UT Houston vs UNC for potential OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsoni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand both are state schools, but these two are my top choices. Since I'm potentially considering pursuing OMFS, does one offer better chances of matching into OMFS than the other? In terms of name reputation, courses or any other aspect? At UNC, I do remember them saying that almost anyone who applied into OMFS was matched, but I just wanted to see how these two schools compare.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I am having the exact same dilemma! Except my choices are UT San Antonio vs UNC. Does cost play a factor in your choices?

Reactions: 1 user
I am having the exact same dilemma! Except my choices are UT San Antonio vs UNC. Does cost play a factor in your choices?
It does! UT Houston would be way cheaper for me, but I LOVE UNC. Like the school itself and the location. Chapel Hill is a great place to be. For UNC, I can become in state from second year on, but the first year tuition will be really high lol. On the other hand, Houston offered me a small scholarship, but that scholarship makes me instate automatically for all four years. I am still most likely gonna choose UNC, but I just wish I was sure about getting a scholarship there.

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes sense. Price is definitely something to consider. Personally for me I would be hesitant to pay more than 30K to go one school over the other. That is me personally through, and everyone has their price point. Did you get a scholarship for UNC?

That makes sense. Price is definitely something to consider. Personally for me I would be hesitant to pay more than 30K to go one school over the other. That is me personally through, and everyone has their price point. Did you get a scholarship for UNC?
Nope. UNC didn't offer me any scholarships, but the admissions office mentioned that they have a scholarship that we all can apply to, and they open that up after orientation. And they said a lot of people get it. So I'm hopeful.
Which school are you leaning towards?

Nope. UNC didn't offer me any scholarships, but the admissions office mentioned that they have a scholarship that we all can apply to, and they open that up after orientation. And they said a lot of people get it. So I'm hopeful.
Which school are you leaning towards?

I did read about that! You can also look at the FELS scholarship. I don’t think we qualify as OOS for the first year, but after I think we do. As long as you are already planning on practicing in N.C. then it’s free money.

14ufsj.jpg

Go cheap my son.

I understand both are state schools, but these two are my top choices. Since I'm potentially considering pursuing OMFS, does one offer better chances of matching into OMFS than the other? In terms of name reputation, courses or any other aspect? At UNC, I do remember them saying that almost anyone who applied into OMFS was matched, but I just wanted to see how these two schools compare.

Would like to throw out the advice of taking the whole "almost anyone who applied into OMFS matched" with a huge grain of salt. The ones who wanted to do it but had 50 CBSE and were ranked outside of the top 30% didn't bother wasting their time and money applying. Just like how medical/dental school acceptance rate statistics from undergrad means nothing when all the low level students got weeded out by biology 101.

Reactions: 4 users
There are three unc students applying this year and it is pretty likely they will all match. The residency program is great and all the attendings I have met are awesome. They make themselves very accessible and are more than happt to meet, answer questions, and stuff like that. As a dental student you're allowed to scrub in an assist in the OR on any surgeries whenever you have time and are available. The residents I've met are also super awesome to talk to and very friendly. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: 3 users