UTMB?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future GI Guy

Hoo Hoo....
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone from UTMB know about the Internal Medicine Residency there?

I vaguely recall them not matching all their spots immediately post-match, but now it seems they did?

What gives?

Also, is Galveston really as hot as they say it is? (Two Seasons: Summer--and August)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, the IM program as well as many of the other programs suffer from somewhat of a drought in local patients (continuity of care is a nightmare) made worse by being in a not so great location....despite the image of living by the gulf. UTMB is a referral center for indigent care throughout the state and has the TDCJ prison hospital. However, many of the more interesting cases end up at the Texas Medical Center. Trauma and acute illnesses...end up at TMC. The IM program has a fairly progressive night float system however, which may appeal to some (UT-San Antonio's is similar). As for why it might not fill......Galveston is not a star destination by any means. It is hot...sweltering hot. Lotsa mosquitos. Devoid of social activities except for watersports and a few bars and a tame Mardi Gras in February. Houston is about an hour away....on a good day with little traffic...but for some people like me, Houston is equivalent to the gateway to hell- filthy hot, flat, violent city with no soul to speak of.

Just opinions and observations which may explain why UTMB may not be so popular.

Here take it from a former Houstonian. Houston sucks. Its very hot and very polluted. The medical center is a concrete jungle. Very crowded and horrible traffic. Just imagine....peak of summer 105 F at the center, add to this pollution second only to LA and if this was not enough unrelenting traffic jams and pothole ridden streets. The upside of Houston is that it is multicultural, cheap to eat out and cheap to find housing. Now about Galveston...I know someone there who likes the IM program( primary track). The medical center is pretty good too but Galveston itself looks deserted and depressing. I thank my stars for not getting in there. The beaches are dirty. The only thing happening in Galveston is the medical center and the UTMB is the main employer in the town. The medical school itself is more reputed than UT Houston but just having to live in Galveston is a depressing thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're curious about Houston run a search on it... there was a long thread (which I contributed to also) about how crappy Houston really is. I lived in Galveston when I was a kid and I'd say it's just slightly better than Houston... and that's still pretty bad.

I'm a first year at UTMB which means I have no clue about our IM residency. I do, however, live on the island so here is my weather report. :)

As Robbin Williams says: It is hot. Damn hot. Fortunately, it doesn't feel as hot as Houston (granted, that isn't saying much) b/c we have an almost constant breeze coming off the Gulf. I grew up just outside of Houston and remember it being a hell of a lot hotter than it feels down here. The humidity is pretty damn nasty, though.

If you are looking for beaches and crystal clear water, this certainly isn't the place for you. If you like to sail or fish, you'll love it here.

Hope that helps.

Take care,
Jeff