UT Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inidae

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the UT-Houston LBJ and Memorial Hermann programs? Why are they separate? I searched the websites and it appears that LBJ just graduated a class with 100% foreign grads. Whereas MH doesn't have any foreign grads in its entire program. Does anyone know why?

Members don't see this ad.

Inidae said:
Has anyone heard anything about the UT-Houston LBJ and Memorial Hermann programs? Why are they separate? I searched the websites and it appears that LBJ just graduated a class with 100% foreign grads. Whereas MH doesn't have any foreign grads in its entire program. Does anyone know why?

The reason they are separate programs is because they are at two different hospitals on different sides of the countries 4th largest city, Houston.
LBJ is a county hospital which has very few private patients, while Hermann is a private hospital affilliated with the Memorial hospital system in Houston which includes probably 6-7 other hospitals. If you look at the current residents at LBJ, there are only a handful of FMG's. LBJ is a great teaching hospital with a relatively new hospital, great location outside of the medical center to avoid traffic, but not the best of neighborhoods. Its right on Loop 610 and with the tollroad access you could conceivably live as far as 30 miles north and still be within 25 minutes. They have a great ED, and their clinic location is within the hospital.

Hermann is a beautiful facility but in the hellish medical center with parking nightmares to boot. I don't know anything about either program but I will be applying to both along with St. Joseph's and Baylor. But Baylor seems to be a freaking malignant nightmare of a place. They don't even try to encourage you to do a 4th year elective there for whatever reason...my guess is they know they can hide their issues on a one day interview. St. Joes and LBJ will be at the top of my list, and then I will apply to some top out of state programs just as a fantasy. I will also apply to Scott and White, UTMB Galveston (only 45 minutes from Houston anyway), and UTSW in Dallas.

Hermann is definitely the nicer hospital, as it is semi-private. LBJ is the county hospital and is not in a good area of Houston. Hermann has the advantage of being in Texas Medical Center, with resources such as MD Anderson Cancer Center. But parking is a nightmare. From what I hear from ob gyn faculty and residents, the Hermann program has the better reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med students at UT-H rotate at Hermann, LBJ, and (not sure if they still do) St. Joseph's. Hermann has private patients and has EXCELLENT medical care and very nice facilities. There are public patients as well (medicaid, gold cards, cash only, uninsured, etc), but fewer than LBJ. LBJ is a county hospital, but the volume is amazing. It is basically run by the residents. St. Joseph's is now a Catholic hospital, so they don't do terminations or tubal ligations. Something to keep in mind. Residents at Hermann will rotate at LBJ and vice versa. But I never understood why they were two separate programs.

I've worked at both the UT-LBJ program and the UT-Hermann program. Honestly, I enjoyed the LBJ program more. You get a lot of autonomy at the LBJ site and a lot of good teaching at board check outs. Hermann is great too because of the facilities but because you have so many private patients you don't get to do as much as you do at LBJ. Both program's residents work at MD anderson during their curriculum and you will spend time at the other program's hospital no matter which one you go to. By the way the programs have the same Chair and some of the same faculty. Hope this helps! :p