UTSW/Baylor chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I made a thread awhile back and have since improved my ECs. Basically, I want to get into UTSW/Baylor or maybe UT houston (Texas schools too cheap for residents!)

School: UT Austin
Major:Honors biomedical engineering
GPA: 3.97
MCAT: 37R (14 11 12)

Research: Will 2ish years of experience with 1000$ fellowship money (may get more) and on campus poster presentation. Will be doing honors thesis summer of applying.

Medical Volunteering: Volunteer in hospital 40 hours at info desk, 40 on patient floors (bring food and random chores) should have atleast 40 at ED

Non-medical Volunteering:
Animal Shelter: should have 75ish hours
Soup kitchen: should have 50ish hours
Habitat for Humanity: Haven't actually done this yet, but plan to go to atleast 4 work days which is like 30 hours

Tutoring: Got job already, will have 1 semester experience

Shadowing: Have none atm, but will get atleast 30 hours

Hobbies: Being terrible at powerlifting

Only award I have is an engineering scholarship they give to everyone.

LORs are expected to be average. I know admissions to top schools like UTSW/Baylor are complete crapshots, but if you guys could ballpark chance me so I can decide if I should take a year off I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I know who you are ... lol.

Numbers-wise, you should be set for any of the schools you listed. Your research experience is good, but the rest of your ECs seem a bit light in terms of time commitment. That being said, you've been involved in a nice range of activities, so just keep volunteering throughout the spring semester and you should be okay.

Just a few thoughts based on my personal experiences with the schools you listed:

- Pre-matching into UTSW seems to be based almost entirely on numbers (there are always exceptions, but the people that I've known who have pre-matched here all had 3.8+/33+).
- Pre-matching into UTH seems like it's a bit more of a crapshoot, since they reserve fewer slots in their class for pre-match (I pre-matched there, but a friend with much higher numbers didn't)
- Baylor gets a more eclectic set of applicants compared to other Texas schools, so your ECs/interviews probably matter a bit more here in terms of standing out

I think I know who you are ... lol.

Numbers-wise, you should be set for any of the schools you listed. Your research experience is good, but the rest of your ECs seem a bit light in terms of time commitment. That being said, you've been involved in a nice range of activities, so just keep volunteering throughout the spring semester and you should be okay.

Just a few thoughts based on my personal experiences with the schools you listed:

- Pre-matching into UTSW seems to be based almost entirely on numbers (there are always exceptions, but the people that I've known who have pre-matched here all had 3.8+/33+).
- Pre-matching into UTH seems like it's a bit more of a crapshoot, since they reserve fewer slots in their class for pre-match (I pre-matched there, but a friend with much higher numbers didn't)
- Baylor gets a more eclectic set of applicants compared to other Texas schools, so your ECs/interviews probably matter a bit more here in terms of standing out

I'm assuming you're BME, but I can't think of anyone I know with your Stats... But anyway thanks for the excellent input.

I think you will get into UTSW. Maybe Baylor, but they do seem to put more emphasis on ECs. I had similar stats (a bit higher) as you from a worse school and got into both.