FrankShui

Just to be frank...
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
Texas
I have been told by a handful of individuals who are very familiar with the psych programs in Texas to be very wary when applying/interviewing at this residency program due to accreditation issues. I went to the ACGME website to view its accreditation history. From 2003-2006 it was on provisional accreditation. Ever since, its status is continued accreditation. Honestly, I'm confused. Unless I'm being completely naive, it seems like it's okay. Or am I missing some important information? Does someone know something about the accreditation process that I'm not aware of? I doubt that Southwestern would mingle with a program that has some serious accreditation issues. :confused:

But I'm serious; certain faculty and residents are scolding me for applying there, and I really want to go there.

daru1

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have been told by a handful of individuals who are very familiar with the psych programs in Texas to be very wary when applying/interviewing at this residency program due to accreditation issues. I went to the ACGME website to view its accreditation history. From 2003-2006 it was on provisional accreditation. Ever since, its status is continued accreditation. Honestly, I'm confused. Unless I'm being completely naive, it seems like it's okay. Or am I missing some important information? Does someone know something about the accreditation process that I'm not aware of? I doubt that Southwestern would mingle with a program that has some serious accreditation issues. :confused:

But I'm serious; certain faculty and residents are scolding me for applying there, and I really want to go there.

Very interesting, over the last couple of years, I have heard this same thing during the interview seasons. Very interesting.

WhoisJohnGalt

NYC Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have heard nothing about accreditation issues. My guess is just that they're concerned about the very new (

About the Ads

sella turcica

cerebrogenesis imperfecta
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'd like more info on this as well, I am interviewing with them later.

Oct 20, 2010
Status (Visible)
Caveat emptor - faculty member from the UTSW at Austin Program here, employed in 2007. The history is as follows:

T
he Austin Psychiatric Residency Program used to be community based, and located at ASH (the Austin State Hospital). They had significant accreditation issues, and actually went on probation at one point.

That program closed down in 2003.

At that point the Seton Family of Hospitals took over the program, and as such, it was considered a new program, and all new programs are granted "provisional accreditation" for the 1st 3 years until their next review. After that 2006 review, we were given full accreditation.

We are quite awesome, BTW, and I would argue it was US who chose to mingle with UTSW :)

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Caveat emptor - faculty member from the UTSW at Austin Program here, employed in 2007. The history is as follows:

T
he Austin Psychiatric Residency Program used to be community based, and located at ASH (the Austin State Hospital). They had significant accreditation issues, and actually went on probation at one point.

That program closed down in 2003.

At that point the Seton Family of Hospitals took over the program, and as such, it was considered a new program, and all new programs are granted "provisional accreditation" for the 1st 3 years until their next review. After that 2006 review, we were given full accreditation.

We are quite awesome, BTW, and I would argue it was US who chose to mingle with UTSW :)

Ya gotta love a post that states the facts, and from a poster with healthy self-esteem! :)

TexasPhysician

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Every program has its positives/negatives. Accreditation is not one of UTSW-Austin's problems. Interviewed there last year and looked up accreditation issues and other things myself.

daru1

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Every program has its positives/negatives. Accreditation is not one of UTSW-Austin's problems. Interviewed there last year and looked up accreditation issues and other things myself.

How's intern year going?

daru1

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
By the way, to those that are interested in the program in Austin. Some of the changes that have happened include going from 10 to 5 sick days for the Austin program. There is no CME leave given to residents unless you are presenting at a conference. Also, the book fund amounts have not changed from previous years.

The main point is that there are many differences between UTSW in Dallas and UTSW in Austin that you need to ask about in your interviews.

sonofthesouth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
as someone who is semi- quasi- remotely close to the situaiton, i would not worry about it if i were you. it's a great place and you can read above why you heard what you did about accreditation. however, there are other things to consider in your choice besides accreditation.

daru1

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have been told that they have just gotten full accreditation for the next 4 years.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads