ut premed vs smu premed

Started by lnghrn11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lnghrn11

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i've gotten into ut and im still waiting to hear from liberal arts honors. at smu i've gotten into their businness scholars program and honors program, and im getting around a $12,000 scholarship from smu. i want to go to med school so which one would be better? Would it be easier to get into med school if i attend a private university? And i know UT is a better school than smu, but i just wanna know which one would be the better to get into med school. Im thinking about doind a english major or something in the liberal arts area. ive been hearing that medical schools are now looking for students that major in a non science major. is that true? and is bio med engineering a good major for applying to med school? also do a lot of students get weeded out of ut in premed clasess, thats why i was wondering if its better to attend a private university.
 
lnghrn11 said:
i've gotten into ut and im still waiting to hear from liberal arts honors. at smu i've gotten into their businness scholars program and honors program, and im getting around a $12,000 scholarship from smu. i want to go to med school so which one would be better? Would it be easier to get into med school if i attend a private university? And i know UT is a better school than smu, but i just wanna know which one would be the better to get into med school. Im thinking about doind a english major or something in the liberal arts area. ive been hearing that medical schools are now looking for students that major in a non science major. is that true? and is bio med engineering a good major for applying to med school? also do a lot of students get weeded out of ut in premed clasess, thats why i was wondering if its better to attend a private university.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was about me. BTW, which UT do you mean?
 
UTpremed said:
When I first saw this thread I thought it was about me. BTW, which UT do you mean?

me too, i was like.. who's smu premed? 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Coming from an Aggie who is now at UT-Houston, I can tell you that the VAST majority of our class comes from UT-Austin (more fondly referred to as tu) or Texas A&M. The SMU grads make up a MUCH smaller part of our class. Whether this is because tu and A&M are much larger, or because they weed out the less qualified applicants early on, I do not know. I can tell you for sure that tu and A&M have MUCH better pre-med advising offices and programs set up, which is IMMENSELY important when it comes time to apply to medical school.

Bottom line is do well in undergrad and it doesn't matter where you go to school (although I would stay away from the community colleges - but thats been debated before!)

FWIW: Texas A&M was the largest feeder to medical schools in Texas the year I matriculated (2002), slightly beating out our friends in Austin. 😉
 
Originally Posted by UTpremed
When I first saw this thread I thought it was about me. BTW, which UT do you mean?

i mean UT Austin (vs Southern Methodist University)

thanks EM JUNKIE. do you happen to know about how many students from UT Austin or ATM get into med school per year? Ive been trying to look that up at the UT website but I cant seem to find the information. And also does it look better to med school admission committees if you're in honors programs (for example plan II at UT Austin)? or is it just more important to have a really high gpa?
 
UTpremed said:
When I first saw this thread I thought it was about me. BTW, which UT do you mean?

I'm so disappointed. I thought we were going to have an SDN poster showdown.
 
lnghrn11 said:
Originally Posted by UTpremed
When I first saw this thread I thought it was about me. BTW, which UT do you mean?

i mean UT Austin (vs Southern Methodist University)

thanks EM JUNKIE. do you happen to know about how many students from UT Austin or ATM get into med school per year? Ive been trying to look that up at the UT website but I cant seem to find the information. And also does it look better to med school admission committees if you're in honors programs (for example plan II at UT Austin)? or is it just more important to have a really high gpa?

High GPA trumps it all I think. Plan II is cool but hard, although the thesis part may be impressive to adcoms. Overall, it doesn't matter where you go to undergrad, especially between UT/SMU. As a UT alum I may be a little biased, but you will probably have more varied opportunities for research/volunteering/extracurricular activities at UT simply because of its size and diversity.

I found the # of applicants from undergrad schools on the AAMC website (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2005/race.htm), but I couldn't find the # of accepted students from schools. Anyone?
 
DO NOT GO TO SMU. I'm graduating from SMU this year, and it is not a good school for premed. It has an awesome English department (where I'm getting my degree) and business school. I am also in the Honors program. The schools is great for everything but premed. TRUST ME. Go to UT. You will have flexibility in class choices, a great premed advising department, and name recognition during med school applications. The single biggest regret of my life is going to SMU as a premed student. It's great if you're prelaw or a business major, but not if you want to be a doctor. This is not just one bitter premed's opinion; it's something that everyone knows. Go to UT and good luck.
 
I am a Plan II grad. If you have any desire to pursue a liberal arts-type of education, then definitely go Plan II. It's an awesome program! You get some of UT's best professors in tiny classes (freshman seminars are only 15-20 students). There's also a great camaraderie among Plan II'ers because you take so many classes together. The classes weren't that difficult (except for the dreaded modern physics course). In addition, by going to UT, you get to live in Austin, which is a great place to go to college.
Edit: Sorry that I didn't weigh in a great deal on the question of which school is better for pre-med students, but in all honesty, I think the most important factor in doing well as an undergrad is enjoying where you are and what you are learning. Don't make a decision based on an application process four years down the road; choose the program where you will most enjoy yourself for the next four years.
 
lnghrn11 said:
thanks EM JUNKIE. do you happen to know about how many students from UT Austin or ATM get into med school per year? Ive been trying to look that up at the UT website but I cant seem to find the information. And also does it look better to med school admission committees if you're in honors programs (for example plan II at UT Austin)? or is it just more important to have a really high gpa?

http://honors.tamu.edu/opsa/pdf_files/medchart.pdf

About 200 from A&M went to Texas medical schools the last time stats were released. Not sure about those going out of state.

I am not sure about the honors thing. Sorry!
 
Between those two, I think you'd be a fool NOT to go to UT.

UT is better for pre-meds, and the people at SMU are pretentious jerks (sorry for generalizing).

I go to A&M and I'll be applying in a few months. 👍
 
the12thmd said:
Between those two, I think you'd be a fool NOT to go to UT.

UT is better for pre-meds, and the people at SMU are pretentious jerks (sorry for generalizing).

I go to A&M and I'll be applying in a few months. 👍
No offense taken. I only went to SMU because I live in Dallas, and the time wasn't right for me to move out. I (foolishly) thought where you went to college wouldn't matter, but it does. Not because adcoms discriminate, but because you have to be in the right environment.

Speaking of Plan II, at my UT Houston interview it seemed like everyone there was from UT's Plan II and they did have a great relationship. Also, I asked Dr. Wright at UTSW whether my being in SMU's honors program would be an advantage, and he said that the only honors program he thought that was advantageous for med school apps was UT's Plan II.

If I had to do it all over again, UT all the way.