UTHSCSA (San Antonio) or UPenn or UOP (Arthur Dugoni)? which one would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KhinaKumari

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I need your suggestions.
If you got accepted to both UPenn, UTHSCSA, UOP which one would you pick, and why? I got a call from UTHSCSA last week with the good news! And, I have two other options in hand. I am having this dilemma as they all seem great schools to me.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! Three acceptances... that's very impressive! I would pick UOP if given the choices. UOP graduates over the years have consistently spoke well of their educational experiences. Also, San Francisco is much nicer place to go to school than Philadelphia or San Antonio. I like the Bay Area's tolerant, progressive, and innovative mindset.

First of all congratulions to you.
There are several factore you might keep in mind:-
1. Cost of education along with living expenses
2. what are you looking for:-
Great clinical experience UOP vs chances to specialize at UPenn....or if you want to do research
3. Class size
4. What each program has to offer
5. Where would you finally want to settle. As alumni connections might help you later getting a job and call/research about each school how strong they are
6. Environment at school. Pacific follows a more of humanistic approach,while at texas from what i have heard it little less relaxed.
In the end its your call. Make a wise choice. Choose what you think is the best fir for you.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In my mind I would pick UTHSCSA for multiple reasons:
1) UTHSCSA you begin clinics at the very beginning of the course but at UOP you are working in the lab for the entire 1 year (the school has a great lab based course but there star prof Dr. C is leaving this year. Not sure how this will impact the course)
2) Majority of the UOP IDS graduates are moving to Texas with UTHSCSA you are already there :) - from what I have heard SF (read entire California) is saturated and the salaries are not as competitive (some say the salaries are almost 80-90% higher in Texas). UTHSCSA has a great network in Texas - so easier job placements
3) UTHSCSA is almost 100K cheaper! In the grand scheme of things it may be a small thing but it counts and matters
4) UTHSCSA has some strict norms for you to graduate. you are required to do x number of implants and y number of RCTs - I think the school will truly prepare you for the real world. UOP does not have these norms
Both courses are UBER AWESOME! I am net picking because you have the choice and you have to choose one.
Please note: I will be starting at UTHSCSA coming summer. I have no info about UPenn, hence did not compare. Good luck with your decision!
Where

Where all did you got the acceptance from njain 2683?

Hello Guys,

I need your suggestions.
If you got accepted to both UPenn, UTHSCSA, UOP which one would you pick, and why? I got a call from UTHSCSA last week with the good news! And, I have two other options in hand. I am having this dilemma as they all seem great schools to me.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.
Hi which school did u choose finally?

If I were you, I would go for UPenn.