UT Pharm School Pre-Req question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanMan48

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the pre-requisite courses required for admission?
The UT College of Pharmacy requires a minimum of 90 semester hours (normally three years of full time study after high school graduation):

General Chemistry -1 year (8 semester hours)
Organic Chemistry -1 year (8 semester hours)
General Biology/Zoology -1 year (8 semester hours)
Physics -1 semester (4 semester hours)
Microbiology -1 course (4 semester hours but will take a 3 hour course if it has a lab)
Biochemistry - (2 courses, 6 semester hours)
Anatomy-Physiology - (2 courses, 8 semester hours)
Immunology - (1 course, 3 semester hours)
Calculus -1 course (3 semester hours)
English Composition -1 year (6 semester hours)
Communications/Speech - 1 course (3 semester hours)
Statistics -1 course (3 semester hours)
Humanities - 2 courses (6 semester hours: literature, history, language, philosophy)
Social Sciences - 2 courses(6 semester hours: sociology, psychology, anthropology, political science, economics)
General Electives - (12 hours; general electives may be taken in any area desired by the student, excepting: ROTC, participatory PE/sports, musical performance such as choir or band, etc.)

That's straight from the website. My question is, what do I do if my undergrad school doesn't offer a couple of those courses? Namely my school doesn't offer a course in Immunology and offers only one course in Biochem. Am I screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that's strange.

I have their pre-req list from last year and there's no mention of anatomy. I guess they're upping the requirements.

YAY, now I have even more encouragement to finally break it to my parents that I want to get a degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this person may be talking about UT-Memphis. If you're not, I'm not sure where you're pulling the biochem requirements from. UT-Austin requires genetics and Micro (the immunology part is just the way the class is set up at the school). A separate immunology class is not required. Anatomy and physio are not a requirement either.

Yep, I'm talkin about UT-Memphis.

The Immunology and Biochem reqs kept me from considering UT-Memphis. I found that these requirements are out of line with most other pharmacy schools. I grew up in Memphis and wouldn't mind living there again for a little while, but not enough to delay pharmacy school just to take three classes. Especially when I will have exceeded the credit hour requirements for almost every other pre-req (4 hours calc instead of 3, 10 hours each of gen chem and o-chem instead of 8, 10 hours of A&P...well, you get the idea). It seemed out-of-whack to me.

Now, if I don't get accepted on my first attempt at other schools, I might consider it. I'll need something to do and it might as well be Biochem and Immunology (plus P-chem, endocrinology, pathogenic micro, etc).

Troy

Twester, if you don't mind me asking, where all did you apply then? I live in East Tennessee and of course UT-Memphis is a logical choice for me for pharm school. I want to stay in the Southeast, nothing higher than Kentucky or Virginia (maybe with the exception of Ohio) and nothing west of Texas. Did you apply to a lot of schools in the area I mentioned above? I was thinking of Samford Uni's pharmacy school, but other than that all I see is public uni's in other state's where my chances of getting in are much less because of being out of state.

TrojanMan48 said:
Twester, if you don't mind me asking, where all did you apply then? I live in East Tennessee and of course UT-Memphis is a logical choice for me for pharm school. I want to stay in the Southeast, nothing higher than Kentucky or Virginia (maybe with the exception of Ohio) and nothing west of Texas. Did you apply to a lot of schools in the area I mentioned above? I was thinking of Samford Uni's pharmacy school, but other than that all I see is public uni's in other state's where my chances of getting in are much less because of being out of state.
we have a lot of people from TN here....

i also applied to Mercer in ATL

And now there's always the option of Grundy VA... but i would rather live in BHAM or ATL myself....

TrojanMan48 said:
Yep, I'm talkin about UT-Memphis.
I spoke with the dean about this, about 3 months ago. He said to go ahead and apply, and if you are a strong candidate, they sometimes allow immunology, etc. to be taken in the summers between P1 and P2. If you are only 1 or 2 classes short, I would apply anyways. As long as you have the General Chems, Orgo I and II and the Biologies. I'm applying without Immunology. I think they are pretty strict about the Biochem, though.... I had Biochem last semester with a girl who was offered acceptance to UTM on the stipulation she take the Biochem requirement. So her acceptance was deffered for a year. BTW Im also in East TN.

Interesting DHG, thanks for the reply....

I've been searching through our undergrad catalogue, and I've found some interesting courses that might help me....

1)Topics in Biology: Seminars involving the detailed study of advanced topics in biology not encountered in other coursework. Potential topics include immunology, recombinant DNA techniques, and the ecology of seeds and seedlings.

2)Topics in Chemistry: Seminars and laboratory courses involving the detailed study of advanced topics in chemistry not encountered in other coursework. Selected subjects are nanoscience, photo-chemistry, polymer chemistry, advanced biochemistry, advanced inorganic chemistry, and advanced organic chemistry.

Think those courses might be able to help me meet the req's?

you should contact the dean yourself. Dr. Eoff is very helpful and willing to answer your various questions. I will start pharmacy school at UT this fall and i can say that the faculty and staff there are really friendly and helpful. I have heard of the earlier post that students can take the few remaining classes in the summers, and I've also heard of some classes being exchanged for Immunology if the school doesn't offer it. The best advice though is to contact the dean and write him regarding your situation. Hope everything works out well!
TrojanMan48 said:
Interesting DHG, thanks for the reply....

I've been searching through our undergrad catalogue, and I've found some interesting courses that might help me....

1)Topics in Biology: Seminars involving the detailed study of advanced topics in biology not encountered in other coursework. Potential topics include immunology, recombinant DNA techniques, and the ecology of seeds and seedlings.

2)Topics in Chemistry: Seminars and laboratory courses involving the detailed study of advanced topics in chemistry not encountered in other coursework. Selected subjects are nanoscience, photo-chemistry, polymer chemistry, advanced biochemistry, advanced inorganic chemistry, and advanced organic chemistry.

Think those courses might be able to help me meet the req's?

rroyali, thanks for the suggestion! That seems like the best way to get my questions answered, so I'll take your advice. Hopefully it will all work out well! Thanks guys!

I'll be a P2 at UT-Memphis and i'll try to address some points brought up.

First of all..rroyali..congrats on UT-Memphis, look forward to seeing you in the fall there.

Dr. Eoff will help you out with courses. I know a lot of people in my class(i think 32) are taking Immunology this summer after their 1st year..so it can be done.

Also, you might want to ask him about Biochem. II. I only had Biochem I(i took it last summer before i started) and he told me to have an upper-level bio to take it's place. If you are doing this, I strongly suggest Cell Biology since it would help with Pharmacology and Med. Chem your 1st year. But I know a girl that took Biotechnology(something like that) for that requirement.

The reason why they changed the requirements for entry is because they kicked out all of the Basic Sciences so that we can do a semester more of rotations(we have 15 months now)..so I think it was a good idea, just that sometimes it can be hard to jump into Pharmacology your first year of school, that's something to consider also, but it can be done.

Anyways if you have any more questions you can PM me.

Vilas