Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to make a new post since several people have been interested in the program now that the match is over. I am one of the two fellows who matched out of the fellowship this year.
For the experience of my co-fellow (hopefullyis) who also matched see the quote below:
"I'm currently an ocular pathology/research fellow at the Moran Eye Center working with Drs. Nick Mamalis and Liliana Werner and I think it is one of the best opportunities (if not the best) out there for this situation. January 14, 2014 was one of the most painful days of my life. Like some of you, I went on 11 interviews, got great feedback (eg "you'd be such a great fit at our program etc. blah blah blah") and ranked all programs. When I opened that email and saw "No Match", I was shocked, in pain, and wondered if it was a mistake. I can totally empathize with all those going through this right now and feel for you. It sucks and the match is a very bizarre process in certain respects.
I am one of the 2 out of 3 fellows that matched this year. This year, I got more (13) interview invitations and went on all of them. For me, choosing the Mamalis/Werner fellowship was about the track record - I'm sure there are several stories of people that have done ordinary research years or prelim years and ended up on top, but the fellowship at Utah has been there for ~20 years and I wanted to go to a program where there was a long term track record of success. In addition, many program directors are familiar with this fellowship and on the interview trail I heard from several people "we matched with people in your fellowship in the past".
While the rematch rate used to be ~100% several years ago, the last 5 years it has decreased to 67% (2/3 fellows matching) as ophthalmology is becoming more and more competitive (it seems to be anyway). Besides the fellowship at Bascolm, there is nothing else that has a track record like this. Dr. Ambati, also at Utah, does have a fellowship that was just started. He is 1/1 now in the match and I've heard positive things from the fellow currently doing it, but it is a brand new program that is very different with no ocular pathology. For me, I wanted something that was established with a reputation as a program.
[DISCLAIMER: Do not think that this fellowship will boost your chances of matching at Utah. It will, however, boost your chances of racking up interviews and matching elsewhere.]
If you really want to become an ophthalmologist, I would definitely apply to the Mamalis/Werner lab (actually all of the pre-residency fellowships - the Mamalis/Werner lab had 35+ apps and interviewed ~10 for 3 spots so its definitely not a guarantee by any means) over doing your intern year. For me, it was a no brainer and getting accepted to the fellowship lifted my spirits and has been a great experience. Besides matching, I will have multiple first author publications in major journals and will be presenting one paper at ASCRS in April (paid for by the program). This work on my cv not only helped me match and get interviews, but will stay with me for the rest of my career. I will also leave knowing a lot about ocular pathology that will serve me well during my residency. Finally, Drs. Mamalis and Werner are great people to work with and are extremely generous. Feel free to PM me with questions."
For a great description of the program from a former fellow (pappyMD) last year see the following link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...gy-pathology-and-research-fellowship.1050215/
For the fellowship info see the following link:
http://medicine.utah.edu/ophthalmology/research/pathology-fellow-qualification-letter.pdf
As for my own experience, I too went through the emotional roller coaster of not matching one year ago. I went on 11 interviews (15 invites) and was surprised and crushed by the news. I had a strong Step 1 score, very good letters, very good leadership/service experience, average grades, and little research. I chose the fellowship for 2 main reasons. First, it would improve my greatest weaknesses (besides grades): research and experience/commitment to the field. I have had two first author papers accepted in strong peer-reviewed ophtho journals, two more first authors submitted, a few more 2nd or 3rd authors submitted, a non-peer reviewed pub, a book chapter, and will present at ASCRS in San Diego. I came to the fellowship a little bit early (May) and therefore got a head start and had some of the papers already submitted and "in prep" by the time I submitted my application in Aug. I also had lots of chances to update my CV with programs throughout the season as more pubs rolled in. I had a lot more to talk about during interviews and a lot of interested interviewers amazed at how much we do. The second reason I chose the fellowship was getting paid and having a unique experience compared to other applicants. I could have done an internship, but since research and ophtho related experience were my weaknesses, this was not a good idea for me. Delaying graduation or taking a year-out meant more debt and less opportunity in my mind. Dr. Mamalis and Werner are excellent mentors and very kind people. They will give you opportunities to be successful that will not only be of benefit for the match, but looking ahead in your career (e.g. fellowship). It does not work out perfectly for everyone, but I have been very happy with my experience and was able to match at my first choice.
If you are interested in the fellowship please contact the fellowship coordinator ([email protected]). I would also be happy to answer any questions you have through PM.
For the experience of my co-fellow (hopefullyis) who also matched see the quote below:
"I'm currently an ocular pathology/research fellow at the Moran Eye Center working with Drs. Nick Mamalis and Liliana Werner and I think it is one of the best opportunities (if not the best) out there for this situation. January 14, 2014 was one of the most painful days of my life. Like some of you, I went on 11 interviews, got great feedback (eg "you'd be such a great fit at our program etc. blah blah blah") and ranked all programs. When I opened that email and saw "No Match", I was shocked, in pain, and wondered if it was a mistake. I can totally empathize with all those going through this right now and feel for you. It sucks and the match is a very bizarre process in certain respects.
I am one of the 2 out of 3 fellows that matched this year. This year, I got more (13) interview invitations and went on all of them. For me, choosing the Mamalis/Werner fellowship was about the track record - I'm sure there are several stories of people that have done ordinary research years or prelim years and ended up on top, but the fellowship at Utah has been there for ~20 years and I wanted to go to a program where there was a long term track record of success. In addition, many program directors are familiar with this fellowship and on the interview trail I heard from several people "we matched with people in your fellowship in the past".
While the rematch rate used to be ~100% several years ago, the last 5 years it has decreased to 67% (2/3 fellows matching) as ophthalmology is becoming more and more competitive (it seems to be anyway). Besides the fellowship at Bascolm, there is nothing else that has a track record like this. Dr. Ambati, also at Utah, does have a fellowship that was just started. He is 1/1 now in the match and I've heard positive things from the fellow currently doing it, but it is a brand new program that is very different with no ocular pathology. For me, I wanted something that was established with a reputation as a program.
[DISCLAIMER: Do not think that this fellowship will boost your chances of matching at Utah. It will, however, boost your chances of racking up interviews and matching elsewhere.]
If you really want to become an ophthalmologist, I would definitely apply to the Mamalis/Werner lab (actually all of the pre-residency fellowships - the Mamalis/Werner lab had 35+ apps and interviewed ~10 for 3 spots so its definitely not a guarantee by any means) over doing your intern year. For me, it was a no brainer and getting accepted to the fellowship lifted my spirits and has been a great experience. Besides matching, I will have multiple first author publications in major journals and will be presenting one paper at ASCRS in April (paid for by the program). This work on my cv not only helped me match and get interviews, but will stay with me for the rest of my career. I will also leave knowing a lot about ocular pathology that will serve me well during my residency. Finally, Drs. Mamalis and Werner are great people to work with and are extremely generous. Feel free to PM me with questions."
For a great description of the program from a former fellow (pappyMD) last year see the following link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...gy-pathology-and-research-fellowship.1050215/
For the fellowship info see the following link:
http://medicine.utah.edu/ophthalmology/research/pathology-fellow-qualification-letter.pdf
As for my own experience, I too went through the emotional roller coaster of not matching one year ago. I went on 11 interviews (15 invites) and was surprised and crushed by the news. I had a strong Step 1 score, very good letters, very good leadership/service experience, average grades, and little research. I chose the fellowship for 2 main reasons. First, it would improve my greatest weaknesses (besides grades): research and experience/commitment to the field. I have had two first author papers accepted in strong peer-reviewed ophtho journals, two more first authors submitted, a few more 2nd or 3rd authors submitted, a non-peer reviewed pub, a book chapter, and will present at ASCRS in San Diego. I came to the fellowship a little bit early (May) and therefore got a head start and had some of the papers already submitted and "in prep" by the time I submitted my application in Aug. I also had lots of chances to update my CV with programs throughout the season as more pubs rolled in. I had a lot more to talk about during interviews and a lot of interested interviewers amazed at how much we do. The second reason I chose the fellowship was getting paid and having a unique experience compared to other applicants. I could have done an internship, but since research and ophtho related experience were my weaknesses, this was not a good idea for me. Delaying graduation or taking a year-out meant more debt and less opportunity in my mind. Dr. Mamalis and Werner are excellent mentors and very kind people. They will give you opportunities to be successful that will not only be of benefit for the match, but looking ahead in your career (e.g. fellowship). It does not work out perfectly for everyone, but I have been very happy with my experience and was able to match at my first choice.
If you are interested in the fellowship please contact the fellowship coordinator ([email protected]). I would also be happy to answer any questions you have through PM.