UT-Memphis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bose13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to UT-Memphis/Class of 2010?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying, but I am out of state and am applying a year earlier than usual, so I'd say its a pretty long shot.

Bose13 said:
Anyone applying to UT-Memphis/Class of 2010?

I just submitted my app this morning. I also mailed all of the additional forms and material they requested. I think it's the only school I'm going to apply to so I hope it goes well. Are you a TN resident? Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bryan,

I am finishing up my app and hope to get it in the mail this week. Bet your glad everything is over with, for now!

Quick question for you; how long was your personal statement? The app is kind of confusing because it states a length of 3 to 5 pages for the DNSc applicants but no length for us.

Hope to see you Fall 2006!!

BTW I am a Tenn res.

hey hey,

i'm applying to UT-memphis as well, but as an out-of-state applicant-we'll see how it goes....anyway, i emailed Dr. Coleman and he said one page would be sufficient. :D

Bose13 said:
Bryan,

I am finishing up my app and hope to get it in the mail this week. Bet your glad everything is over with, for now!

Quick question for you; how long was your personal statement? The app is kind of confusing because it states a length of 3 to 5 pages for the DNSc applicants but no length for us.

BTW I am a Tenn res.

Bose13 said:
Bryan,

BTW I am a Tenn res.

Mine was about 7500 characters including spaces.

So are you guys/girls applying to any other schools? I'm pretty sure i'm going to take my chances and just apply to UT Memphis. Also, not having to deal with AADSAS is a big plus.

I'm applying as well (out-of-state) but my state has no school so every school for me is out-of-state or private. The letter they sent with the app, which I'm sure everyone else got, said they only take 8 out-of-state not including their deal with arkansas I think. Anyone know what the avg GPA and DAT scores of those 8 out-of-state positions are?

I haven't even started filling out that application. I'm focusing on the DAT (less than 3 weeks away).

Utes said:
I'm applying as well (out-of-state) but my state has no school so every school for me is out-of-state or private. The letter they sent with the app, which I'm sure everyone else got, said they only take 8 out-of-state not including their deal with arkansas I think. Anyone know what the avg GPA and DAT scores of those 8 out-of-state positions are?

I haven't even started filling out that application. I'm focusing on the DAT (less than 3 weeks away).

You should fill out the online application at:
http://oracle.utmem.edu/w042_utape_index.php

Hey Guys, I'm new to SDN and I'm excited to see some UT Memphis applicants on here. I'm also applying for the Class of 2010, but I don't know anyone else who's applying since I go to school in Michigan right now :(

Anyways, I never even knew about the online application. It that preferred over the paper app?

Also, I'm taking the DAT in about a week and then I'll be starting on my personal statement....probably will have my application in at the end of the month. Do you guys think that's too late to be competitive.

Well, again, I'm excited to see you on here!! :)

Mayo123 said:
Hey Guys, I'm new to SDN and I'm excited to see some UT Memphis applicants on here. I'm also applying for the Class of 2010, but I don't know anyone else who's applying since I go to school in Michigan right now :(

Anyways, I never even knew about the online application. It that preferred over the paper app?

Also, I'm taking the DAT in about a week and then I'll be starting on my personal statement....probably will have my application in at the end of the month. Do you guys think that's too late to be competitive.

Well, again, I'm excited to see you on here!! :)

Yes, online is easier for the applicant and the admissions committee. I think a month is fine, but I wouldn't wait much longer than that.

On another note, let's try to keep this thread alive over the next 6 months and keep each other informed about what we hear.

-Bryan

bryan45876 said:
Yes, online is easier for the applicant and the admissions committee. I think a month is fine, but I wouldn't wait much longer than that.

On another note, let's try to keep this thread alive over the next 6 months and keep each other informed about what we hear.

-Bryan
What happened to keeping this thread alive.....oh well. Even though no one is probably going to see this, I am also applying to Memphis. I'm an in-stater and a 2nd year applicant................and real scared :scared: . Post if you see this, I'd love to have contact with some other SDNer's that want to go to Memphis.

Oh yea.......Memphis' adcom doesn't meet until two weeks into December so I guess we get to sit on the fence longer than everyone else huh.

Hey, I am applying to UT-Memphis as a TN resident. I interviewed there and like the school. At the interview, they said they are meeting right after thanksgiving to give out acceptances. anyone know if that has changed?

Members don't see this ad :)
SunnyDay said:
Hey, I am applying to UT-Memphis as a TN resident. I interviewed there and like the school. At the interview, they said they are meeting right after thanksgiving to give out acceptances. anyone know if that has changed?
I called about a week or two ago and they told me that they would meet two weeks into december. I have no idea why but that is what I was told. Try calling and they will tell you.......I've called enough and don't want to bother them too much.

It's good to hear from someone that is also applying to this school. Is Memphis your first choice? Are you nervous like me or are you a phenomenal applicant like most SDNer's?

Hey guys,
I am applying to UT as well. I interviewed in October and they said they were meeting right after Thanksgiving to give out acceptances, so hopefully the two weeks into December statement was a ploy.

Spelmangyrl said:
Hey guys,
I am applying to UT as well. I interviewed in October and they said they were meeting right after Thanksgiving to give out acceptances, so hopefully the two weeks into December statement was a ploy.
Ploy???? Do they really do that. I guess I would too though.....gotta have a lot of people calling all the time. Come to think of it, why would they push the meeting back anyway? Maybe I'm just a sucker :laugh:

Has anyone from Arkansas interviewed there yet? I am an Arkansas applicant, and have not heard anything from them yet.

geckel said:
I called about a week or two ago and they told me that they would meet two weeks into december. I have no idea why but that is what I was told. Try calling and they will tell you.......I've called enough and don't want to bother them too much.

It's good to hear from someone that is also applying to this school. Is Memphis your first choice? Are you nervous like me or are you a phenomenal applicant like most SDNer's?

Hey, Memphis is my first choice. I would say I am an average applicant so I am definately nervous about getting in. Have you interviewed there yet?

SunnyDay said:
Hey, Memphis is my first choice. I would say I am an average applicant so I am definately nervous about getting in. Have you interviewed there yet?
Yes, I interviewed last year. They said that I don't need to interview again unless I feel that I didn't do well........I thought that I did great.

Sounds like we are in the same boat......Memphis or bust for me. I feel I'm pretty average too with a 3.2 and 3.1 GPA's, but I did do well on the DAT this time. I hope that it will be enough. I heard that it is extremely competitive over there right now.

geckel said:
Yes, I interviewed last year. They said that I don't need to interview again unless I feel that I didn't do well........I thought that I did great.

Sounds like we are in the same boat......Memphis or bust for me. I feel I'm pretty average too with a 3.2 and 3.1 GPA's, but I did do well on the DAT this time. I hope that it will be enough. I heard that it is extremely competitive over there right now.

Yes, I am not quite sure how competitive my gpa is either. I am sitting at around a 3.4 overall and 3.2 science. I talked to the secretary earlier this year, and she said the average gpa for last year's incoming class for TN residents was a 3.54 overall and 3.47 science. This is very high for TN residents! I can only imagine how high the AR residents must be if it is that high for TN. However, I am not sure if her information is correct because when I interviewed there this year in October, Dr. Coleman said the average is 3.3, but maybe he was quoting the year before or the secretary was wrong. I am not sure who is correct. Anyway, how did you do on the DAT the first time? I am just curious to know since you are reapplying.

SunnyDay said:
Yes, I am not quite sure how competitive my gpa is either. I am sitting at around a 3.4 overall and 3.2 science. I talked to the secretary earlier this year, and she said the average gpa for last year's incoming class for TN residents was a 3.54 overall and 3.47 science. This is very high for TN residents! I can only imagine how high the AR residents must be if it is that high for TN. However, I am not sure if her information is correct because when I interviewed there this year in October, Dr. Coleman said the average is 3.3, but maybe he was quoting the year before or the secretary was wrong. I am not sure who is correct. Anyway, how did you do on the DAT the first time? I am just curious to know since you are reapplying.

I would say that the secretary is correct because everyone that I have talked to told me that last year was extremely competitive. Considering that the year before that the GPA average was a little above a 3.3 it seems unlikely that it would go down and still be considered more competitive. I think that Coleman was speaking of the current applicant pool at that time because I called in early October and they told me that it wasn't as competitve as last year..........then I called again a week ago and they said that it was more competitive than last year.

I made a 17/16/17 on last years DAT.

Do you know the stats on the average DAT scores for last year.......perceptual too. That might help me put my mind at ease because it's the only thing that I feel is strong on my application.....funny since last year Coleman said that all I needed to do was bring up my DAT.

Okay so what is the word? Has TN met or not? I am getting worried here.

Spelmangyrl said:

Last year a buddy of mine did not get his acceptance until DEC 16, so I think that’s when you might hear from them!! Is this your first time applying? What are your stats like?

Mine are 18/19/18
GPA 3.1
Science 3.2

Spelmangyrl said:

Call and ask. I couldn't get a hold of them, and I hate to call excessively.

geckel said:
I would say that the secretary is correct because everyone that I have talked to told me that last year was extremely competitive. Considering that the year before that the GPA average was a little above a 3.3 it seems unlikely that it would go down and still be considered more competitive. I think that Coleman was speaking of the current applicant pool at that time because I called in early October and they told me that it wasn't as competitve as last year..........then I called again a week ago and they said that it was more competitive than last year.

I made a 17/16/17 on last years DAT.

Do you know the stats on the average DAT scores for last year.......perceptual too. That might help me put my mind at ease because it's the only thing that I feel is strong on my application.....funny since last year Coleman said that all I needed to do was bring up my DAT.

I think they told me AA was 18, and I think when I asked about PA, they said they don't even keep records of that because its not as important in their eyes. I imagine you probably just need to hit a cutoff. But I'm sure it was probably a 17.

SunnyDay said:
I think they told me AA was 18, and I think when I asked about PA, they said they don't even keep records of that because its not as important in their eyes. I imagine you probably just need to hit a cutoff. But I'm sure it was probably a 17.

Who was it that told you they don't care about PA......that stinks for me because I killed that part. Oh well

Looks like they were correct in telling me that they aren't meeting until two weeks into december. If one of us gets a Memphis letter then be sure to post it on this thread also so that we can know what's really up.

drdtenn said:
Last year a buddy of mine did not get his acceptance until DEC 16, so I think that’s when you might hear from them!! Is this your first time applying? What are your stats like?

Mine are 18/19/18
GPA 3.1
Science 3.2

Drdtenn....I take it that you are a tennessee resident. Is this your first year applying also?

TO ANYBODY INTERESTED IN ATTENDING MEMPHIS.....Do you know the stats of anyone who was accepted last year....in-state or out of state? I would love to hear about it. Thanks

geckel said:
Who was it that told you they don't care about PA......that stinks for me because I killed that part. Oh well

Looks like they were correct in telling me that they aren't meeting until two weeks into december. If one of us gets a Memphis letter then be sure to post it on this thread also so that we can know what's really up.

The secretary told me that. But I talked to Dr. Coleman last year, and he said they weigh every category equally with him personally having a slight preference towards reading comprehension scores. They do some thing where they just add up all your scores and you should meet that number cutoff. He said he doesn't care how you get that cutoff even if you have a 12 PA, 12 QR, etc... But then again, things might have changed since then as it as has gotten more competitive at Memphis.

geckel said:
Drdtenn....I take it that you are a tennessee resident. Is this your first year applying also?

TO ANYBODY INTERESTED IN ATTENDING MEMPHIS.....Do you know the stats of anyone who was accepted last year....in-state or out of state? I would love to hear about it. Thanks

I am a tennessee resident!!

If you interviewed there last year, and did not get in, and then reapplied this year...will they accept you without an interview?

jabeck74 said:
If you interviewed there last year, and did not get in, and then reapplied this year...will they accept you without an interview?

Yes, I was told that the interview did not have to be done again unless I wanted to.

geckel said:
Yes, I was told that the interview did not have to be done again unless I wanted to.

Yeah, I guess the interview was just to get to know you and put a face to the name. I interviewed last month, and it was so short and relaxed...I was really surprised.

I just got accepted to a great school today, so I'm so excited, but I'm still anxious to hear from Memphis! Is it really true that they won't be telling us anything for a couple more weeks?

SunnyDay said:
The secretary told me that. But I talked to Dr. Coleman last year, and he said they weigh every category equally with him personally having a slight preference towards reading comprehension scores. They do some thing where they just add up all your scores and you should meet that number cutoff. He said he doesn't care how you get that cutoff even if you have a 12 PA, 12 QR, etc... But then again, things might have changed since then as it as has gotten more competitive at Memphis.

BUMP
:love:

Mayo123 said:
Yeah, I guess the interview was just to get to know you and put a face to the name. I interviewed last month, and it was so short and relaxed...I was really surprised.

I just got accepted to a great school today, so I'm so excited, but I'm still anxious to hear from Memphis! Is it really true that they won't be telling us anything for a couple more weeks?

Yeah, they don't get in any hurry about meeting and mailing out acceptances. It took forever last year.

Okay so I got the official word from UT, they are behind in their admissions meeting, so they are not meeting until Dec 14. Sorry but guess we are going to have to wait a little while longer.

Mayo123 said:

Congrads Mayo....it must feel pretty great knowing that you are definitely a future dental student. :thumbup:

Hey, I was wondering if any of you guys are/were UT Knoxville students.......if you are than we might know each other. I was an officer in ASDA, a member of AED, and extremely good looking :laugh: .

geckel said:
Hey, I was wondering if any of you guys are/were UT Knoxville students.......if you are than we might know each other. I was an officer in ASDA, a member of AED, and extremely good looking :laugh: .

I am a Vanderbilt student from Nashville!

7 days left...

1 MORE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :barf:

Well, the 14th has finally passed so it won't be long now. My prediction is that letters will be recieved around 20th-21ist. None the less.....if you are accepted then post so that we all know to check our mail. I wish us all the best of luck. :)

By the way.....is anyone else considering to just call and find out? It's not like they will throw out your application just because you called. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if they had the meeting? Has anyone called to see if letters were mailed?

jabeck74 said:
Does anyone know if they had the meeting? Has anyone called to see if letters were mailed?

I haven't called but I am tempted to do so. Not worried about bothering them.......just scared of what they will say (called last year and was refected, but I'm glad I called because I didn't get the rejection letter till early August).

Somebody else go first. :laugh:

geckel said:
I haven't called but I am tempted to do so. Not worried about bothering them.......just scared of what they will say (called last year and was refected, but I'm glad I called because I didn't get the rejection letter till early August).

Somebody else go first. :laugh:

The easiest thing to do is to get someone who isn't applying to the school call. That way, no problems :D