UTSW Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All your vaccines are free and they keep track of everything and will do free titers....

Tiffany

Members don't see this ad.

for chickenpox you can have had the disease and you'll be alright. i think an immunization record w/o signatures would be fine. for varicella all i had was my mom handwriting it in some immunization record back in 1979.

v j said:
for chickenpox you can have had the disease and you'll be alright. i think an immunization record w/o signatures would be fine. for varicella all i had was my mom handwriting it in some immunization record back in 1979.
I know...I had the disease, but then when I went to get the titer it was negative. Apparently I am not immune to it despite contracting it during childhood...although I could just show them proof I had it, I would prefer to have the vaccine, considering how dangerous chicken pox can be as you age.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering who out of all yall is starting their MS0 research tomorrow?

I will show up at 9 AM to start work on spinal chord injury with Dr. Shuxin Li.

What are yall doing?

Researching diabetes and endothelial cell changes with Dr. Shohet. Ah research... ... ...

hahaha

I started today and will be at orientation in the morning. Does anyone have any information about eligibility for student insurance this summer? I haven't been able to get an answer from any of the offices I've tried at Southwestern or from the insurance company. Looking forward to meeting some more of you fellas.

tgerwuds said:
I was just wondering who out of all yall is starting their MS0 research tomorrow?

I will show up at 9 AM to start work on spinal chord injury with Dr. Shuxin Li.

What are yall doing?

Is anyone planning on purchasing a laptop through the UT financial aid package? If so, what kind of model are you thinking of getting and why? I keep going back and forth about model specs vs. price...I guess I just don't have a good feel for what I really need, or what a "good" price is for that. Has anyone bought a laptop before (clearly, I have not) and can give me some good advice?

I think that either Apple or Dell will serve - I'm leaning towards Dell right now just because I've always been a PC user, and I'm used to it.

Also, is there a deadline by which we have to submit the paperwork to UT if we are using their package?

Feedback is much appreciated - thanks =)

--Julia

i haven't taken any action yet, but i'm planning on getting a mac. it'll be my first mac. that being said i know nothing else about getting the computer through the school. so basically this post gives you about zero help...

v j said:
i haven't taken any action yet, but i'm planning on getting a mac. it'll be my first mac. that being said i know nothing else about getting the computer through the school. so basically this post gives you about zero help...

Ah, but an answer to my post does count as feedback - and, as I stated in the original, feedback is ALWAYS appreciated.

Well...nice feedback (I'll qualify it that much). But yours was nice =)

I'm thinking about getting a Sony computer. I'm not really a fan of dell or apple, but I'm still shopping around.

hey, you guys still around?

As for the computer question -- I'd wait on the mac. As you may have found out, Apple is going to switch to Intel chips for consumer computers in a year. This should produce some much faster machines for the money, especially laptops. IBM has dropped the ball w/ G5s for powerbooks and they probably won't produce them ever. I have an ibook G4 and love it but it is a bit anemic.

Does anyone know if Microsoft Office will be $5 through the school?

Tiffany

Members don't see this ad :)
neoncandle said:
Does anyone know if Microsoft Office will be $5 through the school?

Tiffany
Tiffany-

Just graduated from UTSW...the bookstore has very CHEAP software for students for one time purchase...i bought microsoft office thru them (don't remember how much it was, but it was significantly discounted-less than $20 for sure) during my first year. The bookstore has several other programs as well--it's a real steal. Sorry to intrude on ya'lls forum, best of luck.

BUMP...where is everybody at?

word up to all of my UTSW Brothas and Sistas!

it would appear no one reads this, but on the off chance that someone does, have you guys purchased health insurance yet? the mega life plan the school recommends is $933 a month (based on what a rep told me over the phone). i haven't read through the policy but i imagine the typical limitations apply.

did you guys fork over the cash and get this plan or does anyone recommend any others? i'm cheap so i'd rather not spend a thousand bucks on this, but if i have no choice then ... i guess i have no choice.

v j said:
it would appear no one reads this, but on the off chance that someone does, have you guys purchased health insurance yet? the mega life plan the school recommends is $933 a month (based on what a rep told me over the phone). i haven't read through the policy but i imagine the typical limitations apply.

did you guys fork over the cash and get this plan or does anyone recommend any others? i'm cheap so i'd rather not spend a thousand bucks on this, but if i have no choice then ... i guess i have no choice.

i had megalife for one year as a grad student and I'd recommend getting another insurance policy if you have that option. Compared to others the megalife policy sucks. For exampple, i dont think they will pay if you get injured while playing intramural sprots and you have a $500 (it's either $300 or $500) prescription deductible :thumbdown:

BTW, How're you doing VJ?

Ahhhh summer vacation! :D

So I guess I will introduce a new topic, since my laptop just crashed and so I am unable to do my job for the next couple of days (what a great opportunity to while away time on SDN).

This is for people who (unlike myself) actually live in and know Texas. Is there any good hiking, climbing, or at least nice wildnerness walks that are accessible from Dallas? I definitely know about myself that the more time I spend in windowless, airless rooms like lecture halls and labs, the more I will feel the urge to get outside and away from anything built up or concrete. Thus, beautiful downtown Dallas will not do the trick =).

Any hiking aficionados out there have favorite places to go? Share your knowledge please!

See everyone soon,

Julia

You can go north of Dallas to like Allen, McKinney, Prosper, etc...some of it's a lot of country land (well at least it used to be) so there are some good, natural, open spaces...but I dunno about hiking :\

So I was thinking--we should all get together before class starts and have a party...if I can get at least like...10 people to come, I'll buy the first round! C'mon...free alcohol is always a plus ;)

Anyone look into alternative health insurance? I glanced at the American Medical Student Assoc insurance... anyone care to comment on how it compares to megalife? It is a little more expensive but I have no experience w/ MegaLife.

I just got back from vacation so I'm trying to find insurance too. Anyone found any good policies out there yet. Also is the cost of insurance included in our budget or not?

I will be applying to UTSW this year and I was hoping to get advice from you guys. i really want to go here. I'm sorry for posting here but I didn't know what else to do.

I'm having trouble coming up with something good for the secondary essay for UTSW.
I was hoping some of you guys could PM me the essay you used so i could work of it.

Thank you so much.
p.s. the i believe the topics are the same from last year.

Hi!
Just got back from Costa Rica and trying to get stuff figured out like ya'll. I had Mega Life in the past. It is cheap and you can get signed up for it over the net in about five minutes. As for prescriptions, usually the student clinic should give cheap prescriptions... so not sure if that will be a problem for you guys or not.

Before I went on the trip, I thought I read something about being able to go to school to get a student ID made. Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

If anyone is interested, I would be happy to plan a pool party (laid back and free) or we can all just go to the bar (there are a lot of nice bars in Dallas).

Tiffany

Tiffany - I believe that you can go to the Student Center and have your ID made before school starts so that you can begin to use the gym and what not. I think I am also going with mega life just because it's cheap and i'm not sure what makes up a great insurance plan. I live in Dallas so whenever you all want to get together let me know.

Bright Star said:
Tiffany - I believe that you can go to the Student Center and have your ID made before school starts so that you can begin to use the gym and what not. I think I am also going with mega life just because it's cheap and i'm not sure what makes up a great insurance plan. I live in Dallas so whenever you all want to get together let me know.

I had my ID made... It is simple, just go to the admissions/student affairs office next to the gym entrance and tell them who you are. They'll fix you up right quick. You are still going to have to pay for parking, though (unless you leave the visitor section after 5pm, then it is free). I got a one month parking sticker for $10.

I'm up for a pre-matriculation drink... What say you?

Just say where and when. I am still working a little, but I have tried to keep my schedule as clear as possible.

Likewise, up for chill pre-matric. events. I'm officially moving to Dallas on Aug 8...hope to meet some of you guys before the 13th! I'm afraid I can't be of much help planning, since I know exactly nothing about what good stuff there is in Dallas. My contribution can be to body count.

Tiffany - I can't wait to hear stories about Costa Rica!!! I am *still* carrying around Colones coins in my wallet =).

--Julia

I hear gloria's on lemmon has a nice happy hour mon-thurs. And I've also hear alot of students go to the Gingerman, Manhatten and Old Monk.

Jonathan

-An ear to the ground and lips to the glass... ;-)

jboyd said:
I hear gloria's on lemmon has a nice happy hour mon-thurs. And I've also hear alot of students go to the Gingerman, Manhatten and Old Monk.

My vote would be for nearer the end of the week...say Thursday. Any location that has good atmosphere for conversation and good happy hour is down w/ me.

What say the rest?

Just let me know when and where, and I will be there...oh yeah, the cheaper the better...all the alcohol comes out of fin aid ;)

Hmm...I think I know you Jonathan...I think I met you and your wife at MS0 Day...of course, I could totally be wrong and just talking out of my ass...it happens.

I believe you I did meet you, I'm however not married. I can see how you might have made that mistake since I did sit at the married table at MS0day. Gloria's has $2 mojitos, sangrias, all beers and margaritas. I went last night and had a good time with some friends. I didn't really look at the food prices there (we had homemade lasagne at the apt).

jboyd said:
I believe you I did meet you, I'm however not married. I can see how you might have made that mistake since I did sit at the married table at MS0day. Gloria's has $2 mojitos, sangrias, all beers and margaritas. I went last night and had a good time with some friends. I didn't really look at the food prices there (we had homemade lasagne at the apt).
Ooooh nice...very inexpensive...so what does everyone think, then, about Thursday at Gloria's?

Sorry...I know I'm the one that suggested Thursday - but I actually just had plans come up w/ family. Does Wednesday work for everyone instead? What time does happy hour start/end?

--Julia

Sorry...I know I'm the one that suggested Thursday - but I actually just had plans come up w/ family. Does Wednesday work for everyone instead? What time does happy hour start/end?

--Julia

http://www.restauranteur.com/glorias/ is the website of the greenville gloria's (same as the lemmon one except for address). Happy hour is till closing at 11pm, the meals are fairly pricey (10-13$dinner 7$lunch) so it's prolly good for drinks, dip and conversation, they have a patio.

jboyd said:
http://www.restauranteur.com/glorias/ is the website of the greenville gloria's (same as the lemmon one except for address). Happy hour is till closing at 11pm, the meals are fairly pricey (10-13$dinner 7$lunch) so it's prolly good for drinks, dip and conversation, they have a patio.
Hmm looks good...so what day/time should we all get together? I know you said you changed your mind to Wednesday...but that is tomorrow (today)...might be too short notice?

don't make me plan anything, but i'll prolly bring my ms1 roomies along... maybe meeting up at 8or9ish. who all is coming?

Hey, I live right around the corner from the lemmon Gloria's. Their food is expensive and not very good, IMHO. I'll be there for sure. Thursday is it? Also, how will we know who is an MS0?

I would be up for meeting at Gloria's tonight at 9. How do we propose to find each other? Maybe the first few people could meet each other in the front entrance, and then let the hostess know where the "UTSW party" is seated, so others can ask as they come in?

Could others who are coming post here, so I know I will not be the only one? If it seems like no one is coming tonight, y'all could go tomorrow around the same time (and I will meet you at orientation).

jboyd on roomies pc...

We were at gloria's on mon @9 and it was empty, so it shouldn't be hard to see everyone. As the "camp coordinator" for the occasion, we should all meet up at 9pm tonight. Like i said previously, no idea how the food tastes, it is rather expensive so we will definetly be eating before (who wants to wait till 9 anyways...)

-jboyd

Hey guys...

So I tried to go to Gloria's tonight, but I was waaaay late because I got all turned around (so yeah, I'm a very new driver in Dallas), and when I got there the hostess didn't seem to know about any Southwestern students. I hung around for about 20min, but I didn't really know who I was looking for. It was pretty crowded on the patio.

Sorry if I missed anyone who was there. I'm figuring that maybe since SDN was down for so long this evening, maybe no one got the message that we wanted to meet tonight.

If you all decide to try for tomorrow, I will try and drop by late after my family affair. Just let's make a more concrete plan about how to find each other this time!

--Julia

no worries julia, me and the roomies had a wonderful time. I'm sorry about the mix up, we actually showed up late as well, time flies when your shirts are all wrinkled. Sorry about not telling the server, we figured that everyone had jetted out. I hope it didn't ruin your evening... I think I may have seen you out on the patio (we kept looking for students) but appearantly ms1s don't stand out all that well(so much for being camp coordinator).

-jonathan

Well, I am sorry I have been distracted for a few days and didn't check the thread. If you guys try again, be sure to put a note up. Is anyone going to the activity after Hawaiian Falls on Saturday?

Tiffany

Tiffany--

I'm thinking about the thing on Saturday...it will depend on how wiped out I am from the orientation day. I'd like to go in theory - at least, I'd like to meet people at some point. But knowing me, I'll be much more inclined to if I know at least a few people before the fact. Hopefully I'll be able to meet a few of you SDNers face-to-face during orientation.

Tiffany, I especially hope that we run into each other, so you can tell me all about your time in Costa Rica. And pictures, if you have them!

--Julia

Julia- I have been so bad about pics. I took them, but I haven't even downloaded half of them off of my camera. Besides, about 60% of them are bad photos of monkeys seen from a distance.

Did you guys know that someone that was supposed to be in our class got lost in the Himilayas? It has been in the news frequently here in Dallas and his parents just gave up the search. Apparently he had been traveling all summer and was lost just before his return trip.

On a lighter note, who is going to Seven tonight? Anyone? Anyone? It is after my bedtime, but maybe I'll sleep a little and then wake up and go.

Here are the details for anyone not checking their UTSW mail:

hello all!!! MS2's, it's our first wkend back so there's NO excuse for not coming out on FRIDAY night!!! MSI's, you haven't even started yet...MS3's, y'all need a night out!!! why would you want to go out this friday???
1) its the first almost-the-whole-school-outing of the year and you can catch up with everyone
....AND...
2) TIFFANY SUN IS TURNING TWENTY-ONE!!!

details:
-NO COVER for both MEN and ladies until 1am
-$5 long islands + other drink specials
-they will be closing out BOTH VIP sections for us and provide us with our own cocktail waitress(es)
-while the bar closes at 2am the place is rockin' til 4am...
*** Please RSVP to me by NOON this Thurs, Aug 11th. If you don't, then you won't be on the guest list. feel free to invite significant others, family, friends, whoever...just make sure you give me their names as well!
-the club is located at: 2505 Pacific Ave. We plan on showing up between 11 and 11:30pm...hope to see all of you there!!!

~michelle and lisa

neoncandle said:
Julia- I have been so bad about pics. I took them, but I haven't even downloaded half of them off of my camera. Besides, about 60% of them are bad photos of monkeys seen from a distance.

That's okay - you can just regail us w/ stories =). Most of my pictures never get off the computer either. The blessing and the curse of the digital camera age - total freedom to waste "film", but really little display power. Since I switched to digital, I'm really the only one that sees my pictures...no one else will stare at my desktop background that long.

I think I'll skip the thing tonight - also past my normal bedtime - and save my going-out energy for tomorrow night. If you go, share how it is!

--Julia