UT Southwestern/Parkland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jw83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at UT Southwestern a few weeks ago and really liked the program. However, since then I've heard a lot of gossip about how malignant the program is...I didn't really get that feeling while I was there. For example, I heard that interns can't sit down or enter the resident lounge! Is there anyone is a student at Southwestern or rotated through their OB department that can verify or deny these rumors??

Members don't see this ad.

I trained (in fellowship) with a graduate of that program, and can tell you that she was in love with the program. In fact, I have yet to run across a Parkland alum, who has not loved training there. I'd be weary of gossip as often you don't know what the motivation of the source is, even though I'm sure often there are gossips that are true.

Best of luck in the match!

I rotated through OB as an office service intern and part of the gossip is true. there are two red recliners in the OB lounge that are for R3s and above. Everyone but the R3s and 4s probably think that rule is stupid. However whenever a team was on call rarely did R1s-4s got to sit. It is a very heirarchy driven residency. Attendings were pretty friendly, its a resident ran program, and lots of diversity of cases and volume. The R3's and 4's all seemed pretty solid.

if you decide to come to UTSW make sure you learn to speak spanish as a significant portion of your patients are SSO and interpreter phones are a hassle