UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDdoc1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has been to UT Southwestern to interview this year? If so, can you tell me a bit about your impression of the program, in particular the call schedule?

Thanks ( ::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Can't say that I interviewed there. I will say that the program coordinator, Jason Sutton, was rude during my interactions with him. After asking a simple and valid question, he replied with a rather curt response.

With more interview invites than time, I decided to cancel UTSW.

I hope it works out well for you if that's where you want to be. I was looking to trim programs and UTSW's Jason Sutton made it easier for me.

Can't say that I interviewed there. I will say that the program coordinator, Jason Sutton, was rude during my interactions with him. After asking a simple and valid question, he replied with a rather curt response.

With more interview invites than time, I decided to cancel UTSW.

I hope it works out well for you if that's where you want to be. I was looking to trim programs and UTSW's Jason Sutton made it easier for me.

I had a very similar experience. Jason Sutton was not outright rude to me, but he was rather curt and unfriendly. I thought it was sort of strange because almost every other program coordinator I have dealt with has been very nice. His behavior did seem strange to me, because I can't imagine why a program would want its "public face" to be a somewhat unpleasant one.

Like you, I had too many invites, so the unfriendliness at UTSW made my decision to cancel that much easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear about your interations with Jason. I'm an intern here and I didn't have that experience at all when I interviewed, and now that I'm here, I find the program to be very warm and friendly. I'll pass this info along.

Regarding the call schedule, there is no in-house call for your psych rotations. We do a lot of psych ER to make up for that, but it is blocked off into a month of days and a month of nights in the intern year (five 12h shifts a week), and another month in the 2nd year. We have a busy psych ER that admits to all of the area psych hospitals, and you write admit orders for the patients who stay in one of the two attached hospitals.

Like most programs, intern year has 6 off service months, consisting of 2 months neuro, 2 months medicine or peds wards, 1 month ER (adult or peds) and 1 medicine (or peds) specialty month. I can't speak about the peds stuff, but the medicine wards are at Parkland, which is the huge county hospital. It's a busy service, but good and very non-malignant. Call is q5, and on weeknights you stop taking admissions at midnight (2AM on weekends). Your cap each call is 4 patients (5 if there is no sub-I that month). The post-post call day is short call, in which you pick up 1-2 new patients that have been worked up and admitted by the night float. Neuro is q4 right now, but they are going to a night float system for next year. We pair up with a neuro R2, and mine let me sleep though calls she deemed "not a good learning case." Psych interns only take call 1 of the 2 neuro months. We do our ER at Presyterian hospital instead of Parkland, which everyone says is a great experience (I haven't done it yet). Specialty months are usually light. I'm doing palliative care, which is part consults, part clinic.

For your psych rotations at the various sites, call is home call. The sites are: Parkland, Zale (UT's private hospital), the VA, and Presbyterian (private hospital that has an eating disorders unit) and Children's. You get called about new admissions and floor issues. I've only done psych ER, medicine, and neuro so far, so I can't speak from experience, but my understanding is that you rarely have to actually come in, maybe one or twice a month.

Third and fourth year are all outpatient, no call, except for a couple months of consults at Parkland. Again, home call, only get called in for the rare emergency capacity eval.

Anyway, I like it here. It's a busy but friendly program with great faculty and residents, and the BBQ is to die for :) Feel free to PM me with questions.

RustNeverSleeps and Hurricane,

Thanks for the posts and clarifications.

I'm not trying to get Jason Sutton in trouble but perceptions are important for someone as visible as program coordinator. If you believe in the admittedly unscientific 1:10 ratio of people speaking up to silent people feeling the same way, then you've got to wonder how much of an impact it's had.

UTSW is a nationally-recognized program and it won't have any trouble getting great people. However, in a buyer's market like psych residencies, these kind of things count for a lot.

Wow, we had the opposite experince with UT Southwestern. Jason Sutton was very friendly. We went back and forth in e-mails and he was very informative and helpful. He made an excellent impression on me and my husband and we're both interviewing there.

Though we would have interviewed there no matter what. ;)

OK, my two cents: I've already had my interview day at UTSW and really enjoyed it. The TD was great and more involved than most during the day.

As for the Program Coordinator, Jason Sutton, I found him to be great, as well. His initial correspondence was very professional and informative and I can understand someone wanting a bit more "warmth", but in person he was very charming and helpful. He had us laughing prior to the day officially starting and really set a postive, fun tone for the day.

First impressions from an e-mail or phone call can always be a let down (like Stanford was for me...long story), but I can say the experience at UTSW was great all around.

The dinner the night before was alot of fun too. Hope this helps..

OK, my two cents: I've already had my interview day at UTSW and really enjoyed it. The TD was great and more involved than most during the day.

As for the Program Coordinator, Jason Sutton, I found him to be great, as well. His initial correspondence was very professional and informative and I can understand someone wanting a bit more "warmth", but in person he was very charming and helpful. He had us laughing prior to the day officially starting and really set a postive, fun tone for the day.

First impressions from an e-mail or phone call can always be a let down (like Stanford was for me...long story), but I can say the experience at UTSW was great all around.

The dinner the night before was alot of fun too. Hope this helps..

I had several correspondences with Jason, and I would describe them as terse rather than professional on his end. They were not informative, either; it's not just that the lack of warmth that was my issue with him. Maybe since he thinks from schools like mine will tend to cancel (or has had people do so), he doesn't put much effort into dealing with us?

I had several correspondences with Jason, and I would describe them as terse rather than professional on his end. They were not informative, either; it's not just that the lack of warmth that was my issue with him. Maybe since he thinks from schools like mine will tend to cancel (or has had people do so), he doesn't put much effort into dealing with us?

Reading this thread it seems you really have it out for this guy. Vendetta much? I had a faculty member who was so unpleasant to me in Chicago that I withdrew my application within 12 hours of the interview and let them know why, but you won't see me publishing his name on a public message board. Doesn't seem very professional, IMO. To each his own I guess.

Reading this thread it seems you really have it out for this guy. Vendetta much? I had a faculty member who was so unpleasant to me in Chicago that I withdrew my application within 12 hours of the interview and let them know why, but you won't see me publishing his name on a public message board. Doesn't seem very professional, IMO. To each his own I guess.

I don't 'really have it out for this guy.' Someone else reported having less-than-stellar experiences with him and I agreed. Then someone else posted that the problem may have just been professionalism and last of warmth on his part. I responded just to clarify that the problem I had with him wasn't just the warmth aspect.

As for having a vendetta against him, that's just ridiculous. My interactions with him were months ago, and I never thought of posting them here. When I saw someone else write about an almost identical experience, though, I didn't see the harm in agreeing. I thought his behavior was a little strange, but it's not as if my feelings were hurt or I was offended. I just think (if this is a pattern for him and he wasn't just having a bad week or something when I dealt with him) that this could be a weakness for UTSW. Like a lot of other psych applicants, I have way too many interviews. Maybe I'm just a softie, but sometimes the niceness of the people in the program convinces me to keep interviews I may have otherwise canceled, because the friendly PDs and RCs gave me a good feeling about the place.

I guess I'm guilty of starting this so I should clarify things a little further.

First off, there's no vendetta here. Despite Jason Sutton's behavior, I stayed consistent and kept it professional. At no point was there an open confrontation. In fact, I was later asked by UTSW why I was declining their interview; they specifically asked if it was anything on their part. Since it was still early on in the season and I hadn't yet gotten the positive feedback that I have over the past weeks, I kept quiet. In hindsight, I probably should have spoken up then. When I saw the thread on UTSW, I thought I'd bring it up.

Psychiatry, by its very nature, is a personality-driven specialty. From the administrative staff to the faculty, each interaction matters. Tone and perception are key. Jason Sutton's name is attached at the bottom of the UTSW interview invitation. By starting in this line of work, he had to know he was going to assume a very prominent role in PR. He is the publicly-visible gatekeeper of UTSW for better or for worse. If it is unprofessional mentioning names, then we should go back and delete the dozens of posts in the Official Interview Feedback thread; as you'll see, dozens of program directors and faculty are mentioned by name.

I too think that Jason Sutton may have given me the cold shoulder based upon my educational background. He may have taken it upon himself to spend less time/warmth/energy because he interpreted me to be less likely to train at UTSW. If this is the case, then it's unfortunate. My current top choice is a place that isn't as prestigious as some of my other places. However, I felt the click at my top choice more than anywhere else. Interviews are supposed to have everyone on their best behavior. If Jason Sutton was consistent with his warmth, then I could very well have interviewed and ranked UTSW. Sutton's antics are UTSW's loss, not ours.

Bottom line, when I go out of my way to be extra courteous to program coordinators like Jason Sutton, I expect the same treatment in return. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fair enough, I suppose. Still bad form. Though I do find it funny that you used his name 7(!) times in the above post. Pronouns are your friend.

Sorry you were abused by a glorified secretary.

Moving on, maybe we could disuss the initial posters question. It would be helpful if more people who were actually invited and interviewed there chimed in.

Dawnfan,

The 7 references to Jason Sutton was intentional. Oops. There's an 8th.

The reason why you haven't posted the identity of your Chicago molester is that it would identify you in the eyes of that Chicago program, thereby exposing you to the possibility of sanction if the Chicago program notified your dean. The "professional" high road that you took isn't so admirable when examined more closely--keeping quiet on SDN was the only thing you really could do. Doesn't sound so "professional" when you don't really have a choice, now does it?

I'm not saying that I would have done anything differently, but, then again, I'm not the one on my high horse.

Moving on, I can almost guarantee that you'll respond to this post. I will stand by in my characteristic "bad form" for your response.

BTW, does Dawnfan = Jason Sutton? Vendetta-bearing minds want to know.

I was not "molested" by anyone in any program. That was uncalled for.

Given that I may not be up to your "professional" standards and to dispel any claims that what I wrote was "uncalled for", I've gone ahead and cited an entry from The American Heritage Dictionary.

"mo·lest (mə-lěst') Pronunciation Key
tr.v. mo·lest·ed, mo·lest·ing, mo·lests

1. To disturb, interfere with, or annoy.
2. To subject to unwanted or improper sexual activity. "

It's interesting to note that meaning 1 has nothing that would be considered inappropriate. In your own words, your Chicago molester was "so unpleasant to me" that he/she was able to "disturb, interfere" with your interview process. Of course, you've projected your own internal meaning 2 onto my post, which doesn't surprise me.

On an added note, with all the faculty and residents that read these posts, do you think that you've held to your "professional" high road? I'll tell you that you're not anonymous anymore, at least not to the Chicago program with the interviewer that molested you. They know you're on the interview trail talking about them.

Moving on and taking your own advice, you should probably allow this thread to continue about UTSW.

I'm inclined to agree with the folks who stated that Jason was a bit terse and cold. But then again, maybe he just comes off that way via e-mail. Unfortunately, I was unable to meet Jason during my interview day, as he had to stay at home to take care of his sick baby. I'm not passing judgment either way, but my initial impression of Mr. Sutton was very similar to Hurricane's and RustNeverSleeps'.