UTHSCSA vs. TAMHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Texan Ranger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am lucky enough to have received prematch acceptance offers from both of these schools. However, I am having a hard time justifying one over the other. I was wondering if current students or applicants can provide me some insight to help me out with this decision.

Both schools have shortened preclinical time to allow for clinical exposure prior to STEP 1, organ based modules, integrated time for research, and close in proximity to my family. What other criteria are important in making a decision (links with information would be greatly appreciated)?

Any information will be of great help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am lucky enough to have received prematch acceptance offers from both of these schools. However, I am having a hard time justifying one over the other. I was wondering if current students or applicants can provide me some insight to help me out with this decision.

Both schools have shortened preclinical time to allow for clinical exposure prior to STEP 1, organ based modules, integrated time for research, and close in proximity to my family. What other criteria are important in making a decision (links with information would be greatly appreciated)?

Any information will be of great help!

Whether or not you want to be in a class that splits up after 1-1.5 yrs or a class that stays together is something to think about. Will you have a problem moving twice and not staying in the same location for all 4 years? What if you make friends, do you want to deal with possibly splitting up with them? Do you want to be at a school that is connected to a medical center? What do plan on specializing in? One of my interviewers at A&M told me that if you want to do surgery, derm, or something highly specialized then other schools might be a better option. Not sure how valid this info is though seeing that A&M matches people into those specialities as well. Also its connection to the TMC (if you seek and get into the houston campus)would provide great oppurtunities for these specialities.

Also, has either school offered any scholarship money? That is also something to keep in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you go to the second looks at the schools? That may help you :) I'd pick TAMHSC, but I'm biased lol

I'm trying to decide between the two as well. It's quite difficult beucause both have the same
Amount of pros and cons for me