Utilizing Foreign Medical Background in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U4iA

εὐφορία
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Any suggestions are appreciated and feel free to send a private message.

I have an uncle who earned an MBBS in India.
He is 50 years old, has 30 years of general practice experience in India and has 10 years teaching experience in pathology and microbiology at the doctorate level. He is not interested in taking the USMLE at this time.

He recently received a greencard and would like to work for some time in the United States. He has a passion for teaching but he is willing to do any type of work (lab/research, teaching, taking histories in a clinic, physician assistant, etc.)

If you have any thoughts that I could pass along, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Best wishes........

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, he will find his options are limited.

He cannot practice medicine as an MBBS without the USMLE's and a residency.

He cannot work as a nurse, or as a physician assistant without completing school / exams in these areas.

He can be a medical assistant. This would involve putting patients in rooms, checking their blood pressure, performing EKG's, perhaps drawing blood, etc.

Unless he's internationally known in micro or path, I doubt he'll find much there as far as teaching is concerned. Maybe as a volunteer -- but even then, probably not.

It sure seems that your uncle has a wealth of experience to share and that this would be welcomed by many organizations.

One thing that came to mind, as far as alternatives go, was looking at the allnurses.com forum, because it might provide some fresh options. Just a thought. There's a considerable international following on that site - career changers, expatriates, etc. Good luck to your uncle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, he will find his options are limited.
Unless he's internationally known in micro or path, I doubt he'll find much there as far as teaching is concerned. Maybe as a volunteer -- but even then, probably not.

ugh, how do you figure? could easily teach biology/anatomy/phsyio/micro at a community college or even a small public 4 year college. i had an idiot, unlicensed chiropractor teach my physiology class at a 4 year public university.

ugh, how do you figure? could easily teach biology/anatomy/phsyio/micro at a community college or even a small public 4 year college. i had an idiot, unlicensed chiropractor teach my physiology class at a 4 year public university.

I"m fairly sure APD was talking about teaching at a US medical school not a JC or undergrad university.