UTHSCSA vs. UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weezy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks...just got the magical call from UTHSCSA, but awaiting a letter from Upenn... Upenn interview went amazingly, and they all but told me I was in... anyways, IF I end up having to choose, which one is a better choice? Im looking to specialize in maxillofacial surgery when im done... any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
Congratulations on your achievement. I was actually in the same boat...When I went for my interview at u penn, I had my acceptance from UTHSCSA. I asked many penn students, about which University to choose and could'nt believe many of the students there, advised me to go for UTHSCSA. Personally, I felt that inspite of the name and fame of penn, many students there did'nt seem very satisfied with the program and the infrastructure available. It mite juz b my personal view. Both schools have very good and most difficult to get into, international dentist program

@Elixir....first of all congratulations...for getting call and selected in of the best dental schools in America...wishing u a wonderful life ahead...!!!

if u dnt mind can i ask for some guidance...i applied this year and didn get any interview call..
my stats are nbde 90 , gpa 3.24 , toefl 105.
i really have no clue how to improve my profile , what else to do...
i will start preparing for part 2 now...
can u please guide me what all experience i should have...that will help me in getting interview call , atleast next year..if i miss this year

i will be highly thankful for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks...just got the magical call from UTHSCSA, but awaiting a letter from Upenn... Upenn interview went amazingly, and they all but told me I was in... anyways, IF I end up having to choose, which one is a better choice? Im looking to specialize in maxillofacial surgery when im done... any advice?
Congrats Weezy84 for the achievement! I don't know much about Penn but I've been to UTHSCSA. I think its a wonderful program. But I think for making a decision between these two great schools, probably you need to consider the 'living' factors also as you'll be committed to the place (Philly or Texas) too for two years. I think you have a great problem with no wrong answers ;-)

If both schools are good, pick the cheaper one. Trust me in 5 or 10 years from now, the only thing that remains with u from school is the monthly check u'll have to pay for ur loans.

Good advice everyone... thanks a lot... seems to me San Antonio is the cheaper of the two thanks to UPenn's $20,000 pre-matriculation program fee.. plus, San Antonio is cheaper to live in.. weather's more similar to florida, which im used to..so I guess UTHSCSA it is!!

Which one is better among UMDNJ and UPenn?

@Elixir....first of all congratulations...for getting call and selected in of the best dental schools in America...wishing u a wonderful life ahead...!!!

if u dnt mind can i ask for some guidance...i applied this year and didn get any interview call..
my stats are nbde 90 , gpa 3.24 , toefl 105.
i really have no clue how to improve my profile , what else to do...
i will start preparing for part 2 now...
can u please guide me what all experience i should have...that will help me in getting interview call , atleast next year..if i miss this year

i will be highly thankful for the help.
HI Complicated,
It is actually very strange that with the scores you have you did not get any interview call at all. Besides gud scores, it is your personal statement, which tells a lot about you to the admissions committe. So, make sure you have a very nicely written SOP in your application. Also add some US experience, research experience to your profile. It not only helps you get an interview, but also helps you excel during the interview. You are on right track..finish your part 2, before applying for next year.
Have patience and keep working hard.
I wish you all the very best

UPenn vs UMN any body?

Which one is better among UMDNJ and UPenn?

UMN, UPenn and UMDNJ all of them are great and very decent schools with excellent reputation so pick the cheaper one because as hammoudeh71 said earlier in this thread “the only thing that remains with u from school is the monthly check u'll have to pay for ur loans after 5 or 10 years” but keep in your mind that we are talking here about 3 of the best dental school in regarding researches, patients pole-exposure and education so why you would pay extra money for the same quality….. Good luck