Utilization review physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAwsome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Not sure where to post this so I'll post it here. Where does one get training as a utilization review physician? I'm interested in working in this sector in the future, and would like to get some experience. Anyone have any clue on how to get started?

Members don't see this ad.

Where does one get training as a utilization review physician?

No training required. Or, make that "No" training required. I'm sure it's OTJ, although I suppose you could practice on your kids.

noStamp.jpg

No training required. Or, make that "No" training required. I'm sure it's OTJ, although I suppose you could practice on your kids.

noStamp.jpg

OTJ = on the job? Well I would have to get kids first in order to practice on them, so that might be difficult ATM. I doubt though that if I wanted to say get a job now as a review doc I could, since I have no idea how to do the job, that's why I was asking. I don't really recall getting any of this OTJ training as a resident either.

I doubt though that if I wanted to say get a job now as a review doc I could, since I have no idea how to do the job, that's why I was asking.

That "whoosh" sound you hear? That was the joke whizzing past your head. And that's sad because it was a good one.

And why go down this path? Is "weed doc" not doing it for you anymore?

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search on internet.... Found this job posting: it may give you a general idea of the responsibilities entailed. Although it does not answer your question of how to get started, I would just contact prospective employers and ask....

Career Opportunities
ABOUT HEALTHDATAINSIGHTS

HealthDataInsights, is the industry leader in healthcare claims integrity (fraud, waste, abuse, errors, overpayment identification and recoupment solutions). HealthDataInsights is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada with facilities in both California and Florida. The company’s clients include government payors (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services), many of the nation’s largest health plans, and major employers. As Medicare’s exclusive Recovery Audit Contractor in Region D (17 states), as well as the vendor of choice for America’s largest commercial health plans, HDI reviews over $300 billion in claims paid per year. HDI is a subsidiary of HMS Holdings, Inc., a public company. HMS is the nation’s leader in cost containment solutions for government-funded, commercial, and private entities.

Utilization Review Physician
Utilization Review Physicians are responsible for independently auditing medical records and bills for accuracy and necessity. The primary focus of this position is to identify properly underpayments and overpayments. The UR Physician will review and certify the medical necessity of prospective, concurrent, and retrospective units of inpatient and outpatient services provided.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Provide clinical expertise and judgment in the accurate review of medical records submitted in support of claims identified as being at risk for improper payment
Review, summarize and provide testimony on medical record determinations
Perform independent medical record case review to validate medical necessity and level of care for correct billing
Review case-specific patient information concurrently for the medical necessity of hospital admissions using commercial review criteria and/or scripted guidelines
Demonstrate critical thinking, interpersonal oral and written communication skills to support review findings
Ensure consistent application of the utilization review process for all functional components
Provide guidance and education to the Health Care Management (HCM) Team regarding proper application of National and Local Coverage Determinations (NCDs, LCDs), Review Guidelines, CMS Internet only manual, etc.
Serve as a readily available source of medical information to the review team regarding particular claim reviews
Participate in special projects as needed and participate in team meetings
Develop proficiency in using Milliman Care Guidelines, InterQual® and CMS guidelines for medical necessity
Manage workload to ensure timely processing per state and federal mandates
Perform other duties as assigned

JOB REQUIREMENTS

Doctor of Medicine or a Doctor of Osteopathy from an accredited Medical School in the United States
Current licensure to practice medicine in the United States
Knowledge of coverage and reimbursement rules of the Medicaid and/or Medicare program
Sound clinical judgment
Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel programs
Working knowledge of HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules and CMS security requirements preferred
Familiarity with coding principles to include ICD-9, CPT, HCPCS, RUGS, and MS-DRG preferred
Two (2) years experience in Utilization Review, Case Management and Medical Record Review preferred
Ability to work well either alone or cooperatively and effectively with individuals and groups

JOB Location

Las Vegas, NV (must be willing to relocate immediately)

SALARY & BENEFITS

Competitive salary plus medical, dental, vision, flex savings, pre-paid legal, short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance benefits in addition to a 401k retirement plan, nine paid holidays and a paid time off (PTO) plan.

CONTACT

For immediate consideration, please submit your resume, salary & bonus history (mandatory in order to receive consideration for the position), and daytime contact information to [email protected] marked “Utilization Review Physician" in the Subject heading of the e-mail. Please note that we will be unable to respond to each resume received, but also note that your resume will be reviewed in a confidential manner. Thank you for your time and interest! HDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PRINCIPALS ONLY

That "whoosh" sound you hear? That was the joke whizzing past your head. And that's sad because it was a good one.

IIRC he got an island degree and dropped out of residency twice and isn't board certified so it does sort of make sense he's looking for alternative career paths.

I have no idea why you are so caustic and abrasive with me. Is it something that I've said that's insulted you? It's sad that instead of saying something productive and helpful you feel the need to be this abrasive.

To address your second question, I am always on the look out for new opportunities. ALWAYS. Given the uncertainty of healthcare, I feel it's important. I am not sure why it matters though? I had a question, and I asked it. You can either choose to be helpful or you can continue being negative and caustic, which is not very productive and creates nastiness.

I have never been a "weed doc" but inquired about it. Why shouldn't I?

It would be nice if you could stop being caustic.

IIRC he got an island degree and dropped out of residency twice and isn't board certified so it does sort of make sense he's looking for alternative career paths.

As a med student you probably should not be talking smack when you haven't even graduated, matched, or had any sort of career and mounds of debt. Not to mention of course that it makes you look simple when you are misinformed and not even having the ability to distinguish posters. That's pretty sad. Will you even be able to distinguish your patients in the future? Will you know who they are, which diagnosis and labs belong to who? I would be a little more respectful and have less attitude given your status my friend.

And I believe in your simple mindedness you are probably referring to docu, who is the poster who has mentioned that he was not able to finish his residency. Again, given that you are a nobody right now, I wouldn't be making fun of others who have had misfortunes. Not only is it a nasty thing to do as a human being, but it's not very professional or collegial either.

I have no idea why you are so caustic and abrasive with me. Is it something that I've said that's insulted you? It's sad that instead of saying something productive and helpful you feel the need to be this abrasive.

To address your second question, I am always on the look out for new opportunities. ALWAYS. Given the uncertainty of healthcare, I feel it's important. I am not sure why it matters though? I had a question, and I asked it. You can either choose to be helpful or you can continue being negative and caustic, which is not very productive and creates nastiness.

I have never been a "weed doc" but inquired about it. Why shouldn't I?

It would be nice if you could stop being caustic.

The joke was that a utilization review physician basically says "no" to any tests or treatment plans a practicing physician might implement, and that becoming a utilization review physician requires no formal training.

Last edited:
The joke was that a utilization review physician basically says "no" to any tests or treatment plans a practicing physician might implement, and that becoming a utilization review physician requires no formal training.

Yes, I realize that, but I still don't appreciate the negative attitudes displayed by gutonc and the pompous med student. That is all.

[YOUTUBE]9CdVTCDdEwI[/YOUTUBE]

Timing is everything. ;)

Reactions: 1 user