of hotels that have discounted rates in the med center. A tip...I went on priceline and bid on a 3 star hotel in the med center and got the Hilton (very nice, right there) for $40.00 That was risky, but it worked for me. Also, the happy hour the night before is very fun...but they just serve little appitizer type things, so if you don't want to drink too much on an empty stomach, I would eat something the night berfore. And during the actual interview day, be prepared to sit in this room FOREVER while everyone is interviwing. There are about 25-30 applicants who interview with 2 faculty for 20 minutes each (there are about 6 total faculty who intrerview) so you do the math...lots of sitting around!

but overall, I did like the program just not the actual interview day. Hope that helps!