Utah (OOS) vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phopho

Reaction score
School 1: U of U (oos)
Pros:
  • Huge # of clinical hours
  • Smaller class size
Cons:
  • Newer school
  • Boston > SLC

School 2: Tufts
Pros:
  • I loved the city when I was there for the interview
  • Great school overall with great alumni connections
Cons:
  • Expensive cost of living (although the overall price would be very similar)
  • Larger class size
  • Not much clinical first two years

Summary: I already submitted my deposit to Tufts but just got an acceptance from Tufts yesterday. Both schools are far from home and the tuition is pretty much the same (U of U is about $2000 cheaper / year). The main reason that I'm having a hard time deciding is because U of U is a newer school but the students there get done so much in clinic. Tufts do say that they are the top clinically in the New England, but compared to U of U, they are still clinically weak.

Members don't see this ad.

UoU. Stronger clinic and SLC>>>Boston. There’s a lot of SLC that isn’t LDS and you can ski and hike/do cool outdoorsy stuff year round.

Reactions: 1 users
At the end of the day, you'll learn most after you graduate from dental school. Not sure why people priortize clinical experience so much. Go where you'll be happy for the next 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your background? Hard to recommend a school choice with no information about you. Either school will be ok. Tufts is bigger and more well known. I don't think either school has particularly strong clinical skills. Tufts has almost every speciality so you can feel free to shadow them, but usually can't do advanced procedures