Utah (OOS) vs. MWU AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newfuturedentist19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given that these schools will cost exactly the same, which one is better?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MWU-AZ all the way. I found this report from CODA (The agency that accredits each school) and its pretty eye opening (see attachment.) Look at table. 23 of how many patient visits Utah gets vs. MWU-AZ. Yeah, given Utah has a class size of 50 and MWU-AZ is 140, MWU-AZ still sees literally 9x more patients. Call Utah's bluff go to MWU-AZ (the better school.)

Attachments

• SDE1_2017-18.xlsx
    571.1 KB · Views: 105
Members don't see this ad :)
MWU-AZ all the way. I found this report from CODA (The agency that accredits each school) and its pretty eye opening (see attachment.) Look at table. 23 of how many patient visits Utah gets vs. MWU-AZ. Yeah, given Utah has a class size of 50 and MWU-AZ is 140, MWU-AZ still sees literally 9x more patients. Call Utah's bluff go to MWU-AZ (the better school.)
How representative is this data to how well clinically a program is? UofP for example is very well known for its clinical program, but this table has its patient number at 12,500, which is very low compared to other schools for their 140 positions. Don't think the table gives the full story my dude.

How representative is this data to how well clinically a program is? UofP for example is very well known for its clinical program, but this table has its patient number at 12,500, which is very low compared to other schools for their 140 positions. Don't think the table gives the full story my dude.

I agree with you there. There is always a story behind most stats. One thing that is fishy though with UoP is they have straight up rounded numbers reported which looks like they almost guessed or estimated whereas Utah (And all other schools) have exact numbers. One thing I do know though, (because I have connections to the state of Utah) they do struggle clinically because they have had to start traveling with their D4's to the southern part of the state to try and get more clinical experience and meet their requirements. Utah is most known for their medical school and dental is trying to mimic their pattern and philosophies. So heavy didactic courses, higher board scores, heavy research, but clinical experience is not a high priority to them. Just depends on what you want out of dental school I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with you there. There is always a story behind most stats. One thing that is fishy though with UoP is they have straight up rounded numbers reported which looks like they almost guessed or estimated whereas Utah (And all other schools) have exact numbers. One thing I do know though, (because I have connections to the state of Utah) they do struggle clinically because they have had to start traveling with their D4's to the southern part of the state to try and get more clinical experience and meet their requirements. Utah is most known for their medical school and dental is trying to mimic their pattern and philosophies. So heavy didactic courses, higher board scores, heavy research, but crappy clinicians. Just depends on what you want out of dental school I guess.
That is true, I didn't see that at all. That's unfortunate. Another aspect to think about is Utah has a gpr while MW does not, so utah students are losing patients (even if the number of residents is small) to residents. Interesting to think about. The small class size might be something important on the other hand if you like more personal interaction. It's a tough choice, but MW looks more appealing.

Reactions: 1 user